cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LLU Query

julesandsand
Grafter

LLU Query

If I take BB from an ISP with LLU at my local exchange what, if any, are the (potential) benefits?
27 REPLIES 27
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: LLU Query

The benefits depend on your current situation. Are you unhappy with your current price? Speed? Usage? Anything else that we could address for you?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: julesandsand
what, if any, are the (potential) benefits?

Depending on your exchange and suppliers active there you may get ADSL2+ if BT aren't doing it yet ("up to" 24mbps).
Whether this is of any use will depend on how far you are from the exchange (attenuation) and whether higher speeds are actually any use to you.
You will escape BT's DLM, if this has been a problem for you. Different LLU suppliers have their own different systems so whether this is an advantage will depend on what problems you've had.
There are other differences, but those are the main ones I encounter regularly.
julesandsand
Grafter

Not had any particular problems, but after a PN regrade I was left with an lower speed (enticed with the promise of higher speed), a higher price (which took too long to address) and a change from unlimited to a limited package therefore am looking elsewhere. My exchange is Stirling and the LLU supplier says that I 'could' achieve a speed of 8-10Mbps, roughly double what I have now, with unlimited download. Someone else in town gets 18Mbps with the LLU supplier- admittedly not local to me.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

unless you want dragging down into the gutter by Carphone Warehouse group, the only one on your list that people seem to trust is Sky, not sure about Orange or Bulldog
julesandsand
Grafter

Not interested in CPW and I will be keeping my BT phone line.

Alxns
Grafter

You need to watch "unlimited" as they usually have a fair usage policy of between 40 & 80 GB.
julesandsand
Grafter

I use about 50Gb a month, most of it streaming radio to a Sonos but now have a couple of 'internet-ready' TVs and would like to make greater use of the iPlayer and Sky Player.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I can see that you're currently on Premium which gives you 80GB of peak time usage and haven't gone over 60GB in the past 3 months. Your estimated speed on ADSL2+ is 5.5Mbps which is your current profile. Unfortunately I can't do anything about your price as you're already on a low cost exchange on a legacy product but everything else seems to fall in line.
If another provider has promised anything more for you then we can always re-visit this and see if there's anything that we can do, who's tempting you at the moment?
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: pierre_pierre
, not sure about Orange or Bulldog
  Click this link and view the additional log that appears. Grin Grin
http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
itsme
Grafter

Shame about Bulldog as they did a broadband package ideal for second homes. It was a PAYG broadband without any monthly subscription.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

what that swearword down the bottom, what dont they screw up
MikeyM
Grafter

I have a friend who lives in Stirling, they get 19MB from Sky LLU.
julesandsand
Grafter

Yes I too have a friend in town with a similar speed. I'm going with Xilo and I've noticed that since changing my router  and disconnecting and reconnecting a few times in one day my BB speed with PN has dropped by 30%.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

That might be BTs DLM system misinterpreting these disconnections as a poor line.  It's the vagaries of this system that, to my mind, provide the best reason for going with a LUU supplier.