cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just joined from Be. Awful speed?

noogie1
Dabbler

Just joined from Be. Awful speed?

I've just jumped ship from Be after the murdoch takeover.
After waiting the obligatory 7-10 days for my connection to "stabilise" I am sorely dissapointed in both the speed and ping times I'm achieving on Plusnet.
I have my new Technicolor router plugged into my master socket, with no extensions in the house, and the line is otherwise unchanged from when I was with Be.
With BE I download at a stable 12Meg with pings to my server a very stable 19-21ms.
Plusnet varies WILDLY - Most speedtests I do top out at 3-4Meg, max I've achieved is about 7 via Usenet/iTunes. Ping times are 30ms+, and fluctuate greatly.
Apparently my VP Capacity is Amber , Guessing this wasn't a problem before as I was LLU?
I've opened a ticket, and they say because my sync speed is above the estimate , there is no problem with my service.
Can anyone shed any light on the problem? Or shall I just ring Customer Service on a daily basis till they cave and let me leave (If it's an exchange issue)
42 REPLIES 42
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Just joined from Be. Awful speed?

Sorry to hear that. I'm a happy BE to PN refugee - I'm sure a member of staff will pick this up soon.
Out of curiousity, what are your router stats ?
noogie1
Dabbler

Uptime: 0 days, 1:37:36
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 10,931
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 119.03 / 1.35
That's all the Info I can get from the Technicolor. Out of curiosity, How come Be are able to offer twice the upstream?
I would happily pay for the Pro add-on if it would solve my problems and return my line back to how It was under Be? I do have a business line that needs moving too, but I am hesitant to change that :-(.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

If you click on View more..... and then Details in the top RHS it gives the full stats.
You can request the US to be uncapped, no problem. Why so short an Uptime? Have you literally only just turned on?
noogie1
Dabbler

It dropped out last night too  Sad
Anywhooo, Line stats:
Uptime: 0 days, 1:55:30
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 10,931
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 122.86 / 1.37
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.6 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 17.4 / 38.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 30.4 / 6.2
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 8 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 6,362 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 27,310
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 10,091
gary42
Grafter

Quote from: noogie1
I've opened a ticket, and they say because my sync speed is above the estimate , there is no problem with my service.

I wouldn't have been too happy with that response  Shocked
Think someone needs some retraining...
noogie1
Dabbler

I want to give them the opportunity to fix (what must be) a fault in my line. However at the same time, I am losing my right under DSR to cancel my 12 month contract.
Embarrassed
adie:quote
Anotherone
Champion

Hmm.The errors for the uptime suggest you may have a line issue. Can your hear any crackling or other noises on the line when you use the phone, or have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls?
With that exchange VP capacity at Amber that's why you'll be getting wild Speed and Ping variations on top of anything caused by any line issues.
The trick to solve that one is if you run the BTw Performance Tester, ignore the red pre-amble and after the first test has completed, click Further Diagnostics at the bottom of the page, then enter your number and run the test. Youi can copy and paste the results into a post (no need to capture an image).
If you do this at an off-peak time to see what the best you can get is - it should be close to the profile and then test at a peak time until you get a really bad result, stop there - that result will be visible to Plusnet, you can then hassle them to chase BT on the VP status.
But also need to resolve any line issues as the DS sync speed should be a touch higher. Are you plugged into to an extension socket or a master, if you have fixed extension sockets, how many etc?Are you using any plug-in extension leads for phones or modem/router (not mains leads)?
noogie1
Dabbler

Thanks for the advice. No crackles or pops on the line, and my router is plugged into a recent NTE5 socket with ADSL filtering faceplate. No extensions coming from it.
I also tried one of the new filters that came with the technicolor into the test socket.
BTw results (will post more when offpeak)

DL: 5.22Mbps
UL: 0.22Mbps
Ping: 120ms (!)

Download speedachieved during the test was - 5.22 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 9.64 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.22Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

Just my luck that the Cheltenham and Scarborough exchanges would be tied for most crappiest exchange in the UK  Cry
Anotherone
Champion

Check your Current Line speed (Login required)
It should match the BT IP Profile, but there is a lag in BT systems sending the Delta Report to Plusnet systems, so it may have to be bumped up manually by a member of the Digital Care Team (DCT).
There's usually less noise in daylight, so try a resync tomorrow but at least an hour after sunrise and an hour before sunset to see if you can improve the sync speed a bit, but
Use this Disconnect method -
Do a Disconnect of your PPP Internet session with the ISP - you need to login to the modem/router interface and look for the Disconnect button to click on. On the Thomson modem/routers you will typically find it in the box marked Internet as shown here.
Now wait a few minutes, power down. Then wait 10 minutes (during this time swap any filters, modem/router, connect to test socket, etc. - it doesn't matter if you take longer than 10 minutes) and then power up again (You may need to login to the modem/router and click on Connect to re-establish the PPP Internet session).
On checking the stats immediately (The Noise Margin [SNRM] shown is usually the current Target Noise Margin).
I usually recommend you do this no more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day.  Remember the reason for this procedure is to help prevent the Exchange DLM from thinking you have a dropping connection (or a worse one than you may have).
You can use the Disconnect/Connect (without a power down) to Gateway hop.
There's also some Network issues at the moment that might affect your download speed or ping and you may need to Gateway hop.
Current forum thread page is http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,111170.1344.html
Be assured that things aren't normally like this and those current issues are almost resolved.
Edit: The ping result from the first part of the BT test can sometimes be a bit silly, just re-run the first part of the test, you can do that as often as you like. The Diagnostic Test you can run with a minimum 10 minute interval upto 3 times in any hour.
noogie1
Dabbler

Telephone number:
01242******
Phone exchange:
CHELTENHAM
Estimated line speed:
8Mb (This may vary between 5.5Mb and 12.5Mb) - Checked on 2013-03-05 20:55:03
Current line speed:
9.6 Mb

I will try a re-sync before I leave for work tomorrow, and post my line stats again. Thank you for your help!
Anotherone
Champion

Current Line speed looks fine. Try a Gateway hop to see if download speed is better, it could be the exchange congestion giving the slow speed though! When you go for a resync, make sure that the SN Margin down looks stable (refresh that stats page a few times) and is better than the current 6.2dB.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I've just jumped ship from Be after the murdoch takeover.

After?  Shocked
It hasn't happened yet, and won't for ages.
It needs regulatory approval and probably won't even START for at least 6 months.  Undecided
And then if anything changes to your detriment you'll get a free exit anyway.
How come Be are able to offer twice the upstream?

Looks like your upstream is capped at ADSL1 speeds for some reason. Just ask and it should be uncapped to around 1200kbps.  Wink
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Apparently my VP Capacity is Amber , Guessing this wasn't a problem before as I was LLU?

I think you can totally ignore that. It is believed that the exchange checker shows the 20CN status only and you are on 21CN.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
At present it looks like your profile on BTs side is at 9506 and ours is set to 9500 to match, so that shouldn't be slowing anything down. A consistency check test shows this is all correct across the exchange kit too. Not sure why the BT speed test result was so low though, unless it's improved since?
Either way I can see you have a fault raised, I'd recommend pasting those speed test results into the ticket (and if possible running another one and adding those too) and our faults team will pick it up for you.