cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kicked off the gateway i was connected to without warning

deathtrap
Grafter

Kicked off the gateway i was connected to without warning

Just after 2am  i was kicked off  Gateway PCL03-AG03 without any warning ,If that wasn't bad enough It appeared that my connection wasn't able to simply reconnect to that gateway ,The routers logs it repeatedly attempted to reconnect but kept saying
Authentication failed  repeatedly and appeared to be stuck in a loop, this lasted for around 7mins,  before it eventually connected to a different gateway, that had peering that took the scenic route  
Would some one from plusnet care to explain  why
A. i was kicked from the Gateway, ?
B, why my router failed to authenticate with your gateways following this ?
BTW i am aware of maintenance one Gateway PCL-AG05 But that should not mean i loose connectivity as i wasn't connected to this gateway , 
9 REPLIES 9
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Kicked off the gateway i was connected to without warning

BT were more than likely doing maintenance.
Can you see your area code listed here: http://status.zen.co.uk/broadband/ ?
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

ooh err missus, it seems BT are upgrading the capacity of the backhaul to relive throughput issues created by higher than expected take-up of fibre products, and given the amount of svlan upgrades that's a lot of capacity there adding ......makes you wonder if they lie to there customers about the capacity issues on each exchange (what with them reporting green on just about everything, of course that's only monitoring adsl 1 provisions and not the stuff that's being used by most customers) 
@deathtrap
how much you wanna bet the weird connection fluctuations disappear once they finish adding the extra fibre to the backhaul system and replacing the old exchange gear for new stuff, then start again in about 6 months once they start going over capacity for all the new fibre that gets over subscribed ?
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
lotrjw
Grafter

Lol that's just mad bt certainly are getting bad press today their was a big bbc news story on the fact that bt fibre products wont get to 100% of the country and that they have an effective monopoly. They also said how bt are abusing that monopoly by not giving the information about which areas will be missed to stop community projects filling the gaps, that is bad news! I think the government should seize there network off them, unless they agree to at the very least give info about missed areas, so the community projects can fill the gap!
nanotm
Pro

it will get far worse in the future,
currently each of those fttc street cabs can provision 288 lines (for the largest ones) but the old pcp's provision up to 1k customers,
due ot planning constraints bt were forced to install the smaller units alongside the old pcp units in most area's so instead of 288 consumers there limited to 144 or 72 (the tiny white metal thing) some of the pcp's were large but mostly unused so the fibre units were housed inside the pcp (not many though) and they still only service half the consumers....
the cab down my street is one of the large units providing 288 links, the pcp provisions about 500 lines and bt cant get permission to put a second 288 fibre unit in place, so literally half the consumers in the area can get fibre (which is a major problem for bt going forwards)
whilst I agree thee is some serious problems with the fibre roll out, the fact bt are being painted as an uncooperative monopoly is unfair, they cant provide the details for a lot of things until they exhaust there planning options in a lot of places
one village that has been featured as unlikely to get any broadband (because they would need a mini exchange building within the village) has infact caused the problem itself, they have objected ot every single proposal to put in a cabinet, even when one resident offered to have it housed inside an old bunker, the rest of the village objected because of the disruption that would be caused when laying the cable....
I do however agree that if everything was nationalised we could indeed go down the road of forced rollout (no planning objections would then be possible) but it would still be done in the same haphazard way and take far longer and cost far more in the end ....
deathtrap
Grafter

There was nothing listed for my dialling code  yesterday only recent maintenance listed was 7 days ago , and i wasn't affected by it , Thing is it's taken ages for the router to re-connect (if left to it's own thing) following  the PPP session disconnect initiated from the plusnet radius server in the past ,  and last night for some reason plusnet's radius servers would not  recognise my log in credentials , did the system have another a senior moment ? infact  looking at my ping monitor there was another loss of ppp
at 4:35 which surprisingly only failed once to authenticate,(But the failing to auth is something new  for me)
  Sep 26 04:35:35  user  kernel: unregister_netdevice: waiting for ppp_ewan_1 to become free. Usage count = -1
 Sep 26 04:35:35  user  kernel: dev->name = ppp_ewan_1, dev->refcnt=-1
 Sep 26 04:35:35  user  kernel: after reset to 0, dev->refcnt=0
 Sep 26 04:35:38  daemon  pppd[12277]: Exit.
 Sep 26 04:35:41  daemon  pppd[12722]: pppd 2.4.1 started by admin, uid 0
 Sep 26 04:35:41  daemon  pppd[12722]: PPP: Start to connect ...
 Sep 26 04:36:02  daemon  pppd[12722]: PPP server detected.
 Sep 26 04:36:02  daemon  pppd[12722]: PPP session established.
 Sep 26 04:36:02  daemon  pppd[12722]: Using interface pppewan_1
 Sep 26 04:36:02  daemon  pppd[12722]: Connect: ppp_ewan_1 <--> eth0
 Sep 26 04:36:02  daemon  pppd[12722]: Couldn't increase MTU to 1500.
 Sep 26 04:36:02  daemon  pppd[12722]: Couldn't increase MRU to 1500
 Sep 26 04:36:02  daemon  pppd[12722]: Couldn't increase MRU to 1500
 Sep 26 04:36:02  daemon  pppd[12722]: PPP LCP UP.
 Sep 26 04:36:32  daemon  pppd[12722]: Remote message: CHAP authentication failure, unit 1798
 Sep 26 04:36:32  daemon  pppd[12722]: CHAP authentication failed
 Sep 26 04:36:32  daemon  pppd[12722]: Couldn't increase MTU to 1500.
 Sep 26 04:36:32  daemon  pppd[12722]: Couldn't increase MRU to 1500
 Sep 26 04:36:32  daemon  pppd[12722]: User name and password authentication failed.
 Sep 26 04:36:38  daemon  pppd[12722]: Connection terminated.
 Sep 26 04:36:38  daemon  pppd[12722]: Doing disconnect

nanotm
Pro

this wouldn't be a problem with changing password on the website and not changing it on the router would it ?
deathtrap
Grafter

Nope nothing changed ,and had been working (connected for a week) prior to the loss of ppp earlier today looking at the other ping monitors there is one that seems to show  losses at the same times as me, So it is probably related to plusnet's part of the ship
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I've seen in a thread this morning one of the DC guys noting that a few people seeing some funky behaviour in their graphs were all connected through the Milton Keynes node.  I don't know if that could be related if you were through there as well.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

deathtrap
Grafter

MK i would doubt it, i live around 180miles  from MK, but as for the network topology from plusnet to the internet  ,pass