Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency on BNGs vs older gateways

chrcoluk
Grafter

Re: Latency on BNGs vs older gateways

I seen the same also.
Basically I was on bng 01, and hopped due to ipv6 been broken, before hopping my base latency was higher than normal at 19ms, I then was put back on bng01 but it went down to 13ms, so must have been a different BTw route.
After hopping for 2nd time I back on an older gateway with working ipv6, and base latency of 15ms.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: chrcoluk
Basically I was on bng 01, and hopped due to ipv6 been broken, before hopping my base latency was higher than normal at 19ms, I then was put back on bng01 but it went down to 13ms, so must have been a different BTw route.
After hopping for 2nd time I back on an older gateway with working ipv6, and base latency of 15ms.

That's exactly what I'd expect (which is what I  think you're saying Smiley )  You shouldn't see significant performance/speed differences though between gateways.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Bumping this up as due to yesterday's outage, I have been moved from gateway ptw-bng01 at 4ms latency to ptn-bng01 at 8ms latency.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Kelly
There are multiple fibres into each gateway, which come from quite a few different BT nodes.  This is why two people who live next door, connect to the same gateway could see significantly differing speeds. 

That explains why the same gateways are giving me different results, thanks for that. I've been jumping gateways for a little while now, purely out of interest I've popped a few graphs of me doing just that below.
xreyuk
Grafter

I always want to connect to ptw-bng01 as it gives me the lowest latency. However, it can take a few jumps on and off this gateway until I get the lowest latency. It's not much, but the best route to this gateway gives me 21ms, where as the worst route can give 26ms.
chrcoluk
Grafter

I wish ipv6 be fixed on the bng's tho as the system that decides which gateway I am on has a habit of picking bng.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

It will be hard to get onto an e320 right now because the balancing system is favouring the BNGs to get them back into balance with the rest of the platform.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
AndyH
Grafter

For the first time ever, I am getting 4ms and lower to bbc.co.uk on a BNG (ptw-bng01).
Edit: Well that was short-lived. Pings back to 7-8ms now....  Huh