cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lag on Xbox when anyone opens a browser

Deancwb

Lag on Xbox when anyone opens a browser

Hi guys, wonder of any of you can help me.
Since last week I've been having this incredibly annoying issue with my Internet what it is is when I'm online playing a game on my Xbox say for example FIFA 13 if someone as much as goes on google I get an insane lag spike for a good 3-5 seconds it doesn't matter what they go on every page change creates this effect. I have done my utmost to resolve it but to no avail for example I have switched micro filters changed my wires be it Ethernet or the one connected to my micro filter.
I have also tested my pc with the very same problem going onto games and getting people to load a page on there phone etc no lag at all.
Plusnet have said my line is fine which I accept but it cannot be any gear I have at this side as I've changed it all. Router,cat5, wired or wireless and I still receive the issue.
Only tonight when I decided to install a desktop gadget called network meter I looked at it and when I received this lag spike I noticed that the downstream graph shot right up to its max capacity then back down again, so if its not the line then it must be my network I.e the router?
Really at a loose end now as it has baffled me completely, I have changed the router too...
Ps ping and tracert showed no signs of problems either. Oh and it's not localised to one game it's any Xbox game. Ports forwarded also..
13 REPLIES 13
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Lag on Xbox when anyone opens a browser

Which product are you on ? ADSL / FTTC / Unlimited etc ?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Plusnet boast about their clever traffic management system that is supposed to stop this sort of thing happening.
picbits
Rising Star

There was an issue recently where a customer had the wrong speed profile applied to his account and the traffic prioritisation was over subscribing the bandwidth available.
I've also seen similar stuff happen when wireless G devices have accessed a wireless N router and it temporarily glitches.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

if someone as much as goes on google I get an insane lag spike for a good 3-5 seconds

Hi there,
Whilst keeping in mind that there could be other causes for this I'm wondering what that might entail, i.e could it be something quite bandwidth intensive that's being run or does this just happen if a browser is opened with little or no activity taking place on your connection?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Classic gaming and anything else online do not mix if on adsl.  If you have a slow connection speed and someone starts looking at youtube/facebook etc then yes it will lag you in game
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Deancwb

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try and answer them all at once, firstly it's anything I do on any device no matter how bandwidth intensive, still the same spike. I have no idea exactly what my connection is I'm only aware of the speed which is 8 down and 0.35 up normally, and I'm on the unlimited plan.
I live in student halls, and the lads downstairs have the exact same router and Internet from plus net and they do not have this problem I am getting.
Lastly I'd like to point out the last post, gaming plus browsing your email should not lag you out in the slightest maybe if your still on a 56k modem I'd accept that but there is no way that those two are sucking up my whole connection I've been doing it months without any issues.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I've checked over your connection and can see no obvious issues. Is there a chance there could be anybody else connected to your router?
Deancwb

Nope not a chance, i regularly check whos on my network and i am the only one with the password.
As i said in previous post, guys downstairs have 4 people on there i have one and they dont get this problem.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Something to check
I assume that the xbox is connected by wireless 
Do you get the same effect when the other computers are wired and wireless
Deancwb

Wired my friend dont touch wireless
Deancwb

oh and yes doesnt matter if its wired or wireless it still does the little lag crap
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Just wondering if its feasible for you to borrow a router (perhaps from the guys on Plusnet downstairs) just to do a quick test by connecting it to your line and see if the same problem occurs.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Deancwb

Was going to test it with the new one from yourselves but its it hasn't arrived yet, been about a week now!  Sent off a mail to make sure it was getting ordered.
So ill post back when i get that and test it.
Odds of it being router are surely slim i already have 2 from a previous fault.
Tested both already also.