Just half a meg more

robert1935
Grafter

Re: Just half a meg more

No the white box was installed as I changed toPN
Anonymous
Not applicable

The fact that Plusnet support have told you on at least three different occasions that they can see faults (Reply #3, Reply #65, and Reply #80),  you should definitely register that you have got a connection problem via the Broadband Troubleshooter so that the 'faults' engineers (as opposed to the phone answering staff) can resolve your problem through the official channels.
robert1935
Grafter

Can not get my head round the difference in the profiles in just 48hrs.
B/B troubleshooters reckon that  I have been dropping connections twice a day for the last 3 days, but if it has I haven't noticed. but my profile altered 48hrs ago  Huh
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

If you look at the DSL Diagnostics page on the BT hub, it will show precisely when the hub has dropped its connection since you last restarted it yesterday at 5.25pm, under the section entitled 'Training History'.
The hub would have dropped the connection at least once, early this morning when your line was switched from ADSL1 to ADSL2+.
The line would have dropped at least twice yesterday. First time when you swapped the TG582N router for the BT hub in the morning, and when you had to restart the BT hub when you came back from the shops around 5.25pm.

The profile is basically low because the BT hub is I presume still connected to the exchange at 2,382 kbps from the image you provided this morning in the post at 11.35am.  It is unlikely to return to previous higher rate until whatever caused the drastic drop in speeds yesterday afternoon is identified and resolved.
Could it be a faulty BT hub, or perhaps it was a fault at exchange all along?  We don't know.

Has the B/B troubleshooter permitted you to escalate the problem to the Faults team to investigate?  (I presume there would be a new open ticket)

Could you post latest screen capture from the DSL Diagnostics page (Not from the Router stats page) showing the 'Training History' ?
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
robert1935
Grafter

Is this what you want, when you look at these stats what are you looking for, hope you don't mind me picking your brains mine is getting old and a little worn. Roll_eyes
Regards Bob
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

The 'history' just makes it a bit easier for someone to look at what is happening to the ADSL line over a period of time.  In particularly, whether or not there are frequent disconnections, and can they be explained, and to observe the level of error counts being clocked up which could cause buffering issues..
From the latest image, I'm no expert, but we can see:
Yesterday, at 17.23 when you restarted the hub, it established a downstream line rate to the exchange of 2,048 kbps.
At 19.26, there was a disconnection.  Reason unknown.  Noise margin was fine at 6.0 db (mgn2)  prior to the disconnection, so it was not likely to be due to noise.  It successfully reconnected at 2,176 kbps.
This morning at 08.57, there was a disconnection but by 08.58. it had reconnected at 2,382 kbps but using ADSL2+ which was planned.
The hub remains connected at 2,382 kbps when you took a screen capture at 19.05 this evening.
FECs error counts is being reported, so this just confirms it is an interleaved connection.  A high count is nothing to worry about.
CRCs are of more concern if they are extremely high for an interleaved connection, but the hub has only clocked up a trivial 157 CRC counts on the downstream connection in the past 10 hours.
The downstream noise margins are floating around the 6 db value (Mgn1 starting value, Mgn2 final/current value).  The noise margin when you took the screen capture had dropped to 5db but that is to be expected as dusk draws nearer.

At the moment, it is still a mystery as to why the downstream rate dropped from 4,200 kbps which the hub was seeing yesterday morning (and 3,400 kbps by TG582n prior to that) to below 2,400 kbps since you restarted the hub yesterday at 5.23pm.
It could be due to more noise on the line or an issue at the exchange appearing yesterday afternoon, and the BT hub is just compensating by lowering the speed, to maintain the 6db noise margin.
'If' the BT hub has suddenly developed a fault yesterday afternoon, for reasons unknown, one way to prove it, would be to reinstall the Plusnet router to see if the speeds suddenly return to 3,000+ kbps values.  My only concern is the switch from ADSL1 to ADSL2+ this morning also triggered an SNR reset. ie. 10 day line training has started.      Someone more knowledgeable may be able to advise whether it is a good idea to try swapping out routers and how to go about it, without causing DLM to react negatively to the disconnection caused by the swap out.

Have you spoken to any of your neighbours to see if they have witnessed any internet speed problems lately if it is indeed an exchange problem ?

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
robert1935
Grafter

Thanks for the info zzZzz,
I nearly changed back to the PN router last night but bottled it at the last minute, the BT hub worked great before changing, and I know thins can go kaput suddenly but as no one has offered any further suggestions  I think I will leave things as they are until I go on holiday, everything will be switched off , and just see what happens when I switch back on

Regards Bob
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Can a line retrain with the router switched off.......just asking Undecided
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
picbits
Rising Star

I doubt it as it needs something at the other end to sync to and report back connection speeds ....
Anonymous
Not applicable

I asked that question recently, and the answer was that the training takes ten days from when started and the end trained result is calculated from any available data acquired during that time - whether the modem is switch on or not.
I used to switch my gateway off when I went on holiday, but when I came back my near perfect line always dropped from 7.15Mbps down to 1.5Mbps.  It then took around 5 to 7 days of being back on before the speed recovered.  So when Robert comes back from holiday, switch the modem on, ask Plusnet for a line reset to restart 10 day training, wait 10 days, and then run the fault troubleshooter if you still have problems.  Now when I'm away I leave the gateway switch on as normal.
robert1935
Grafter

Hi all,
Thanks for the info, all duly noted and taken on board, just one question during the training period does the profile and speed adjust gradually or does it finally adjust at the end of the period.?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The simple answer to the question about whether training can take place with the modem/router off is no, a line cannot retrain without the modem/router being on, but what is uncertain is how much of the "10 days" it actually needs to be on.
With regard to the profile and speed during training, the answer is neither, I'll explain more when I post back later.
However, leaving that aside, I've only just read parts of this thread, I need some more time to read all the detail before posting further but there is on thing you should not do at this stage and that is Disconnect or Reboot or swap any modem/routers. With the number of disconnects that have occurred recently and possibly some due to a line issue, you will be in danger of the Exchange DLM putting up the Target Noise Margin as it will think you have a dropping connection. This will result in slower speed. Only a line reset would be able to resolve that but if there is a fault, it cannot/won't be investigated during the 10 day training period.
Also whilst I understand what purleigh is saying, that is not generally the case.
I'll post some more shortly, but in the meantime Robert, I'm going to send to a PM regarding a privacy issue.
Anotherone
Champion

One thing you could do Robert in the meantime, is back in reply #94 you posted a Diagnostic page from the modem/router. At the bottom of that page only the top part was visible, is a bit loading graph. If you could post a view showing the whole of that graph, that would be helpful.
robert1935
Grafter

Anotherone
Champion

Just the job, it'll take a short while to look at it more detail, my immediate reaction is Oh dear, picking up some interference here which may be due to a line issue but I'll ask more shortly, but I also want to read the rest of the thread in more detail. I've sent that PM by the way, I hope it helps, didn't want to shout about it in a public forum.