cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Junction Box to BT Master Socket Cable

paul12pn
Dabbler

Re: Junction Box to BT Master Socket Cable

Tried again without success. They're JPEG files selected by browsing.
Just tried resaving via an online photo editor. Here's the Master Socket if it works.
paul12pn
Dabbler

Junction Box
paul12pn
Dabbler

Bad photo of Junction Box cover off
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Paul,
Where shall I start, I can see why you've been having problems, in a nutshell - the whole lot needs sorting. To consider the best approach - a few questions I Think.
At the junction box, the BT incoming cable, roughly how much spare length is there before it goes through the wall to outside?
Now the cable going to the left, I can see it's a bad photo  Wink , that looks like an orange and a blue wire connected to the IDC terminals, and a spare brown and green in the cable not connected, would that be right?
The Master socket - it's not an NTE5, it's an older LJU type, Now there's a cable that goes to the right behind a radiator valve, where is that going? Does it connect to the master socket, the plugged in cable is obscuring the view?
There also seems to be one that goes down the LHS of the master and disappears under the carpet, again I assume it connects to the Master, is this the one that goes to the Junction box?
The cable that's plugged into the master - this looks like an extension cable (that I assume is ultimately going to a  filter - does that go under the carpet as well?
Where is the modem/router in relation to all this lot?
paul12pn
Dabbler

Thanks Anotherone,
My answers below;
Quote from: Anotherone
Hi Paul,
Where shall I start, I can see why you've been having problems, in a nutshell - the whole lot needs sorting. To consider the best approach - a few questions I Think.
At the junction box, the BT incoming cable, roughly how much spare length is there before it goes through the wall to outside?
None, it comes through a hole in the skirting board straight into the box.
Now the cable going to the left, I can see it's a bad photo  Wink , that looks like an orange and a blue wire connected to the IDC terminals, and a spare brown and green in the cable not connected, would that be right?
Correct
The Master socket - it's not an NTE5, it's an older LJU type, Now there's a cable that goes to the right behind a radiator valve, where is that going? Does it connect to the master socket, the plugged in cable is obscuring the view?
Thats an unused extension cable, not plugged in at either end.
There also seems to be one that goes down the LHS of the master and disappears under the carpet, again I assume it connects to the Master, is this the one that goes to the Junction box?
No, that's the same unused extension cable referred to above. The cable from the junction box enters the Master Socket from underneath the carpet, so it's not visible on the photo.
The cable that's plugged into the master - this looks like an extension cable (that I assume is ultimately going to a  filter - does that go under the carpet as well?
Where is the modem/router in relation to all this lot?
Yes, it is an extension cable that goes under the carpet.. Yes, the filter is plugged into the other end of the extension cable. The router is situated in a bedroom (it's a bungalow), and is plugged into the filter. The main DECT phone is also plugged into the filter, so only one filter is involved in the set-up.
Anotherone
Champion

It would seem that the location of the Master socket is totally the wrong place (especially the way you have your setup) would that be a fair comment?
Would a Master Socket near the Junction box be a more suitable location that would enable connection to the modem/router without cables going under carpets? Is the Junction box closer to the desired location than the current Master socket? In other words, could a cable be easily run along a skirting board from near the Junction box to get to the desired location?
I'll make some suggestions dependant on your answers and description.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Just to give you our answer to your original question....
My question is, do I need to contact BT to get this cable replaced?

Assuming you pay BT for the line rental then yes, the master socket should be regarded as a demarcation point where any repairs between that and the exchange would need to done by the phone provider.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
paul12pn
Dabbler

Anotherone,
Diffiult to say where a good place for the Master Socket would be. Wherever situated (in the main room), you would need to run a cable from it to the bedroom where the router is. Where it (the Master Socket) is now probably provides the shortest run. There's probably a stronger case to say that the router should be moved to where the Master Socket is, then run a network cable from it to the router, and eliminate the extension (or go wireless, but my Desk Top despite being new doesn't have built-in Wi-Fi).
So, in answer to your points;
      *No, I wouldn't say the Master Socket is in the wrong place.
      *No, having a Master Socket near the Junction Box wouldn't be a more suitable location. It would involve a longer run for any extension cable or network cable (if the router          was located near the Master Socket), and they would still go under the carpet, as far as I can see.
      *The Junction Box is further away from the router than the Master Socket; it's located near the front window of the main room. The Master Socket is in the middle of the main room, against an interior wall that forms the side wall of the kitchen (I think, originally it was also the dividing wall between Lounge and Dining Room, but the previous owners had part of it 'knocked through' to make one main room).
paul12pn
Dabbler

Thanks Adam,
It would be Talk Talk at the moment. How much would Plusnet charge if we moved the phone service over (I understand it's BT Wholesale that would have to do the work).
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi paul12pn,
How much would Plusnet charge if we moved the phone service over

Not a single penny, it's free if you have a working MPF line (the type Talk Talk provide) and the process usually takes a couple of weeks.
FYI if the line was with us I'd suggest that we raise a type of fault known as a "damage report" with our suppliers, that should then lead to the damaged cable being replaced and that may also provide you with a recourse to get the socket moved if that would be helpful.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
paul12pn
Dabbler

Here's a picture of the frayed wiring. I've had to crop some of the top and bottom of the photo to bring the file size down.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

yep, I'd definitely get that looked at Smiley
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion

@Adam
Even though that is the cable to the Master socket, are you aware of cases where OpenReach have repaired such damage without presenting the user with a bill when the damage has been caused by the cable being under a carpet?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I imagine they would have to conclude that the original wiring was fitted by an OR engineer, so if it was under a carpet it would have been put there by them Smiley