Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lease time (F.A.O. Chris Pettitt)

cbcadmin
Grafter

Re: Lease time (F.A.O. Chris Pettitt)

Quote from: Anotherone
These will be a high proportion of the ticket/calls.

I bow to your knowledge on such matters. Wink

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Vodafone FTTP via THG3000 & Three via ZTE MF286D

Previously - NowTV, John Lewis, Shell Energy, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Getting a resync without rebooting or power cycling would be the way to find out if you really want to know, but as you may not wish to do that for obvious reasons make a note of your sync speed and keep a careful watch. If/when you see a change in sync speed, checl if the WAN time has been reset.

Yes, that always happens (WAN time reset when sync speed changes).  My sync speed was constant during the 900 odd hours and has never been quite as good since!  I'll try the gateway hop but I have to do that during daylight hours as my SNR drops by about 2dB after dark. 
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well you weren't doing too bad then.  I have had longer periods and would have had longer this time if it hadn't been for a power dip coupled with UPS failure  Angry
Gateway hopping dropping PPPoA shouldn't affect your sync but I can understand why you don't want to risk it until daylight.
cbcadmin
Grafter

make a note of your sync speed

These? :-
US Trained Rate: 440  kbps
DS Trained Rate: 4010  kbps

Previously - NowTV, John Lewis, Shell Energy, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
Anotherone
Champion

Yes those are sync speeds. But your continued quoting of small sections of posts out of context of any problem you are seeing or proposed action on your part, is meaningless, in any event you know you have a dropping connection.
Just sort out your internal wiring as per the thread on that topic.
cbcadmin
Grafter

Yes those are sync speeds.

Thank you.
They are still exactly the same this morning. No drop outs since :Nov 17 11:39:46 and I'm still using the plug-in internal extension.

Anotherone
Champion

See my comments on your extension wiring thread.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I tried a disconnect and reconnect (about 5 minutes later).  This did reset the clock but did not appear to attempt a renegotiation of the sync rates.  So I stand by my assertion that I managed a single PPP session lasting around 900 hours, staring in September and finishing at the end of October.  I would say that this evidence supports the assertion that there is no (maximum) lease time associated with a PPP session.  
cbcadmin
Grafter

See my comments on your extension wiring thread.

You are "muddying the waters" by taking the problem over to another thread.  Sad

cbcadmin
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
there is no (maximum) lease time associated with a PPP session.  

Have we proved there is no minimum either? Or should that be a minimum of zero?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As far as I'm aware (and as mentioned in my post on page 1 of this thread) there is no minimum lease, you will be assigned a new dynamic IP on each reconnect assuming you don't have a static IP address from us.
If having the same IP address is important you can have a static one for a one off fee.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
cbcadmin
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
As far as I'm aware

Yes, thanks; I think I acknowledged your assumption.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

OK, I was just reasserting it as this thread still seems to be asking the same question?
Also, extending the IP lease time isn't going to stop a disconnection from happening, all that would do is reassign the same IP after you've reconnected.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
cbcadmin
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
If having the same IP address is important you can have a static one for a one off fee.

Were do I find details on this please? It wasn't available last time I looked.
p.s. Looks as if connection has dropped again. Sad

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It is only available on Extra not on Value