cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep losing Internet

mPH
Grafter

Keep losing Internet

Does anyone have an idea what might be going wrong.  I keep losing Internet, went for about half an hour last night and then is fine again.  I never loose the connection with the router so thats not a problem...
33 REPLIES 33
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Keep losing Internet

Is the router losing connection - a green light changes to red for loss of ADSL - or does the router stay connected but you can't browse
mPH
Grafter

I have never checked the lights on the router when this happens, the next time i will.
I am never disconnected from the LAN, only the Internet.
Can be annoying if i am uploading or online gaming.  Always seems to happen at the same time though, either mid afternoon or around midnight.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As Jim says, keep an eye on the router lights and see which ones go out. It's also worth trying a different filter and making sure you aren't using any extension leads to your router.
If it continues to happen regularly, raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net and we can look into it.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
rainplus
Grafter

Quote from: mPH
Does anyone have an idea what might be going wrong.  I keep losing Internet, went for about half an hour last night and then is fine again.  I never loose the connection with the router so thats not a problem...

Check my thread "connection falls out" seems to be the same thing although we have no checked at midnight.
mPH
Grafter

Thanks i will check out that thread.
Lost it tonight again at 11, for about 20 minutes.  Checked router and was all okay, all lights were the same as when i have a connection.  This is really annoying now.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

all lights were the same as when i have a connection

Very odd, I would have at least expected the Internet light to go out, if not the DSL one too.
I can see that you had no connection last night around the times you say, so the router keeping the lights as they were is odd and shouldn't be happening.
Have you tested in the master socket and kept the router plugged in there to see if the connection stays stable or continues to randomly drop out?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mPH
Grafter

I have not tried the master socket yet but I will have to try that if it happens again.
mPH
Grafter

I have done a simple diagram of the wiring.
Do you see any problems in hows its set up?
ramidoodle
Grafter

I'm not sure why the extension socket is connected to the junction box. this should be connected to the front plate of the main BT socket.  A standard NTE5 socket has a surge protector for both safety and remote testing purpose.
mPH
Grafter

The wiring was just easier.  But if that could cause problems I can change it.
monkeyexpressPF
Grafter

i have had a similar problem in the last 3 days.
i had a big out a few days ago and when it came back it was really fast, even at peak so i came here and saw the capacity increase info so was really pleased.
since then, and on a couple of occasions my connection has gone wierd.
1st time the internet light dropped and came back a while later. since then the light has not dropped but i am getting problems (like right now). i can of course visit plusnet as i am here, google is fine and yahoo and others i have tested. but then equally lots of other sites just wont load. i have tried rebooting (when it happened earlier today) and it made no difference, but it came back a few minutes later anyway.
i had got used to a slow but useable connection until the upgrade, and now i have a fast but it appears unreliable connection now.
any thoughts?
monkeyexpressPF
Grafter

double post.
mikeyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Assuming your phone still works at the bottom of your diagram then the master socket and it's associated surge capacitor and out of service resistor (and ring capacitor) will probably be still in the circuit.  So If the extension at the top of the diagram is just connected into the incoming BT pair (normally wired to pins 2 & 5 in any sockets) then I can't see any obvious reason why that setup should not work.
However - It's just not done to connect into the cable with a junction box before it gets to your master socket.  If you end up having to call out BT for a fault the engineer will start by ripping that extension out, then probably take it from there.  If someone has connected in to the incoming cable then who knows what else they have done to the wiring?
Do you feel confident removing the front of that junction box and seeing if it is just one pair of wires that split to the extension at the top of your diagram.  And if so how do you feel about disconnecting that pair which feeds the extension and extending that pair back to the master socket?
Also if there are loads of wires connected in the junction box and not just one pair splitting 3 ways, or if this just isn't making sense then do you know how to attach photo's to any replies?  A picture of the inside of the junction box and the back of the master socket faceplate could help us help you.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Simple check: take the user removable lower half off the master socket - there should be a cable connected to the back of it and the extension socket where your router is should now be dead. If that's not the case the wiring is wrong.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)