Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kafkaesque Problems with Plusnet Support - Speed drops 60% at night

brooklucie
Dabbler

Re: Kafkaesque Problems with Plusnet Support - Speed drops 60% at night

Hi Kelly,
Thanks for getting back to me.
To answer your question, I think SuperZoom is correct.
On 18th September i raised a ticket for the fault we're experiencing now -  60% drop in speeds at around 9pm ish until 11pm. After a few changes/tests carried out by plusnet support didn't fix the issue an Openreach engineer visited the property and said there was a lot of errors on the line. He replaced the master socket faceplate and the speed increased from there. Post fix engineer said he'd tested the line and it could go to 15MB download speed without any errors. However the central late evening issue still remained.
All the details are in ticket i think - 74670912 (think this is the ref)
If you need any further info just let me know
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

So, what could have happened is that you have an issue on your line which is pushing the speed down to ~7-10Mbps.  Then the engineer did his work, he reset your line pushing the profile that high, but because the problem is still there, it's dropped back down.    I suspect we need to have another look.  I'll get one of the DC guys to have a look.
Superzoom: Not sure wher ehe's got that from, but I'll prod him to have a look here.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
SuperZoom
Grafter

Yup, it definitely needs another look.
None of the evidence points to this being a line problem, so the OP will keep going round in circles as long as it is treated as one.
brooklucie
Dabbler

Quote from: Kelly
So, what could have happened is that you have an issue on your line which is pushing the speed down to ~7-10Mbps.  Then the engineer did his work, he reset your line pushing the profile that high, but because the problem is still there, it's dropped back down.    I suspect we need to have another look.  I'll get one of the DC guys to have a look.
Superzoom: Not sure wher ehe's got that from, but I'll prod him to have a look here.

Hi Kelly, the line is stable at all times other than during the evening period around 9 until 11 or just after. That's the weird thing. When i first raised the fault i thought it may have been a line fault. The engineer came seemingly fixed the issue with the line and the speed increased. However the problem immediately appeared again that evening beginning around 9pm.
The engineer definitely fixed something but not the core problem. Perhaps the issue is not a line problem?
Not sure why the speed dropped to 7MB this past weekend. Did a plusnet tech support try a few things on Saturday morning? The line dropped a few times and i got a ticket update Saturday at 1.34pm. Perhaps it was knocked back then. I requested on Sunday that the line speed be returned to it's post engineer visit level of 14.6MB. 
I just can't understand why the timing would be so specific every night?  I've heard the term REIN being used in some other threads? Could this be a possibility?
brooklucie
Dabbler

Someone or something pushed the line speed back up to 14.6MB last night. Has been working fine ever since except for that period approx 9 to 11pm.
if you need me to try anything or more info just let me know.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Could be REIN?  Line is capable of 14Mbps.  REIN kicks in in the evening meaning your line generates errors.  The BT DLM sees those errors and slows your line down till the errors aren't there.  This is around the 10Mbps mark.  Our profile is set to match that.
Once the Engineer did his work he will have reset that profile back to 14Mbps and then you get the REIN again which pushes it back down.
Either way, Chris needs to take a look further.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Perhaps its a cockroach sitting on the line.  Grin Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Below is a graph of your daily average speed and downstream noise, the noise hasn't fluctuated at all whereas your speed has.

As you mentioned your exchange capacity is currently fine. I'll get this picked up with our faults team as we certainly need to dig a little deeper.
SuperZoom
Grafter

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
Perhaps its a cockroach sitting on the line.  Grin Grin

If there is, then according to the RADIUS graph the little blighter didn't cause any change in the connection during the evening peak on either Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday nights.
So, if there was a slowdown on those nights, the line can probably take his weight perfectly well and there is another cause!
There's no evidence of REIN causing massive amounts of errors in the router stats posted so far, and if there weren't any re-syncs either on those nights...
Interleaving depth and sync speed are the same on the stats posted for throughput of 12Mb and 4Mb...
As I read it, the lower 7.1Mb PN profile didn't come about until Saturday morning, and the RADIUS graph shows the disconnects described before receiving a message from tech support.
So it's hard to see the relevance of either DLM or malevolent insects, really.
The graphs Chris has just posted seem to confirm everything nicely, including the previous lower, but steady, sync speed.
So whatever it is, it isn't looking at all like a line quality issue. However, since the problem occurs at peak time, it could legitimately be described as a peak time issue.    Cheesy
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'll have further updates on this tomorrow, I'll be in-touch.
brooklucie
Dabbler

OK thanks.
I'll keep monitoring it this evening.
dick:quote
brooklucie
Dabbler

Same again tonight unfortunately.
download speed at 8pm steady around 12mb
download speed at 10.29pm 3.5mb
see attached screenshots BTW speedtest and router stats from 10.29pm
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Sorry if I've missed it but are you connected to the router wired or wireless?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Can you run a few speed tests at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com as I can't seem to see any via the BT site.
brooklucie
Dabbler

Thanks for coming back to me.
sorry been in work meetings unable to check this thread today.
I've only been using the first stage of BTW speedtest. I will try to upload some tests tonight