Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency Issues

panoSs1
Dabbler

Latency Issues

Hi there.

On the 29th of Oct around 11-12 in the morning the net dropped for around 4 mins. After this I noticed a constant increase in the last hops of the vpn server I use for a particular game ( I have attached screenshot). I never had increased latency on these particular hops beforehand over the last 2 month I have moved in the property. I tried rebooting net after 10 mins for some times in case maybe it gets rerouted but to no avail. In the screenshot you will find exact comparison of what is going on in this particular pathway. Initially, I would consider that it has nothing to do with plusnet since all the hops beforehand generate same ms. But since a disconnect happened in that morning I find it unlikely that is unrelated to you guys.Same exact thing happened with Virgin Media when they would reboot their servers but would last some hours once per week at nights. Please check attached image and ask me anything more if you need so.

Many Thanks

Panos 

10 REPLIES 10
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: Latency Issues

@panoSs1,

I've checked your connection and cannot see any issues with it, other than the drop you noted yesterday and then your reboot. 

What caused that drop I cannot tell, but the odd drop can occur every now and then on every line and it's not something I would be particular concerned about because, aside from this one instance your connection has been extremely stable. 

Unfortunately I'm not sure on an ISP level how much assistance we can be in this situation as, as you've noted, all the hops on our network appear fine. Initially my advice would be that the discrepancy is from just after the connection had reestablished, but I'd maybe expect to see higher on the other hops too and the screenshots don't really show this. 

Maybe one of the other forum member is able to offer some advice, but account and service wise there don't appear to be any issues.

panoSs1
Dabbler

Hi.

The issue is clearly on your end and not related to my router/modem or cabinet. My isp is stable as you stated but the increase in ping on the last hops has to do with something on your servers.

To prove of this I asked a friend living in UK as well but with Virgin Media to do exact test on same address. His results are here https://imgur.com/a/uIMcexW as well as attached.

It is not the first time I experienced this issue but IT IS the first time with Plusnet. I had the same issue abroad with the provider I was using where every week they would reboot their servers the increased latency could happen and unless I called and attached e-mail they wouldn't bother check on their end. 

Virgin Media would have same issue some hours once per week late night. 

As you can see from the screenshot, the hops before the ones with the problem are the same between both companies and we also have the same best before the marked hops. But on last 2 hops Plusnet's suddenly doubles while Virgin's is same as before. Plusnet didn't have this issue before I posted the problem. I also noticed an increase in some other addresses I checked on my vpn on your end.

Please if you have no general understanding of the problem forward me to colleague of yours.

Thanks

Panos   

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Panos.

Your line is testing absolutely fine with no issues detected as shown below:

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 72.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Target Fix Time  
Fault Report Advised N
Estimated Line Length In Metres 340.3
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Retransmission Low
Time Stamp 2018-10-18T10:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 71.7 Mbps 73.0 Mbps 72.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 19.9 Mbps 19.9 Mbps 19.9 Mbps
Up Time 368.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 898.5 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2018-10-31T10:04:37Z 2018-10-31T10:19:37Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

There are no signs of congestion on the S-VLAN you're on, and no reported capacity issues.

VLAN Analysis
Circuit ID: N/A Service ID:  
VLAN ID:   Test Executed On: 2018-10-31T10:34:38.276Z

Date HOT VLAN(Yes/No) Action Fix Date  
31-10-2018 NO    

30-10-2018 NO    

29-10-2018 NO    

28-10-2018 NO    

27-10-2018 NO    

26-10-2018 NO    

25-10-2018 NO

I've checked the connection between the cabinet and your router, that seems stable too:

From looking at the traceroute you've done, the increase in latency starts at hop 9 and carries on towards the end, which suggests something at hope 9 may be causing the problem.

It may be worth doing more troubleshooting and diagnostics, for example are your devices connecting over WiFi or Ethernet, and can you run a WinMTR posting up the results? A Wireshark may also help out.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
panoSs1
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf.

I am aware that my modem and cabinet are fine since I have had no increased latency on the initial hops. I use ethernet of course.

A winmtr has already been attached and can be found here https://imgur.com/a/uIMcexW

The 1st table is Plusnet with problem

The 2nd table is Plusnet without 

The 3rd table is Virgin Media run by a friend same days as when Plusnet's problem happened

Last 4 hops are identical.. On the circled last 2 hops Plusnet almost doubles the latency.

Since these changes happened with reset on the 29th and since my modem/cabinet are fine and since Plusnet has this issue while another company does not, it is proof enough that something is wrong with your servers over the last 2 days.

Here is another test from my friend https://imgur.com/a/6NVPYB8 . His ping seems perfectly fine.

There has been increased latency on many pathways on your end going to Netherlands or Germany as I checked.

As I said before I had similar issue in past abroad every time my isp would reset their servers. Unless I called it would not get fixed same day but I would have to wait for their next reset.

If you want to locate the problem, have a look on what is going on in these hops or what happened on the 29th around 12-13 in the morning on your end. 

Many Thanks 

Panos

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @panoSs1,

Having reviewed the information previously sent and having retested your line today, I can't see any issues from our end of things. As this is the case I'm afraid there's nothing we can do at this stage to offer support with this issue. That being said, we're unable to visit Imgur as it is blocked internally at work, so if you would like to reupload the images within this thread, we'd be happy to review them as well.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
panoSs1
Dabbler

Hi @TheMightyAJ @Gandalf .

I attached the tests since imgur is blocked. 

As I said 

The 1st table is Plusnet with problem

The 2nd table is Plusnet without 

The 3rd table is Virgin Media run by a friend same days as when Plusnet's problem happened

Last 4 hops are identical.. On the circled last 2 hops Plusnet almost doubles the latency

I also attached another test from my friend with different isp His ping seems perfectly fine.

Please stop checking my line, I have already mentioned 2 times prior that it's not my line  since I have had no increased latency on the initial hops and was confirmed as well Gandalf. If you cannot check what is what is going on your end in the later hops, forward it someone who can please. Please read previous message which thoroughly explains the problem while being able to see winmtr attached now.

Thank you

Panos

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @panoSs1,

No further line checks will be performed and thank you for attaching a screen print of the traceroute.

If the latency issue was caused by our network you would see latency throughout the traceroute and not the final two hops. It appears this is potentially an issue with the network of the server you are contacting as the latency increases once it reaches their network.

I would recommend contacting this company to determine the issue with their network.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
panoSs1
Dabbler

Hi @Jubby

"If the latency issue was caused by our network you would see latency throughout the traceroute and not the final two hops. It appears this is potentially an issue with the network of the server you are contacting as the latency increases once it reaches their network."

If the latency issue is unrelated to your company, why would another isp that has IDENTICAL LAST 4 hops as yours has no issue presented? In the images I attached if you check the traceroute, you would see that both isp have NEARLY SAME BEST up until the last 2 hops. If there is an issue with the network of the server I am contacting wouldn't it the same case for another isp under these conditions... Also why did change happened when my router reset (which implies something happened on your end) on the 29th?

In my defense since you didn't check further besides my line, 2 things would be the logical outcome. One is the one you suggested. The other one and most likely in my opinion since I provided data proof is something that has to do  with Plusnet and these servers after the 29th 

So before I start checking on who to contact since in your opinion the issue has nothing to do with you, could you please tell me if any of you did check anything unrelated to my line, such as forwarding the issue or finding out what happened on the 29th? Also could you tell me " It appears this is potentially an issue with the network of the server you are contacting as the latency increases once it reaches their network." why is not the case for another isp after the 29th? Check 2nd attached image I sent last time.

Thanks 

Panos

panoSs1
Dabbler

The issue is still ongoing. Anyone that is capable of checking anything besides my line and can give a justified reply regarding what I have posted?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to heat you're still having issues..

I'm afraid that there isn't anything further we can do regarding this

As per my colleagues responses above if the issue is happening on the last few hops this is out of our control

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team