Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just half a meg more

robert1935
Grafter

Re: Just half a meg more

Hope so Matt.
My speeds have dropped from 3.5 to 2.69.
Regards Bob
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well, as I said on your other thread it's not all that likely to improve on ADSL2+ but fingers crossed.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

At 53.7dB attenuation you are just on the borderline for any improvement but as Matt says...fingers crossed.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

@robert1935 - each time your speed changes, can you post a copy of your modem stats so we can take a look at what else is changing and causing the sync to vary.  Some bright spark is likely to notice a pattern and suggest what improvements can be made to remedy the underlying issue.  It would be useful to see results at different times of the day, and particularly during the evening and early morning.
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Tip: If using the 2701HGV, from the Home/ page, Settings -> Diagnostics - DSL will provide a useful running history of any disconnections for analysis provided you do not remove electrical power from the hub.
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
robert1935
Grafter

Thanks for that zzZzz, everything was fine speeds were 3.5+, did some shopping in village away about an hour tried to get on net no connection, PN said there was a fault, told me to turn off router and switch on in 2/3 mins, connection was OK but speeds are now down at 1.45  Cry Cry Cry
Being upgraded to ADSL2+ tomorrow so fingers crossed.
Regards BOB
robert1935
Grafter

Will this improve in time
bill888
Champion

Please provide screen dump of modem statistics, because the speed tests in isolation do not really reveal much about what is actually happening.  The  Settings -> Diagnostics - DSL  page will be useful too.
Unless I am mistaken, when the switch to ADSL2+ occurs early tomorrow morning, the line will be reset and a new 10 day training period will start.

Is the wiring between the phone socket to the BT hub exactly the same as when you were with BT broadband?  Have you changed any cables and microfilters?

robert1935
Grafter

Wiring has not been altered since Bt engineer fit it.
bill888
Champion

The DSL stats.jpg looks like the image you posted this morning.....
Before Plusnet instructed you to turn off the hub for a few minutes, did you recall whether the Broadband and Internet lights on the front of the hub were both green or red ?

With no router stats history prior to restarting the hub around 5.25pm, I can only speculate the noise margin must have dropped off considerably from 6db.  Restarting the hub at around 5.25pm when there was perhaps more noise on the line, resulted in the lower 2mb line speed presently reported by the hub in order to maintain the normal 6db noise margin.

robert1935
Grafter

Before I turned off the router all the lights on the front were solid green.
I used to build a PCs from scratch, I can water cool nearly every component, I can flash the bios till it sings, I can overclock it till its close to melt down, but things to do with the net leaves me cold, it has too many vagaries, too many things beyond my control.
All I know is PN promised me the same speeds as BT !!!!!!!!!
Regards Bob
Anonymous
Not applicable

That doesn't sound like a "PC Dummie" to me !  Roll_eyes
Did your modem switch to ADSL2 last night ?
robert1935
Grafter

Hi pureigh, there are lots of things I can do with a PC but there are more that I cant  Roll_eyes I was far more interested in building them, but that was many years ago, at 79 my fingers and memory AND patience are stretched to their limits Grin Grin
No I am still waiting for the update, it is scheduled for today? my speeds are getting worse.
I see you use Ubuntu, I used Ubuntu fo a few years Ubuntu 12.10 was my last one before migrating back to Windows,  might put it back on and dual boot,over the years I think I have tried every Linux distro there is.  Smiley
I am part of the experiment with  SamKnows white box, do you know if there any more on here?
Regards Bob
bill888
Champion

It would normally be completed before 6am.
Have you checked the router stats and DSL diagnostic history pages to see if there has been any activity overnight.
robert1935
Grafter