Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just half a meg more

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Just half a meg more

Yes, that does make sense. You will have to contact Plusnet and have them check how your line is currently provisioned, and they can arrange for it to be changed to ADSL2+ if necessary. Plusnet's Digital Care Team probably won't be reading these forums until Tuesday, after the bank holiday.
robert1935
Grafter

Thanks one and all for the input, but I'm afraid I might be banging my head against a brick wall.  Cry
I have just contacted PN and spoke with a very obliging gentleman, who informed me that I was on ADSL2+ but he would tweak something or other to get me above 3+meg.
He came back 2mins later, good news Mr Walder your speed should now be constant above 3+megs, give it 15mins and then check your speeds, which I did, guess what it showed a speed of 2.3meg, checked it 15 mins later, hooray an improvement 2.46megs.  Crazy Crazy Crazy
Guess I shall be looking again for another ISP.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I don't think any ISP will guarantee any particular speed, and there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to achieve the same speed with Plusnet as you had before with BT.
That said, I couldn't see anything particularly bad in the router stats you posted, and the speed is already close to the expected speed for the 55.5 dB line attenuation. You say the speed increases after telephoning Plusnet tend to only last a few days - ideally the ADSL should be able to remain connected at the same speed for longer than that, but the uptime of 4 days in the stats isn't too bad, not really a problem in itself, especially on a long line.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: robert1935
I have just contacted PN and spoke with a very obliging gentleman, who informed me that I was on ADSL2+

Something is not right here !
Your earlier modem stats said -

That says "DSL Type:  ITU-T G.992.1"  which is the original up to 8Mb ADSL and NOT ADSL2 !
You can check that on Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.992.1
Several possibilities -
1)  It is possible that Plusnet (or BT) have inadvertently provisioned you on ADSL on 21CN.
    That is to say the exchange is forcing your connection to plain ADSL even though the exchange is ADSL2 capable.
2)  Perhaps your modem WAN settings are set only to "G.DMT" therefore is not allowing auto connection to higher protocols.
3)  Perhaps the PN support guy was talking nonsense !

Try phoning again, and point out that your modem says the DSL type is "G.992.1"
For ADSL2 you should look out for DSL type "G.992.3",  or ADSL2+ should be "G.992.5"
robert1935
Grafter

Hi Purliegh, thanks for the reply.
Contacted PN, they checked and said I was on ADSL2+, I insisted on speaking with the manager, who said he would do an in depth test of my line !!!!!
Came back two minutes later and apologized it seems I was not on ADSL2+ after all  Roll_eyes he assured me that he had attended to my complaint and had personally changed me over to ADSL2+, but it would take approx 5 days for it to become effective. So will keep my fingers crossed.  Smiley
Thanks once again.
Regards Bob 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool
I just hope your sync speed goes up after the ADSL2+ switch over !.
It should do, maybe just enough to get your extra half meg.
Using your line attenuation as input to the Kitz ADSL speed calculator
You can see the possible speeds for the different ADSL types -
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The reason I was asking for your router stats was so that I could do exactly the same check  as purleigh has done. That shows that your sync speed is not that far out given the length of your line. I'm afraid that any improvements than can be made are likely to be small and as you've found not that consistent. You are close to the point where ADSL2 or ADSL2+ is actually worse than ADSL1 - although you may get a better sync speed, you may find that is at the expense of more instability.
One thing to note is that the noise margin will vary during the day, it is normally lower during the evening. When your router syncs it negotiates with the exchange the best speed possible with a target noise margin which is usually 6, as the sync speed decreases the noise margin increases. You can use that to your advantage: at the time you posted the stats the noise margin was 6.8, if you'd restarted the router at that time it's likely that the noise margin would have dropped back to 6 and the sync speed risen. We usually recommend that you resync during the daytime (between 10 am and 3pm is ideal) to get the best speed.
If you are going to do restarts of the modem you need to be careful that the exchange doesn't see this as extra instability and slow you down even more in an attempt to make the line more stable. To avoid this:

• Go in to the router interface and click disconnect first

• Now power off the router

• Leave it for a few minutes before powering up again

• Don't do multiple restarts in quick succession - best to stick to once in any hour to be safe

If you could post the stats again after you've restarted the router during the daytime that might tell us a little more.
You've said that the router is in the master socket, are there any other sockets and are they in use?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
robert1935
Grafter

Hi jelv,
Thanks for the reply, I checked my speeds a couple of times first thing this morning, they were 2.4 and 2.69, not enough to work my TV.
I read your post and tried a modem disconnect the way you said, restarted the modem, checked the speeds and.... 3.13 and an hour later 3.4, and my TV works great.  Grin Grin
I know what I have done, and I know why I did it (cos you told me to) but I don't know what has happened to increase the speeds, and will it be only temporary ?  just checked speeds DOWN to 2.79.
Thanks
Regards Bob
PS....My stats as of now
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It's likely that your slow speeds may have been as a result of a resync occurring when the SNR was low anyway (probably during the evening). While there is not much you can do about it at the time, the next day you can check the SNR and if it is well above 6 force a resync by disconnecting and rebooting.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, I notice the exchange uses IFTN cards (Infineon)
The TG582N uses a broadcom chipset.   If you previously had a BT home hub 2 type B, or 3 type A, these use a Lantiq/Infineon based chipset.  Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if those particular home hubs connected at a tad higher speed to the exchange, or just held sync more consistently, than you are currently experiencing with the TG582N.

I had a similar experience where PlusNet was adamant I was on ADSL1 but my router said I was on ADSL2+ a few years ago.  I got higher speeds with ADSL2+ too, about 6.5mbps with my BT biz hub  2700HGV.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
robert1935
Grafter

Thanks for the info zzZzz.
You maybe right about the BT hubs, my friend who is a BT engineer gave me a BT business hub which I used with my BT broadband, that gave me speeds of 3.5 to 3.79. when I used the home hub my speeds were 2.97 to 3.15
I still have the BT hub, wish it would work with Plusnet. Funny about PN staff they argued adamantly that I was on ADSL2+, it was only on what members told me on this forum that I was able to quote numbers at them, so that they at least thought I knew what I was talking about.  Roll_eyes  Roll_eyes  Roll_eyes and backed down.  Grin
Regards Bob
itsme
Grafter

A BT Business hub will work with Plusnet, I and many others use them.  http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/ir1002700HGV.htm wiil show you how to set it up.
robert1935
Grafter

I thought things were OK, for the past 6hrs I have had speeds in excess of 3.19, been getting some use out of my smart TV, then the TV started stuttering checked my speed and it was down to 2.75 AAAAAAAGGGGGH
Went to members center and found this, what exactly does this mean.
dick:green Phone number removed from a public forum.
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

The '7.15Mb' looks like to be your Plusnet profile which seems higher than normal for your line.  I wonder if it has been reset very recently?
I would run a BT wholesale speed test, to compare.   After completing the basic test, run the Further Diagnostics test.  Just enter your phone number.
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
If you still have your BT 270xHGV business hub, I suggest you give that a try.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
offbeatdave
Grafter

You should remove your details from that screen grab!