Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just half a meg more

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Just half a meg more

purleigh, whilst the thought of radio station interference crossed my mind, firstly, there are no beacons strong enough to cause that amount of degradation & your theory for this is far weaker than the theory for it not being an SMPS simply because odd harmonics are normally predominant.
Also there's far too much of a pattern, and I know the area, he's not near the coast or an airport.
The document you've listed only refers to the bands that are allocated, not to the individual beacons and their locations, and they aren't separated by 35kHz, they are given specific frequencies dependant of where they are located - a topic I have researched many times before and therefore with that knowledge I can say that will not be the case here.
The gaps at tones 110,127,188,191,243,291 & 348 are a known standard "feature" on IFTN MSANs.with an ADSL2+ connection.
The dip at tone 46 as you rightly point out is R4's frequency, but it's not a severe enough dip IMHO to get concerned about at this stage especially considering the line length, likewise RTE1 which is actually tone 59. Dips in the bit loading due to Radio Interference is not uncommon on longer lines even when they are well balanced, something you won't experience because of your short line.
Chasing theories of undue Radio interference are a bit of a wasted effort when there are easier things to check out first, also taking note Robert's admitted lack of knowledge in this area. It's also worth remembering 2½ days ago the sync speed was 4192, lines that become susceptible to radio reception issues don't normally behave in this way, so I'm afraid it's a theory that doesn't explain what we are seeing.
robert1935
Grafter

Whoooooaaaaa,
Things are really getting complicated, the posts are now way above my head, my profile is still 2.1 with download speeds of 2.04, I think its time to throw in the towel, even Plusnet staff seem to have disappeared, another 48hrs and I think I will put the PN router back on and see what happens. I would have thought that the learning process would start from day on and would show a gradual improvement to my profile and speeds.
Anotherone
Champion

The Plusnet staff who work on the Forum do not work weekends, and they aren't normally able to answer detailed technical issues themselves. Please ignore all that overly complex " analysis" that we've been doing, I was guessing it would likely confuse you.
DLM does not "learn" in the way that you think it might, and as I said earlier that this problem is not anything related to PN or anything any ISP could do.
So taking things one step at a time and starting with what I initially said in reply #118, can you first grab another Bitloading graph and post that.
robert1935
Grafter

Anotherone
Champion

OK, it doesn't look a great deal different - I wasn't necesarily expecting it to.
If we can next then see if the most obvious thing that is "different" has anything to do with this, that is the White Box.
As MisterW has suggested you should be able to unplug the White Box from your modem/router and computer without upsetting the modem/router or the line.
So don't turn off the modem/router (the business hub), leave that connected to the line and powered up. Plug your computer direct into the port on the business hub that the White box was plugged into.
Check that you can browse OK - refresh/repair your LAN connection through Network Connections if need be.
When that's all ok, make sure the White box is unplugged from the mains and grab another bitloading graph and post it.
robert1935
Grafter

I did all that first thing this morning.
Anotherone
Champion

Is it unplugged at the moment? So was that screen grab of the Bitloading with it unplugged?
robert1935
Grafter

It sure was, the PSU is unplugged as well.
dick:quote
Anotherone
Champion

In that case it is not the White Box causing any issues, which doesn't really surprise me, unless it had been faulty, clearly not. So do put it back if you wish.
What else do you have switched on at the moment? TV and associated equipment?
robert1935
Grafter

My wife is in the garden so I have been round the house and switched everything off except the fridge, I suppose it could be a faulty router?
richardjh
Grafter

Hi, Have just been reading this thread, and I had a similar problem when I was on O2, prior to getting FTTC.
Have you tried connecting your ADSL modem to the BT master test socket?  I connected in directly to this rather than the front plate, and virtually doubled my speed over night.
robert1935
Grafter

I have BTs latest master socket, it doesn't have a test socket.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have a Sky box ?, and if so is it plugged into a phone socket ?
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

I wonder if you have a filtered master socket which I guess would have been installed by the BT engineers a few years ago.
ie. Does it have 2 sockets on the front of it?
One for the telephone, and a second specifically for the broadband?

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
robert1935
Grafter

Do not have sky, use freesat, but it is not plugged into phone socket, just noticed my profile has altered for first time since Friday from 2.1 to 2.33