cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just been connected to fibre AND...

JimF
Grafter

Just been connected to fibre AND...

...the download speed is the same as before!
The BT engineer has just left, he told me that the speed to their box was 39999Kbps/1999Kbps, but the internal download speed according to a speed tester is around 4000Kbps, which is similar to, or slightly less than before the change.  We were able to eliminate wiring as the cause by substitution, so I guess it is the provided router or some setting at PN.
Any suggestions, can someone at PN help please?
12 REPLIES 12
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Just been connected to fibre AND...

It will take a little while for your PlusNet profile to be updated from your current ADSL based one to the Fibre one. I'm sure if one of the DC team spots this thread they will change it. If no-one spots it by close of play then give the CSC a call and ask them to set your profile correctly for Fibre.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mwerle
Grafter

Same with me.  Interestingly enough my order support tracker got updated as follows, shortly after I updated it stating that the install had been completed:
Thank you for getting back to us. Please confirm which fibre package it is you would us to upgrade you too. We will then be able to update the speed profile for you.

First of all I thought they already knew what fibre package I was moving to and secondly I didn't think there were speed profile differences!  Traffic shaping and download limits are the only package distinguishers at present.
So I replied asking what the different speed profiles would be for the various packages, and no reply since...
JimF
Grafter

I phoned CSC and was told that the profile should change within the hour, so fingers crossed.  Many thanks for the help/suggestions.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@mwerle we have our own speed profiles which are set on an account type basis. I'm very surprised we don't seem to know what fibre product you wanted. Could you update the ticket to confirm that and that you are OK with the extra £10pm charge? Once you've replied I'll change the account for you.
@JimF glad the CSC sorted that for you...
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mwerle
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
@mwerle we have our own speed profiles which are set on an account type basis. I'm very surprised we don't seem to know what fibre product you wanted. Could you update the ticket to confirm that and that you are OK with the extra £10pm charge? Once you've replied I'll change the account for you.

Hi Adam,
I was somewhat surprised as well that PlusNet don't seem to have a record of the order - given that I was sent a router and an engineer came out this morning!  Possibly this is due to the ordering problem I encountered and the fact that the order was put through manually?
I realise you have speed profiles for the various ADSL packages; what I didn't know is that you have different speed profiles for the Fibre packages - I thought they were all 40/2?
Anyway, I updated the tracker (#46143596) as requested.
Thanks,
- Micha.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Yes, sorry about the hassle! I think its due to the manual nature of the order that the account type you wanted wasn't specified anywhere (should have been though). I've just changed the account type for you and have set the speed profile accordingly.
Give it a bash and let us know how you get on Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I think the talk of speed profiles is getting confusing. On our system we mirror the IP profile and for Fibre accounts this needs manually setting when the order has complete.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I assumed we were discussing the Ellacoya product related speed limits which are different for Extra Fibre and Value Fibre not the IP profile mirror
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The Ellacoya traffic management profile updates itself automatically upon product change.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

But they didn't know which product he was changing to - see Adam's post
mwerle
Grafter

Yes, sorry about the hassle! I think its due to the manual nature of the order that the account type you wanted wasn't specified anywhere (should have been though). I've just changed the account type for you and have set the speed profile accordingly.

No worries - glad things got done this quickly despite the ordering system playing up.
Give it a bash and let us know how you get on Smiley

[tt]
micha@anaconda:~$ wget --output-document=/dev/null http://speedtest.wdc01.softlayer.com/downloads/test500.zip
--2011-09-09 17:05:57--  http://speedtest.wdc01.softlayer.com/downloads/test500.zip
Resolving speedtest.wdc01.softlayer.com... 208.43.102.250
Connecting to speedtest.wdc01.softlayer.com|208.43.102.250|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 524288000 (500M) [application/zip]
Saving to: `/dev/null'
26% [=========>                            ] 138,444,212 4.43M/s  eta 88s
[/tt]
Excellent stuff - looks like I'm pretty much getting the speed which was guestimated!  4MBps =~ 35Mbps.  Add in the overheads (TCP / PPPoE / Ethernet) and I must be getting pretty close to 40Mbps.

Thanks again, Adam!  If you're ever near London, look me up - I owe you a beer! Smiley
- Micha.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Cheesy Awesome, no worries mwerle, enjoy!
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team