Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just joined from BE - ping spikes making gaming unplayable

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Just joined from BE - ping spikes making gaming unplayable

I've just taken personal ownership of your ticket and updated it too.
Froug
Grafter

Thanks Chris.
FYI for anyone following this thread the interleaving change didn't help much, although I did notice this evening that a file download (appeared to - it was a quick test) creates less latency increase vs. a YouTube video (takes a 40-50ms ping to 100-150ms for the file download, and 400-500ms for a video). I think traffic shaping might be my enemy, but that's just a guess.
Froug
Grafter

Still no further forward (Chris is still investigating). I've added Max Premium (went active today - upstream is now ~800Kbits) but sadly no change in behaviour, i.e. other activities continue to effect latency, with video streaming the 'winner' (pushes ping/gaming latencies 400ms plus).
I think this is a traffic shaping problem.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Could part of the problem be simply that on Be you had ADSL2+ and more bandwidth?
The traffic shaping problem would be that your games don't seem to be getting prioritised above the other traffic. Traffic shaping isn't your enemy, if it was working correctly it would be preventing the problem.
Froug
Grafter

I don't think so - I'm too far from the exchange for ADSL2+ to have any benefit (I used to get ~6/1Mbits with BE). If I download a large file, I see latencies jump from ~50ms to ~150ms. If I stream a video they jump to 400ms+. In both cases that badly affects online gaming. At the very least it seems that video packets are being prioritised over gaming, which seems wrong to me.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

I'm not sure we confirmed what game this was?  World of Tanks?  Any other games?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Froug - just spotted that your line speed profile was set incorrectly on your account, that means if you try and do 2 things at the same time like gaming and streaming then they'll fight it out for the bandwidth rather than let the game get priority over the stream. I've fixed that now, can you give it another try and see if you're seeing any difference please?
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Froug
Grafter

Thanks Dave - that seems to have done the trick  Smiley (after ~2 mins of testing....I'll see how we go for the rest of the day). What exactly did you change?
Kelly
Hero

I'm  Embarrassed this wasn't spotted first.  Chris is going to be giving out some thick ears this morning Smiley
TO answer your question, have a read of: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,113085.msg971625.html#msg971625
Point 3) on that list was set far too high.  This means that when we were QoSing your traffic, we were still sending too much traffic down your line.  Therefore some of your gaming traffic was being dropped before it hit your router!
Kelly Dorset
Froug
Grafter

Thanks Kelly. I'm sorted - latency is rock steady regardless of how much video I stream. One final question - what is the name of the setting for the PlusNet speed profile that prioritises the gaming traffic? It would be handy for other users to know, so if they are seeing similar symptoms they can request their profile is set as such.
Kelly
Hero

The Plusnet Speed profile, and it needs to be just below their BT line profile.
Kelly Dorset
Froug
Grafter

Grin - thanks. Many thanks to all the PN folk for their responsive answers.
Froug
Grafter

Hello PN admins - my problem has returned. Can you check and see if my profile was changed back?
Thanks.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

The Delta Report looks to have automatically updated the speed profile. I've just changed it back for you.
Please let me know how you get on with it now.
Froug
Grafter

Thanks Chris, but that hasn't made any difference :'(. Should I log another fault?