Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just a quick question :)

blinky
Grafter

Just a quick question :)

Hi,
I have just been upgraded from my 8mb to 11.6mb.  I have no complaints about my connection speed or reliability, both have been amazing since the day I signed up, BIG thanks to Plus Net.
My question is this, I have just checked my router and have found the connection speed to be this:
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:  448 / 11,647
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:         11.5 / 21.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:         17.5 / 33.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:                 21.5 / 7.0
Is this the maximum that my line can handle or will it increase over the coming days, or decrease?  Like I said I have no complaints at all and if this is the maximum then it's still better then before, would be nice to go higher though Smiley
Also could someone tell me if these errors are ok, I do turn the router off from time to time if that makes any difference to these errors.
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 89 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):              88 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down):                 88 / 515
HEC Errors (Up/Down):                 279 / 296
Cheers in advance for any information you can supply,
Blinky
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Just a quick question :)

Your downstream speed will probably stay much the same as you appear to have a default noise margin of about 6dB but you could ask for the upstream to be uncapped giving about a doubling of speed
Long term it is possible that the exchange could try a 3dB default noise margin with a speed increase but whether that will hold we can't say
You could try the test socket - during the day - and see if the speed increases as with that attenuation you may get a bit more speed
blinky
Grafter

Cheers for the reply,
I cant test the master socket as I don`t have one, the box has been replaced with an after market box and has only one connection, the one on the outside.  If 11mb is the fastest I can get for the moment then I am happy, the low latency is of more interest for me as a gamer.
One thing you did say that I am interested in is the upstream being uncapped.  Having a little more upload capability would be nice, who would I need to speak too? Would emailing Plus Net support be the correct path the take or is it BT that have to uncapp the line?
Cheers again
Blinky
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It needs to be done via BTw I believe so just raise a ticket
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI blinky,
If you let me know when you've raised the ticket I can get it picked up for you.
Jojo Smiley
blinky
Grafter

Hi Joanne,
Sorry its been a while since I posted, had a few things to deal with.  Wondering if you could point me in the right direction to raise a ticket.  Do I raise it through PN or though BT themselves.
Got the broadband running at just over 11mb now and very happy so thanks again to PN.
Cheers in advance,
Blinky.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Through the normal Plusnet ticket system
blinky
Grafter

Cheers Oldjim,
I have place the question to PN, hopefully it'll be possible to get the most out of this line.  Just noticed that my down speed has now increased to 12.6mb, that speed with the low latency of the pro package makes this the single best broadband I have ever had.
Cheers again
Blinky
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi blinky, glad you're happy with the service - thanks very much for the positive feedback Smiley
Please let us know if there's anything we can help with.