Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kitz

Wuz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Kitz

Dear all,
Dave recommended me to use this (on the old Metronet Forum).
I cannot get it to work. I tried first on 1/8/07, I use a Speedtouch 330 and the report said it failed to connect to the internet. I ran the trouble shooter and everything was set except I had to change to "always connect to internet" I used IE7 rather than my usual Firefox
It still didn't work despite closing my Comodo firewall and Boclean.
I gave up today got a warning on bootup that three trojans had been deleted and did I want the files deleted. Did that and tried again with same result.
By the way I use Comodo as Zone Alarm refused to download after a reformat and reinstalling XP after the first fatal crash since my Win 95 days. I suspect bits remained. e
It mentions the dialup connection. I haven't a dialup modem connected and always have problems on the rare occassions I have tried to connect via it.
Also use Avast, CCleaner and Lavasoft Ad aware. I suspect I should be closing something but in view of the trojan attack am reluctant to muck about too much.
Sorry If this should be on a sticky thread as it is my first post here and I am dazzled by all the whiteness!
Thanks in advance for any ideas
Wuz
Wuz
8 REPLIES 8
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Kitz

You cannot get what to work?
It is not clear from your post what problem you are trying to solve. You may have detailed this on the metronet forum but we (I) have no idea what 'it' is?
jazz
Grafter

I presume you are referring to a particular page on the Kitz website and the link is no longer working.  You can access the main site at www.kitz.co.uk and find the page you want through the index there (I guess you were probably being referred to one of the pages on the site about MTU or SNR or Reading Router Stata or something?).  Hope this address helps
Wuz
Rising Star

I asked how to decide if it was worth going for Max as the BT site now says I could get 2mb rather than my cuurent one. I tried the site for my Speedtouch 330 by running Diagnostics. However it goes through four stages My computer, speedtouch, ISP and internet. It reports a problem with the last one and the troubleshooter doesn't  point to any changes I should make. There is something wrong with my set up or the Speedtouch 330 but I haven't an idea as to what it is. Any ideas
I disabled the Comodo firewall but still cannot get  it to work. 
Daves reply is as below as I couldn't post a link!
Thanks
Wuz

dtomlinson
PlusNet Comms Team

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2007 09:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
I think the best way to decide on whether to go on Max or not will depend on your line stats. You can get the stats from most routers and modems, this page shows how on most:
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm
If you want to post them back (or to the community site) we should be able to make an estimate of the expected speed you'd see.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

That link works fine, and I assume you successfully downloaded the Dr Speedtouch program since you mention "Diagnostics".  So the problem is nothing to do with accessing Kitz' website it's to do with installing or running Dr Speedtouch?
Is that correct?  And (assuming it is) is it installing the program or running it?
David
mar7t1n
Rising Star

Try http://www.samknows.com/. This will tell you the distance to your exchange and expected line rates based on distance. Until you have MAX you'll never really know as it's different equipment. I'm 2.1km and I get a stable rate of 3.5Mbps sometimes 4Mbps. But I know people much further out who get it almost as good, and people who live on top of their exchange who moan like furey that their line is slow.
Wuz
Rising Star

Good site. The site says I won't get 2mb and might get 1mb so I will stick with what I have - 1mb.
Especially as disabling my Firewall etc for 10 minutes meant I suffered a trojan attack! Not worth it as it is likely a speedtouch and some setting that stops the checker connecting. Might be a bit of Zonealarm as when I reformated after a system crash it would not reinstall as it dedected the remains of the previous installation. After many attempts I now use Comodo!
I intend to replace the modem sometime in the next year so will review when I go wireless.
Many thanks,
Wuz
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Kerio stopped developing the free firewall some time ago. It was bought by Sunbelt and renamed and is no longer free.
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Home-Home-Office/Sunbelt-Personal-Firewall/
paulby
Grafter

For reference, if you need to completely remove Zone Alarm from a system you need to do a "Clean Uninstall" as detailed here, otherwise it leaves stuff on your PC (config files etc.).