cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just joined - activated earlier today, red internet light, no access

Johng48

Just joined - activated earlier today, red internet light, no access

Hi, I joined plus.net, it was supposed to swap over yesterday but I called up and it ws activated today. In my portal it immediately went from "Service isn't ready yet" type message to next bill date, so I assume that worked, but my internet light is still red and I have no access.
I try to log in to the router, I'm using the correct name and the correct router password, but it just takes me back straight to the gateway. Occasionaly after loading slowly it'll let me in, but if I want to change anything it just takes me back to the gateway, I tried to reset it with a pen, this time it let me log on reliably, and let me make changes, I entered my information in the set up my router option, and I'm still in the same position, red internet light.
Thanks if anyone can help
10 REPLIES 10
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Just joined - activated earlier today, red internet light, no access

Which router are you using?
Are you using the correct login (username@plusdsl.net)?
Johng48

Hi, apologies, after the second reset of router & reentering of my account information it's actually working! Which is a great relief, it does seem incredibly slow compared to my old isp which had become quite slow itself though. is this normal for a new connection? Thanks
zarnywoop
Dabbler

I'm new to plusnet today. Apparently there's been an issue with new users today not authenticating. Switched my router of for a while and then back on and its now working great. Speed is great, I'm on the 40mb package, much better than sky where I switched from.
AndyH
Grafter

@ Johng48 - What are your estimates here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ ? How does that compare with what you're getting now?
@ zarnywoop - It's frustrating how Plusnet could not have put this on their service status page.
richardc1983
Grafter

Quote from: Johng48
Hi, I joined plus.net, it was supposed to swap over yesterday but I called up and it ws activated today. In my portal it immediately went from "Service isn't ready yet" type message to next bill date, so I assume that worked, but my internet light is still red and I have no access.
I try to log in to the router, I'm using the correct name and the correct router password, but it just takes me back straight to the gateway. Occasionally after loading slowly it'll let me in, but if I want to change anything it just takes me back to the gateway, I tried to reset it with a pen, this time it let me log on reliably, and let me make changes, I entered my information in the set up my router option, and I'm still in the same position, red internet light.
Thanks if anyone can help

Had the same issue today. Switched from EE ADSL. First time with fibre... BT came out did what they needed to do. Engineer left and it kept saying authentication failed. Spent nearly an hour and half on the phone today testing various things and resetting things to be told that it looked like the bt engineer hadn't done his job properly and it would take 72 hours to get him back out to look into this issue. SHame the several advisors I spoke to through the course of the day were not aware of any issues at their end.
Tonight its working sporadically. THe download speed is about 40 not too bad but upload is a little bit low at 16.
DSL CHecker shows this:
FTTC Range A (Clean) 79.5 60 20 19.6 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 70.9 43.8 20 13.9 -- Available
Regards
Richard.
AndyH
Grafter

@ richardc1983 - Download speed doesn't seem right. What's your current line speed here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed ?
richardc1983
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
@ richardc1983 - Download speed doesn't seem right. What's your current line speed here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed ?

Ok I got:
Phone exchange:
HUNSLET
Estimated line speed:
60Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-08-01 19:30:17
Current line speed:
69 Mb
& at https://windows.mouselike.org/be/?DoAction=Home doing the IP Profile checker gives:
Number: 0113277****
The current Downstream BRAS rate is: 67.65 Mbps
The current Upstream BRAS rate is: 20 Mbps
AndyH
Grafter

That seems right on both BT's and PN's ends. Are you trying the speed test wirelessly or wired?
richardc1983
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
That seems right on both BT's and PN's ends. Are you trying the speed test wirelessly or wired?

I think that is better than the previous sync earlier.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@Johng48
Hello and welcome to the forum. Logging into the (modem/)router http://192.168.1.254/login.lp uses the default usename admin and the password is the serial number. They aren't your broadband username and password mind.
If you are on ADSL in particular resetting/rebooting after dark is likely to get slower speeds because of higher noise levels from MW/AM broadcasts after dark. If you post up the full DSL Stats http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?be=0&l0=2&l1=0 (login required) we should be able to make some comment.
If you are on Fibre, you'll need to post the results of a speedtest as stats aren't available in the same way.
Try  the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
Do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image).
Also post your Current Line speed (Login required) but don't post your phone number.