Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just half a meg more

robert1935
Grafter

Re: Just half a meg more

Quote from: robert1935
Do not have sky, use freesat, but it is not plugged into phone socket, just noticed my profile has altered for first time since Friday from 2.1 to 2.33

No it only has one socket that's for the router the BT engineers fit it 18 months ago, and the extension to the phone downstairs is hard wired into the master socket
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@purleigh
I already asked that question a while back
@richardjh
Did you have phone extensions connected in your previous installation? If so, then the standard of wiring to them was either old (not CW1308) or faulty. If you didn't, then the front plate was faulty and you should have had it replaced.
@Robert
However, as we haven't got to the bottom of Robert's problem yet, and even though I'm mindful of the information in his first post, I intend to leave no stone unturned. Are there any extension socket's Robert? Does your Master socket look like any of the following -
Service Specific Filtered Plate or standard NTE5a or latest plate but obviously with the bottom half fitted in that last one.
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Regarding the observed change in profile to 2.3, can I suggest you post the latest Training History (and bit loading graphs).  I speculate a line resync has perhaps taken place resulting in a small rise in the line rate?

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Anotherone
Champion

The Bit loading would be of more interest.
If everything is still off in the house Robert, can you do another screen grab of the Bitloading?
robert1935
Grafter

Everything off except fridge.
bill888
Champion

Looks like DLM forced a line disconnect and reconnect as part of the line training at 2.21pm.
Noise margin has been lowered to 3db to try and improve the speed.  Interleaving has also been turned off.  It's as good as it is going to get under the current circumstances.

It is still way down from the 4.2mbps seen on Friday morning with 6db margin on ADSL1 with interleaving enabled.

I wonder if now is a good time to try the Plusnet router?   The worst that DLM can do now, is raise the noise margin back to 6db and turn interleaving back on?
robert1935
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
@purleigh
I already asked that question a while back
@richardjh
Did you have phone extensions connected in your previous installation? If so, then the standard of wiring to them was either old (not CW1308) or faulty. If you didn't, then the front plate was faulty and you should have had it replaced.
@Robert
However, as we haven't got to the bottom of Robert's problem yet, and even though I'm mindful of the information in his first post, I intend to leave no stone unturned. Are there any extension socket's Robert? Does your Master socket look like any of the following -
Service Specific Filtered Plate or standard NTE5a or latest plate but obviously with the bottom half fitted in that last one.

Its an NTFA, the extension to the phone is hard wired into the back of the MS
Anotherone
Champion

The 4.2Mbps remember disappeared before the changeover to ADSL2+.
That damned interference pattern is still there on the Bitloading.
You are right Robert with your earlier remark about the possibility of it be a faulty modem/router but it could also be a faulty filter, these things do happen. But before swapping anything about, are you upto looking at the wires connected to the back of the phone extension socket?
When you go to swap things, to minimise the risk of upsetting DLM, adopt the following Disconnect method -
Log in to the Modem/Router, in the Internet box, click Disconnect to drop the PPP Internet session (this is not the sync), wait about a minute and then power down the Modem/Router. After about another minute you can unplug it from the line.
Do whatever is needed (swap modem/routers, filters etc), but stay offline for at least 10 minutes. When you re-connect and power up, Login to the Modem/Router and click Connect to establish a new PPP session.
Don't do this more than 5 times in an hour if you are testing different things, then leave it for the rest of the day. This method is to help stop the Exchange DLM from thinking your sync loss was a dropped connection.
If you have a modem/router that doesn't have an interface for you to drop the PPP session (the business hub), then pull the power plug and wait a minute or two before unplugging from the line.
One further point, especially applicable to very long lines, you will get very small differences in sync speed every time you sync, so just because you get a marginally better sync speed in one situation, it doesn't necessarily mean that situation is better than another situation.
bill888
Champion

The PPP session can't be dropped on the BT hub.  Just go with Anotherone's other suggestion by just pulling the power from the hub.
Anotherone
Champion

Just added that.
I will also add that it's pointless swapping things about unless one tries to discover why there is interference affecting the sync, which means double checking on the wiring aspects before and during being off-line swapping things.
robert1935
Grafter

Have just spoken to my friend the BT engineer who wired all this up for me, and he assures me that the wiring is OK, he goes along with either faulty router or filters , he has given me two new nfilters.
Have no on and off switch so will have to pull power plug out OK ?
bill888
Champion

Go for it!
I usually just pull the power cord out of the back of my BT biz hub. 
Anotherone
Champion

Your BT friend will be right if he knows what impact the bell wire can have on a Broadband installation even with the latest master socket and if he left it disconnected (terminal 3) that's fine. If not it needs disconnecting at the Master. If he's with you get him to do it (before you reconnect the other modem/router).
robert1935
Grafter

I have changed back to TG router and changed filter. my speed has gone up to 2.97
Anotherone
Champion

There's a lot of noise of some sort on your line Robert because in the short time you have been connected the Noise Margin has gone down to 2.2dB.
Is the Bell-wire connected or not?
Edit: and the CRC errors are abysmal even for no interleaving.