cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just upgraded to fibre- can I move the faceplate?

laserguy
Dabbler

Just upgraded to fibre- can I move the faceplate?

I want to move the fibre faceplate as it's current's serving a slightly underpowered laptop the wife uses while my main PC is connected through wifi in another room (that has a telephone socket!). I made a mistake by not getting the engineer to install the faceplate in the office yesterday. The BT site shows how to remove the faceplate but I think the engineer may have done some re-wiring (with a special tool?).
Is it possible to do it myself? (I accept liability and cost of another engineer visit if it all goes tit's up).
Cheers
4 REPLIES 4
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Just upgraded to fibre- can I move the faceplate?

Not sure about your question, but another option is to run a very long Ethernet cable between the modem and router.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
laserguy
Dabbler

I wish to move the router to another room (that also has a telephone socket).
I looked online and found this page :
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13727/~/how-to-remove-the-special-fibre-faceplate
So I tried removing the screws etc--- not a good move!
The third step- Lift off the fibre faceplate- is not possible since this part is wired to the telephone line and cannot be removed. So I screwed it back together and had no connection! I then repeated the process, and the DSL connected. Unfortunately it has reconnected with 0.66MB down and 0.61MB up. I am worried to upset it again and will wait to see if the speed comes back. Before fiddling it reached about 66mb down and 17mb up, I am hoping the speed comes back! I'll try rebooting the router again.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: laserguy
I wish to move the router to another room (that also has a telephone socket).

That's what I was suggesting.
Leave the modem where it is plugged in to the BT installed socket. Run a long ethernet cable to the router which can be anywhere within 100m of the modem.
Alternatively, buy these* to extend the modem -> router link without having a long cable running through the house.
*You might want to spend a little more and buy the 500mbps version.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
laserguy
Dabbler

Cheers Jelv, I don't think the wife would be happy about 100m of ethernet cables running around the house Shocked (although it did remind me of my student days where there were cables and hubs littered everywhere).
I loosened off the screws to the faceplate and rebooted the router and things seem to be back to normal (thank goodness). I am an engineer and do not over-tighten (although this time it seems I may have done  Crazy)
The power line adapters are interesting. I will wait and see how things go- I have a 450mbs router and will probably upgrade my wifi adapter.
The moral of this story seems to be that
a) you shouldn't dick about with things that work
b) don't believe everything you read on the internet  Roll_eyes that BT website is a bit misleading- I thought that if you can take the faceplate off you can install it on another socket. This isn't the case as you can't take it off and when putting it back together it's possible to find you have no internets at all !
Thanks again, might as well close this thread.