Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just joined from BE - ping spikes making gaming unplayable

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Just joined from BE - ping spikes making gaming unplayable

We'll have an idea next week and I'll make sure I update you. We have also tried something else on your account today that *should* stop the profile changing.
Froug
Grafter

The profile hack has not helped - my lag is back. Please reset my profile ASAP.
Froug
Grafter

Hmmm.....and now I can't induce latency this morning, as I reported before. See the attached for ping times to the World of Tanks servers yesterday.
Froug
Grafter

....adding some alternate site data to show this is not specific to WoT.
Froug
Grafter

...I take it back. I couldn't induce it streaming from YouTube, but a large download has done the trick, so perhaps my profile has been reset again.
Froug
Grafter

Latency is still bad. Will you be able to check my profile today?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

It's still set at 4.5Mb/s even though your sync rate has increased slightly(5856kbps).
Are you able to run a traceroute?
Froug
Grafter

Thanks Chris - I can run a traceroute (Linux or Windows - whichever you prefer).
Interesting - my guess is the download traffic (which was a re-installation of StarCraft II, a sad tale of bad ping times, attached) is key somehow, as if it's not being prioritised correctly. A quick Google implies it uses BitTorrent.
Froug
Grafter

I just checked by BT profile:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 4.58 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5.86 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.83 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5 Mbps
Is the PN profile still at 4.5Mbps? If so, could that be what's causing the problem?
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

world of tanks had some serious problems earlier in the year when one of the French Telco's started running its monetisation of the internet trials, something to do with peer nodes over advertising there capacity, are you sure this isn't causing the problem now ?
it made the game totally unplayable for a lot of people regardless of ISP due to monster ping times and frequent dc's caused by dropped packets....
if your getting the same problem on other games then its possible its a connection issue locally but an ip profile that's lower than your connection speed shouldn't cause problems it just limits the maximum bandwidth on your line, the only time it would likely cause a problem is if your ip profile was higher than your sync speed and your connection was unable to handle whats trying to come through ......

whatever the cause of the issue I hope you get it fixed, trying to enjoy your online experience to be suffering constant lag spikes is a nightmare
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Froug
Grafter

Thanks Nanotm, but it's not the WoT servers. I can induce latency to ANY server when I have 'the problem' (which, fundamentally, is my PN speed profile not automatically matching the BT speed profile). If you look at the graphs from yesterday, you'll see that non-WoT servers had the same-ish ping times.
As you can imagine, 6 months and no resolution is immensely frustrating.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

I think we've got 2 problems going on here.  The first one is the profile.  If you are seeing latency when the profile is set correctly, then you might well have a fault.
Let's get a fault raised and see if there is something else going on there.  Can you raise on via http://faults.plus.net
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Froug
Grafter

Thanks Kelly, but I think the profiles are out of sync at the moment. Can you confirm that they are both set to the same value? The BT profile is now faster if my PN profile is still locked at 4.5Mbits.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

We've preventing your profile from changing so it won't go above the BT profile.  Having the PN Profile BELOW your BT profile won't cause you any issues (beyond capping your speed to the PN profile)
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Froug
Grafter

Thanks for the clarification. My guess is that the type of traffic may be part of the issue - I can't induce lag by streaming video, but I can if I download via BitTorrent. I'll raise a fault.