cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large cut in IP Profile?

Issuls

Large cut in IP Profile?

Hiya, just over a week ago, I experienced an intermittent connection (happens almost monthly, but not the issue I want to discuss) - along with it, download speeds dropped from ~300KB/s to 40KB/s.
This has persisted after the intermittent connection, so I checked your thread on how to diagnose speed issues.

0.25Mbps seems too low for the old speeds, and strangely enough, also below the upstream. I suspect the upstream hasn't changed at all since the intermittent connection.
Am I right to think that this is a result of BT updating their profile during the intermittent connection?
EDIT: Checked the router details this morning.
DSL Type:	ITU-T G.992.3
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 572
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26,0 / 49,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20,8 / 12,7

EDIT 2:
Ticket reference number.
8 REPLIES 8
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Large cut in IP Profile?

Quote from: Issuls
I experienced an intermittent connection (happens almost monthly, but not the issue I want to discuss) - along with it, download speeds dropped from ~300KB/s to 40KB/s.

Hi Issuls,
Welcome to the forums, sorry to hear of your problems and thank you for starting the thread off with so much useful information.
This is very much what needs to be discussed!  The speed of this line is well below parr and the SNRM figure is twice what it should be.  There is something very much wrong with the phone line, which until fixed is going to continue to deliver a poor broadband experience.  Can you please check through the following?
Is the phone line noisy?  Dial 17070 option 2 using a corded phone in the master socket.
Is the router connected to the master socket?  If no please plug router in there and repost router stats.
Is the lower half of the master socket removable, exposing a test socket?  If yes, please try the router in there and post new stats.
Are there any extensions?  Do all phones in extension sockets have filters?
Depending upon the above answers, you might need to get your phone line provider to investigate the phone line before attempting to progress a broadband fault.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Issuls

Thanks for the response!
Is the phone line noisy?
It was during the intermittence, I have not checked since. I will get back to you on this.
EDIT: Quiet line test had almost no noise at all, though I just now was not able to connect to the internet, either.
Is the router connected to the master socket?
Yes, it the test was made in the test socket.
Are there any extensions?  Do all phones in extension sockets have filters?
The master socket is the only one in use, there is a microfilter attached and the router/phone are directly connected to it.

As for the intermittent connection issue, we're not certain. We had an engineer visit, and he figured the Microfiler was the issue - the microfilter was old and needed to be updated, which he did. The same problem happened again for 2-3 days early july, and again around the 15th-20th. They always last just a couple of days, then dissipate.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Issuls,
This has all of the hall marks of bad joints / wet weather issues.  Can you correlate the problem to wet / damp weather?
Is your phone service provided by PlusNET?  If yes, then it would just get on with raising a fault report here - http://faults.plus.net
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Issuls

Yes, our phone provider is PusNET.
I don't think the problem directly related to weather - the connection has been fine during periods of heavy rain, but I will check out the fault site.
EDIT: Still no noise on the quiet line test, this really does seem to be periodic, isolated problems.
EDIT2:
The faults section immediately redirects me, stating a ticket has been raised and all of the relevant information has been provided. I then cannot find anywhere on the site that will allow me to check the context of the ticket or add information.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
Tickets are found in the user portal - go here http://www.plus.net/help/?home=helptop
Click the MY QUESTIONS link - you will be prompted to login.
WARNING: up dating a ticket will move it backwards in the queue - do not do it unless essential!  Consider posting the reference number here to assist CRT staff.

Issuls

Oh, found out why. The ticket it was referring to was a week old one that was handled by phone calls. Whoops.
I've added the ticket number to the first post, and I will see what I can do about arranging an engineer once I can risk the fee, since that seems to be the best option presented there. Thank you.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Blimey why it still 512K broadband? Surely u can get ADSL up to 8Mbps now?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

GF,
There is a fault on the line!  Given the right conditions, ADSL will run up-to 24Mbps.
Quote from: Anotherone
Quote from: goldenfibre
Ah ok fair point. Only just suggestion!

Perhaps it would be better to make suggestions on matters you know about rather than those that you don't. Your suggestions would be more welcome then.