Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just half a meg more

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Just half a meg more

@MisterW - Those instructions are for the 2700, but the OP has a 2701. Do the same instructions work for both models?
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is more info on that model here - http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/161.htm
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

The setup instructions for 2701 are same as 2700 with v6 firmware.
Essentially, given the hub was working fine on BT ADSL broadband, all robert1935 has to do is power up the hub, wait 5 minutes, connect a computer to the hub and go to either of these URLs:
http://home/xslt?PAGE=HURL13       or       192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=HURL13
Type in plusnet supplied full username (eg. myname@plusdsl.net) and password.
The hub's system password (try the hub's serial number) also needs to be typed in to 'save' the above settings.  
The issue in the past is the original v6.1 firmware had a bug which prevented the factory default System password (serial number of hub) from being used to save the above settings in some circumstances.  Hence, it is advised to change the default System password to something else as a precaution.  The 2701 runs v6.3 firmware.
Once the settings are saved, the 'Re-attempting' message should appear.   Restart the hub and the Internet light should turn green within 3 minutes confirming there is a connection to PlusNet if the username/password details have been typed in correctly.

I have used a 2701HGV on Plusnet ADSL without problems.  I'll check later today if the factory default system password bug is still an issue on my 2701HGV.
[Update]:
I factory reset my 2701HGV-C.  I had no problems changing the username and password, and saving them using the default system password (serial number) using the above URL.  I don't have plusnet ADSL, so the next thing I did was to simply connect the hub to the OpenReach fibre modem and it successfully connected to Plusnet. (The 2701HGV-C supports both ADSL and fibre)
For those who are curious, I ran a speedtest.net using wired ethernet connection. The 2701HGV-C seemed to be capping the upstream speed to about 10mbps unlike the TG582N where I can reach 16mbps.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
robert1935
Grafter

Quote from: zzZzz
The setup instructions for 2701 are same as 2700 with v6 firmware.
Essentially, given the hub was working fine on BT ADSL broadband, all robert1935 has to do is power up the hub, wait 5 minutes, connect a computer to the hub and go to either of these URLs:
http://home/xslt?PAGE=HURL13       or       192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=HURL13
Type in plusnet supplied full username (eg. myname@plusdsl.net) and password.
The hub's system password also needs to be typed in to 'save' the above settings.  
The issue in the past is the original v6.1 firmware had a bug which prevented the factory default System password (serial number of hub) from being used to save the above settings in some circumstances.  Hence, it is advised to change the default System password to something else if this bug is present.  The 2701 runs v6.3 firmware - the password bug may or may not have been fixed.

Once the settings are saved, the 'Re-attempting' message should appear.   Restart the hub and the Internet light should turn green within 3 minutes confirming there is a connection to PlusNet if the username/password details have been typed in correctly.

I have used a 2701HGV on Plusnet ADSL without problems.  I'll check later today if the factory default system password bug is still an issue on my 2701HGV.
[Update]:
I factory reset my 2701HGV-C.  I had no problems changing the username and password, and saving them using the default system password using the above URL.  I don't have plusnet ADSL, but I will plug the hub into my plusnet fibre connection and confirm it is working as the 2701HGV-C is ADSL/fibre compatible later today.

Thanks for the info zzZzz, I am afraid it does not work for me the, it tells me that I have entered the wrong system password, I did read somewhere that the later models bt left the password blank I tried that as well, no luck, is there a way to change the password  ?
bill888
Champion

The factory default password is the 12 digit numerical serial number found on the label attached to the hub (The number which follows S/N:).  Try that first.

Otherwise, to change the system password
1. Start web browser.
2. Go to      192.168.1.254/      or      home/
3. Go to System -> System Info -> Password.
4. Click on I've forgotten the password, followed by I've still forgotten the password buttons.
5. Fill in the details requested on the page which appears.  You will need to use the 'Wi-Fi key' found on the label of the hub to fill in one of the boxes where it requires  the wifi or WEP key.

Alternatively, if you wish to factory reset the hub so the hub behaves like it just came out of the box (This will delete ALL customised settings), switch on the hub and wait 3 minutes. Then insert and hold a pin into the reset hole in the back of the hub.  Wait for the Power light to change from flashing red to continuous Red.  Then remove the pin.  Wait a longer 5 minutes for hub to start up.  The System password will be the S/N serial number of the hub.
robert1935
Grafter

No problems now  Smiley Smiley Smiley The problem was the reset button, must have been temperamental had to do it 3 times before it worked, now  thanks to you I have a fully functional BT router, first thing I did was check my speeds......3.72 hope it stays like that  Roll_eyes
Thanks again for yor help.
Regards Bob
dick:quote
bill888
Champion

You need to make a few changes  to finish off unlocking it.
1. Disable Openzone, to stop other people using your BT hub as a wifi hotspot!
2. Disable BT Fusion
Go to   home/   page
1. Services -> BT Openzone tab.  Under Status, click on 'Disable' button if visible.
2. Services -> BT Fusion tab if present.  Untick 'Enable this SSID'
It may take a few hours for the Plusnet profile to rise (Plus.net website. Members Centre - > Connection Settings -> High Speed broadband -> Current Line speed)  

One of the Plusnet techies here may be able to nudge the Current line speed upwards 'temporarily' if you ask them nicely.

The only other issue remaining is the ADSL1 v ADSL2+.
Let us know what the hub reports  (G.DMT??)
robert1935
Grafter

Is this what you need.?
bill888
Champion

yes, it reveals you are connected at 4,192 kbps line speed to the exchange, and you are on ADSL1 (G.DMT Annex A)
Check the Member's Centre 'High Speed broadband' web page.  Hopefully, I would guess it will 'eventually' rise to around 3.7 mbps if your hub can maintain the 4,192kbps line rate.  . It is this figure which will ultimately determine the maximum theoretical download speed of your ADSL line.   I guess you need a figure of at least 3.0 for your smart TV to work smoothly based on your previous comments.

ps. Don't forget to disable BT Openzone service on the hub.  Very important and often overlooked.
robert1935
Grafter

Hi,
I have disabled Openzone, but I couldn't see BT Fusion ?
bill888
Champion

Silly me.  You are right. There is no BT Fusion on 2701HGV-C.
Is there still an open ticket (questions) for the change from ADSL1 to ADSL2+ to take place within the next few days?
https://www.plus.net/wizard/index.html?p=search

Otherwise,  you will need to consider Matt's earlier offer.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,115276.msg994344.html#msg994344

robert1935
Grafter

[removed] - CSC Analyst
8:19pm, Sunday 26 May 2013
Dear Mr ,
As per our conversation, I have now placed the order with our suppliers to upgrade you to the 21CN/ADSL2+ network. This may take up to 1 week to complete, and we will update you via email on completion.
Should happen Sunday + bank holiday did come in that week, so it might be longer?
[Moderator's note by Dick(Strat): CSA name removed as per the forum rules.]
bill888
Champion

If you were definitely on ADSL2+ with BT, then you were on the 21CN network, and so you would stay on the 21CN network when you migrated to Plusnet.  Earlier posts by others have suggested you are on 21CN too.
The issue was when you moved from BT to PlusNet, Plusnet will have set you up for ADSL1 as I believe this is their normal policy for speeds up to about 4mb for the 21CN network.
In my opinion, if you want ADSL2+, I think you should take up Matt Taylor's offer, to review the ticket and request the switch to ADSL2+.  It is completed overnight, so you ought to have ADSL2+ by tomorrow morning if he puts the request in today.  You should not need to wait a week as per original ticket.

robert1935
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Hi all,
The order was placed on Sunday as stated, however while the service has been moved to 21CN it's at ADSL speeds. I'm not sure whether moving to ADSL2+ would make any difference given the current speeds but would be willing to place the order if you wish - bear in mind though that any speed increase is likely to be extremely minimal on top of what's being received already. It would complete tomorrow though if placed today.
@Robert1935 please let us know if you'd like to go ahead with this given the above?

Hi Matt, yes I would like to take you up on the above offer.
Thanks Bob
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's been placed for you and will complete tomorrow. Hope it makes an improvement.