Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LLU + Future

lowry
Grafter

LLU + Future

Hey guys,
I haven't been on here in ages - mainly because I no longer am a broadband subscriber, so I hope I don't look like I'm intruding. I was a PlusNet customer for about 2 years and was a member of the usergroup for about 10 months. I was just wondering what PlusNet's plans for the future were. I'm currently with Sky for broadband at home, and will probably end up with them at my house at university in Liverpool next term as I'm sharing with 5 others,  it's cost-effective and in reality, is a good solid reliable service.
Thing is though, I love the approach that PlusNet have of their open, honest service but I can no longer really think of it as being cost-effective. When adding say TV, phone and broadband together it no longer seems to make sense. PlusNet did seem to think along the lines of LLU for a while, but I know that it didn't really go all that well and some people didn't want to be moved. However, it does seem to be the only way to drive costs down. Are new customers alot slower since Sky and Be etc started or maybe, as I think it is, having a steady stream of customers but not too much demand, perhaps has made for a better PlusNet. PlusNet are doing brilliantly these days from a now outsider looking in as they have won many awards, their community site is fantastic and so forth.
Just curious on PlusNet's opinion on the future. I know with BT as owners LLU is probably out of the question and I know there is a price to be paid for customer service but I suppose a balance must be struck somewhere. I don't want folks to think that just because PN no longer suit my needs, that they should change to do so!
Thanks for any comments,
matt Wink
14 REPLIES 14
Not applicable

Re: LLU + Future

Hey Matt, hope you are well!
Since PN were bought by BT, they stopped provisioning people on LLU - clearly there would be a bit of a conflict if PN were effectively giving business to a BT competitor rather than part of the BT family.
Its OK for BT and PN to both exist in the group, as they both occupy different spaces in the market, and ultimately giving the customers a choice between the two gives better market coverage and keeps the cash in one pocket (so to speak).
I haven't heard an subscriber numbers from PN recently, so I can't speak about numbers - the steady addition of central pipes tells its own story however, as the provision of these is linked to customer numbers and capacity. (Haven't kept up to date with recent additions, so don't know what narrative to attach however.)
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

In one of the blogs the other day I read something about them just passing 300,000 subscribers, which is a lot of additions from the 200,000 they had last time I heard.  This may include MAAF though.  I don't know much about the size of them to know if 100,000 is too small for them.
Phil
PS.  Hi Matt, good to hear from you again.  Hope Liverpool is treating you well.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

James
Grafter

Hi Matt, good to see you about!
As Nick mentioned in his blog, our total number of customers has now passed 300,000.  This includes Brightview vISPs.
We currently have no plans to persue an LLU offering and we haven't placed any orders on LLU for the best part of 2 years.  We will however be using BTs WBMC ADSL2+ platform from this Autumn onwards.  Keep your eyes peeled for further information regarding that in the not too distant future.
terminal
Grafter

James
just out of interest (not sure if this has been discussed before) but with th advent of ADSL2+ what will happen to those of us that are currently on LLU. Will tiscali wholesale be offering adsl2+ (and if so will you be offering it) or will we be left out in the cold?
James
Grafter

Hi Terminal,
As far as I know from the meeting that we;ve been in, we don't have a finalised plan for our LLU customers, but we should be able to move them across too.
We won't be offering ADSL2+ on Tiscali.
spike64

Hi James,
Why should those customers that were put onto Tiscali LLU by Plusnet be excluded from ADSL2+?
What do we have to do to ensure that we can take advantage of the improved service that the rest of your customers will enjoy?
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

OT but AAMOI when the WBMC ADSL2+ emerges, will BT likely retain its much loved ( aka PITA)
speed profiling?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
James
Grafter

Spike,
I think you've missed what I've said.  We will be looking at moving Tiscali customers across but we don't have a finalised plan as of yet.
Lucerne,
WBMC will offer intelligent bRAS profiling.  without having seen it in action I'm afraid I can't give you any further details.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: lucerne
OT but AAMOI when the WBMC ADSL2+ emerges, will BT likely retain its much loved ( aka PITA)
speed profiling?

In English?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Dont think Lucerne wanted to if google is corect some is censored
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

First result was Association d'aide aux maîtres d'ouvrage individuels (AAMOI) World Beard And Moustache Championships (WBMC)  Paper Information Paper Technology Conferences (PITA) Crazy
but I think he meant As A Matter of Interest (AAMOI) Wholesale Broadband Managed Connect (WBMC)  Grin and I won't translate the last one but it makes it a little uncomfortable to sit down
lowry
Grafter

I googled it and got something to do with the medical ombudsman!
James, James + pjmarsh - good to pop back in! Hope you're all keeping well! I still lurk  Smiley
WBC won't bring the BT-based ISPs back on a level playing field price-wise with LLU, but I'd say the gulf in price will disappear over time. I'd come back to PN like that if it were cost-effective to do so Smiley
Thanks for your replies btw!
matt Wink
Ianwild
Grafter

Great to hear from you Matt mate - It's been a while.
LLU has put the ISPs who've invested in it in a good position for now, and I for one am really pleased with how competitive the industry is. It keeps us all on our toes, and that can only be a good thing for everyone involved (I may have colleagues who would disagree). Longer term I think it's a harder one to call. Where some will be tied into investments in their own private infrastructure, others will be able to take advantages of things like fibre to the curb (which I'm really pleased to see come up, even if it is too early to get excited).
I believe over time that pricing will balance out and that more services will emerge which differentiate ISPs. Hopefully that will give people like your good self plenty of reasons to come back to Plusnet.
Cheers for stopping by,
Ian
lowry
Grafter

Always a pleasure Ian! Hope you're well!
The advantage Sky + O2 etc. have at the moment, is great for the market but I do think it's a bit much for some small ISPs which might lessen competition in the long run. However, PlusNet, now as a part of BT Retail are in a great position - especially as you are able to run as a completely independent subsidiary. There's a market definitley for good value bundles (home phone + broadband) but good customer service (so slightly higher prices than TalkTalk for example). When dividing the cost by 6 in a shared house from September onwards, we'll be looking at all of these, and I'm not the pushy sort (too tame for my own good!), I'll have to make sure and keep us away from Tiscali ;). But, PN will always be an option - I miss it!
Great to see PlusNet in such good shape, I await your refresh tomorrow - all the best!
matt Wink