Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just can't get the BT Speed Tester to work

foxboom
Dabbler

Just can't get the BT Speed Tester to work

Hi!
For as long as I've been a Plusnet customer, I've been trying to use the BT Speed Tester and it has NEVER worked. Sad
I've tried in Safari, Chrome and Firefox on my Mac, and IE and Chrome in Windows 7, and I've tried in the morning, evening, night, weekdays and weekends, and I always get "The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider."
I'm just trying to understand why I'm only getting a 7mb connection when I'm on an "up to 20mb" package and around 200 metres away from an ADSL2+ exchange, and I want to figure it out for myself. Smiley
Is there some trick to getting the BT profiler to work?
Thank you! Smiley
11 REPLIES 11
ramidoodle
Grafter

Re: Just can't get the BT Speed Tester to work

Hi,
I don't have any solution as to why you can't run the BT speed tester apart from updating Java on your Computer.
However, I assume that you are wanting to do a speed test because your line is getting a very good sync rate and an IP profile of about 19Mbps but the actual throughput is about 7ish Mbps?
If I'm right, I think I've just fixed your problem Smiley
Please keep us posted
[EDIT]
You might need to reboot your router
foxboom
Dabbler

Woah, AWESOME! Cheesy  I got disconnected for a minute, and now I'm on 11mbs! Cheesy
Thank you so much!  What did you do? Cheesy
HaydnExport
Grafter

I had a problem with the bt speedterster for a while , got stuck on a 'number of threads are 4'  on the loading bar.  Had to do a hdd format for another problem on my pc at the time and it was fixed on the fresh install.  Do you think you might have some sort of malicious software on both machines stopping you getting a test done?  Try borrowing a friends laptop and doing  a test?  Love the user name btw ,  cymru am byth !
Grafter

I also had problems recently getting BT speedtester to work. I did a power off reboot of router, updated Java and changed address to that below and the speedtester started to work again. Don't know why though.
http://speedtester.bt.com/
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@Cariad
It looks like our systems hadn't been updated to show that you were moved over to ADSL2+, so your profiles weren't automatically updated. Rami updated this and manually set your profile to match the exchange. Now that we've adjusted our systems to show ADSL2+, we shouldn't need to do this again Smiley
Grafter

Ben, which poster were you replying to in your Reply #5?
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The OP Smiley
I'll update my post to make it more obvious
foxboom
Dabbler

Quote from: HaydnExport
Do you think you might have some sort of malicious software on both machines stopping you getting a test done?  Try borrowing a friends laptop and doing  a test?  Love the user name btw ,  cymru am byth !

Cymru am byth! Cheesy
It's unlikely to be malicious software, since I've already tried it on my Mac laptop and a Windows 7 laptop, and they both fail.  But now that my connection problem's been solved, I don't mind that it doesn't work. Smiley
foxboom
Dabbler

Quote from: Ben
@Cariad
It looks like our systems hadn't been updated to show that you were moved over to ADSL2+, so your profiles weren't automatically updated. Rami updated this and manually set your profile to match the exchange. Now that we've adjusted our systems to show ADSL2+, we shouldn't need to do this again Smiley

Ben, I just wanted to say thank you so much to you and Rami and everyone!  I can't imagine any other ISP taking a post about the BT Speed Tester and taking the time to check my account settings. Smiley
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problem at all, glad to help Smiley
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

BT Speedtester is still behaving strangely here - shows me an "assured rate" IP profile of 135 kbps, with an acceptable speed range which I should have noted down, but way below what I normally get. The actual speed achieved on the BT Speedtester was around 2100 kbps.
On speedtest.net however, I'm getting the sort of speeds I expect.

My Current line speed: 14000
My router stats show I haven't lost synch for over 12 days.
ADSL line status
Connection Information
Line state Connected
Connection time 12 days, 02:02:13
Downstream 16,670 Kbps
Upstream 1,141 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 6.0 dB / 6.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 30.1 dB / 12.2 dB
I'll repeat the BT Speedtester after the hour is up and see i I still get the same result.
ETA: BT Speedtester now working properly...
Download speed achieved during the test was - 13734 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2000-21000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :16670 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1140 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 14000 Kbps
I suspect that the BT Speedtester is not in fact a single machine, but a cluster, and the response you get depends on the machine you actually connect to. Clearly they are not all configured the same...