cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kind PlusNet folk, please nudge my stuck Line Speed?

mplusnetuser
Grafter

Re: Kind PlusNet folk, please nudge my stuck Line Speed?

Thanks. I've just been bumped and reconnected, so I guess it has begun.
I've been through retraining a few times, so I know that I'll probably see a few reconnects and a fluctuating sync speed.
But if the reset fixes this profile discrepancy, then when will I see increased actual download speeds? Do we have to wait for 10 days? Or if downloads are still stuck at 6.5Mb now/in an hour/tomorrow then do we immediately know that it has not/will not fix the problem?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

It looks like your speeds have now improved, how are things your end?
mplusnetuser
Grafter

Quote from: townman
Quote from: mplusnetuser
It's wired only (and I don't have a wireless device to test).

Stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway... is your wired ethernet connection 100Mbps or better?  Huh
If its is 10Mbps it might explain why you cannot get the full profile transfer rate.
...I did say it was a stupid question, but life has taught me that asking stupid questions eliminates presumptions!  Tongue

There are no stupid questions :). But 1) Matt says the consistency check on the line shows that the profile 'cap' at ~8.6 (and therefore download 'cap' at ~6.5) would apply to whatever is connected here. And 2) yes it is, both by specification, and as reported by Windows Network Connections.
Good thought, though, thanks.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Now it's reset I'd at least expect the profile to change (especially as we won't be restricting it at this end, unless it goes above 11600), if it's still stuck at 6.5Mb let us know as we'll need to get a fault raised to have it looked into.
mplusnetuser
Grafter

Quote from: chrispurvey
It looks like your speeds have now improved, how are things your end?

No better yet. Sync and Profile are insignificantly lower at 11.7 and 10.34, but downloads are still stuck at 6.54 Sad
mplusnetuser
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Now it's reset I'd at least expect the profile to change (especially as we won't be restricting it at this end, unless it goes above 11600), if it's still stuck at 6.5Mb let us know as we'll need to get a fault raised to have it looked into.

Downloads are still stuck :-
1. Best Effort Test:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 6.54 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is - 10.34 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.25Mbps
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you been able to do a test using a different PC?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mplusnetuser
Grafter

No, but see :-
Quote from: Matt
Oddly I've just run a consistency check on the line and it's come back as passed with the speeds on BRAS and DSLAM matching at 8654 [...]

Wouldn't it be very odd if my restricted download speeds coincided with Matt's results merely by, well, coincidence?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I wonder if your RWIN settings need a tweak. Have a read of http://community.plus.net/library/settings/guide-to-rwin-mtu/
Have a quick look at the video file before you do anything and note the advise right at the end.
You shouldn't need to consider altering the modem/router MTU, the default should be fine.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

WARNING: Don't attempt to do as Anotherone has suggested if you are on Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8!
Edit: Looking back through your posts I've found a couple of screen dumps that suggest you are probably on XP. If you are and you haven't tweaked your MTU and RWIN settings you will never get anything like full speed. The XP defaults are probably about right for 56Kbps dialup!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Nice of you to check what I already knew jelv. Apart from which, never mind screen dumps, http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,109001.0.html is somewhat more obvious.
Also note - from the top of the DSL Reports Tweaks page -
WINDOWS VISTA USERS: Vista TCP tuning (tweaking) is NOT advisable. The Vista TCP stack does a reasonable job of tuning the receive window dynamically, there are no known registry tweaks that would optimize Vista better than its default configuration.

You will find users around the net that will disagree with you and have used DrTCP on Windows 7, however it's not perhaps the appropriate tool and you should read http://www.speedguide.net/articles/windows-7-vista-2008-tweaks-2574
jelv
Seasoned Hero

These are Community forums and you need to remember that they will be read by a lot of people who who don't actually post but find topics which seem relevant to their problem and follow the advice given.
If you post bad begun
Quote from: Anotherone
As you are running Windows XP I wonder if your RWIN settings need a tweak which is a common cause of slow speeds on that version of Windows. Have a read ...

it would have been helpful to anyone seeing slow speeds on XP and unnecessary for me to post the warning.
Please remember topics you post to are not private conversations between you and the OP. That means two things:
[list type=decimal]
  • You need to bear in mind that there will be many readers of your posts who will read them out of context (and who certainly will not go back through someone's posting history to find the context).
  • You must expect  other people to join in the topic.
  • jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
    mplusnetuser
    Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
    I wonder if your RWIN settings need a tweak. Have a read of http://community.plus.net/library/settings/guide-to-rwin-mtu/

Quote from: jelv
    Edit: Looking back through your posts I've found a couple of screen dumps that suggest you are probably on XP. If you are and you haven't tweaked your MTU and RWIN settings you will never get anything like full speed. The XP defaults are probably about right for 56Kbps dialup!

Thanks to you both. I am on XP SP3, and vaguely remember tweaking RWIN either when I switched to XP or to broadband (I forget which came first). Still, I checked again :-
    .1. Your Tweakable Settings
    Receive Window (RWIN): 261360
    Window Scaling: 2
    Path MTU Discovery: ON
    RFC1323 Window Scaling: ON
    RFC1323 Time Stamping: OFF
    Selective Acks: ON
    MSS requested: 1460
    TTL: unknown
    TTL remaining: 52
    TOS flags: none set
    2. Test Download
    Actual data bytes sent: 1024001
    Actual data packets: 703
    Max packet sent (MTU): 1500
    Max packet recd (MTU): 1470
    Retransmitted packets: 0
    sacks you sent: 1
    pushed data pkts: 83
    data transmit time: 2.438 secs
    our max idletime: 353.4 ms
    transfer rate: 346461 bytes/sec
    transfer rate: 2771 kbits/sec
    transfer efficiency: 100%
    4. Notes and Recommendations
    RWIN is in range
    Looking good
    Observations:
    Good data stream (no/few rexmits)

So that seems okay, thanks again.
    And, just to reiterate, Plusnet say that their line check indicates that the problem is external to my local setup.
    On that point, how is the fault ticket coming along, Matt?
    orbrey
    Plusnet Alumni (retired)
    Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
    I haven't raised one, it's usually best to wait 24 hours after an SNR reset before doing anything. To be honest also, I'd say it'd be best raised by yourself running through the faults wizard (http://faults.plus.net) as that way we ensure all the necessary checks are done before raising the fault. If you could let us know when that's done I'll get some tests done and get it investigated for you.
    mplusnetuser
    Grafter

Okay, thanks, here's the ticket number :-
    Question #64341279
    3:24pm, Thursday 10 Jan 2013
    Your support request has been escalated to the correct team for review.