cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency issues while gaming

lewshann
Grafter

Latency issues while gaming

So recently I contacted you guys about having slow speeds overall and the problem for that was fixed, but now since that issue has been fixed my latency in both PC gaming and Console gaming has gone horrible for the most part... Sometimes my latency can be as low as 37 (lowest i've seen it) but then it spikes up to 500+ at random times for a good few minutes.
Nobody else is using anything internet related apart from myself, running speed tests during the lag spike moments tells me the speed is fine (on both speedtest.net and bt speedtester (results of that below))
Games I have been playing that i've had issues with:
World of Warcraft
Minecraft
League of Legends
Star Wars - The Old Republic
Dungeon Defenders
Team Fortress 2
Call of Duty 4
Call of Duty MW3
Speedtester.bt results:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 9.33 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 10.66 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 934Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 832 Kbps
Any ideas as to what could be causing this issue?
Note: I'm connected by wire and the router is in the same room as the PC & Xbox.
13 REPLIES 13
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Latency issues while gaming

Are you using the thompson Router ?
as i have no end of gaming problems with my connection with BF3 , but yet my connection is perfect all,  PN tests say nowt wrong  Shocked  but sometimes it gets to bad to play so i just presume it must be the router dont like gamers  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
lewshann
Grafter

Yeah, I'm using the thompson TG585v8
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@lewshann
How frequent are the ping spikes you're seeing? Do you happen to notice what the lights on the front of the router are doing when the ping spikes up (we're seeing a few disconnections on your line and I'm wondering if they are related).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@rongtw
I too play BF3 on PC via a Plusnet connection and don't see the same issues you're referring too. When it gets too bad to play are these always at the same time of day or does it vary? Do you use torrent software at all?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
lewshann
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
@lewshann
How frequent are the ping spikes you're seeing? Do you happen to notice what the lights on the front of the router are doing when the ping spikes up (we're seeing a few disconnections on your line and I'm wondering if they are related).

These ping spikes have actually started becoming more of a peroid of time rather than 'spikes' if you get me.. like last night it happened for 4 hours (7-11PM) and today it's been unacceptable most of the day..
It shouldn't be because of peak times because before my local exchange got upgraded i never had these issues at all.
Also the disconnections you are seeing is most likely from me resetting the router, because that actually fixes the problem sometimes.
One more thing, I've been using speedtest.net a lot and I've noticed that whenever there has been issues the area inwhich i'm placed at on the map is shown is far south on the map, whereas when it's running fine my position is further north (attached photo to show that better) The green circle while the triangle inside is where it is when it's slow, and the red circle is roughly where it is when it's fine. Don't know if that actually means anything it's just something i've picked up on.
Regarding the lights on the router. The Ethernet light is blinking constantly and in sync with the Internet light. The Wireless light blinks sometimes and stays on for the most part. The Broadband and power lights are solid

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Hi chris , Torrents  Lips_are_sealed no way  Sad
Yes it always evenings  Sad daytime is perfect  Wink
i get this warning triangle  and its impossible to play  Sad
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi lewshann,
With you saying that rebooting cures it, it may be the gateway you're connected to. You could try seeing which gateway you're connected to at the time, and that might help find out what's happening.
@rongtw, I notice you're using the original router we sent you, which has the old firmware. This was known to have wireless issues, so wondering if that isn't helping. What happened to the other ones we sent you?
Jojo Smiley
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Hi jojo yes i have a spare here , but when mr BT came to test my line he suggested swapping router , i just havent got round to swap it back  Wink as didnt think would make a lot of difference
lewshann
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
Hi lewshann,
With you saying that rebooting cures it, it may be the gateway you're connected to. You could try seeing which gateway you're connected to at the time, and that might help find out what's happening.
@rongtw, I notice you're using the original router we sent you, which has the old firmware. This was known to have wireless issues, so wondering if that isn't helping. What happened to the other ones we sent you?
Jojo Smiley

Just checked that link you posted, heres what I got:
You are currently connected to the gateway known as ptw-ag01.
This is located in Telehouse West.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Hi lewshann, yes i have also had to do this several times , and actually it works  Wink  for a while as obviously people keep swapping to find a less busy gateway  Roll_eyes
lewshann
Grafter

Is it possible for me to change gateway manually then, or do I have to get someone to do that for me?
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

yes m8 just restart router , from router web page < Thompson Gateway > then  " REstart my thompson gateway" 
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

In fact to change gateways there is no need to restart the router. With the TG585 if you login to the router's web interface at http://192.168.1.254 you will see a Disconnect button on the right hand side of the page. Clicking that disconnects you from Plusnet (but maintains sync with the exchange); the button will change to Connect; Now click Connect and your connection to Plusnet will be restored generally using a different gateway.
David