Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just changed product to Fibre Value to Unlimited - do I need a new fibre router

shuffle
Dabbler

Just changed product to Fibre Value to Unlimited - do I need a new fibre router

Hi
Yes just went through the change product screens, one of the questions asked me do I need a new fibre router? Wasn't sure so I said no.
I was on Value Fibre at 11mbs, currently I have the netgearWNR1000v3.. and an BT OpenReach fibre router.
Please can someone advise me on this.
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Just changed product to Fibre Value to Unlimited - do I need a new fibre router

No, you don't need a new router

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Estragon
Rising Star

Re: Just changed product to Fibre Value to Unlimited - do I need a new fibre router

I was on Value Fibre with that router. I moved onto the 80/20 trial for a few weeks before the product went live.
When the product went live, I had to either revert to 40/10, (as the 40/2 had become at the same time), or upgrade properly and pay the rate.  (I hadn't had to pay extra on the trial).
I decided to upgrade, as that was free from the trial, and was advised I ought to have the new 582n router. So I took it - only having to pay the postage - as I reckoned they probably had a reason.
I did try it, but ditched it for the same reason as I had earlier ditched the Netgear, which I didn't use on the 80/20 trial.
I don't use either of them! My original Buffalo Nfiniti that I got for £24 on IDNet FTTC before I migrated to PN has far better wireless than either, and seems fine on Extra Fibre.
shuffle
Dabbler

So do I have the newest vesion of the fibre router or not..
If im signing up for Fibre Unlimited I want to make sure it s running as it should.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The router we're sending out for fibre is a TG582n, some people have found that the wireless is not as good as they'd expect on that though others are saying it's fine. To be honest though the Netgear will work fine, it's the openreach modem that maintains the connection anyway so all the router has to do is share the connection around your premises. If the Netgear does everything you want it to on that score there's no reason to change Smiley
shuffle
Dabbler

ok Matt thanks, will stick with the Netgear one for now  :).