Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jolly slow today, or is it me?

fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Jolly slow today, or is it me?

I usually enjoy 9.5 Mbps down and 0.95Mbps up.....well for some years.
Because today seemed slow, I checked with my usual Tester.....Thinkbroadband (the BT Tester hasn't worked since I upgraded to Windows 7 at the beginning of the year) and it records 5.9Mbps down and 0.6Mbps up.
Are similar results being commonly experienced?
Regards....
18 REPLIES 18
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Jolly slow today, or is it me?

About average for me today.
Date 31/08/12 14:16:36
Speed Down 10579.79 Kbps ( 10.3 Mbps )
Speed Up 895.32 Kbps ( 0.9 Mbps )
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
fotobits
Rising Star

Thanks, Strat.
I reconnected the router this morning and it didn't improve the speed, however, I'll try again tomorrow!
Regards
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I've just checked and can see that the the profile is in line with ours and see no issues relating to sync speed so do post back if things are no better after a reboot.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
fotobits
Rising Star

Many thanks adam.
After my last reply to Strat, I powered down/powered-up the router and the Speed Test returned 5.4Mbps/0.8Mbps.
I rebooted Windows and the Speed Test returned 6.6Mbps/0.7Mbps.
If you can investigate at your end, Adam, I'd be most grateful.
Regards.....
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi,
If you could raise a fault for us first please, we'll be happy to look into that for you: http://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
fotobits
Rising Star

Thanks Adam.  Will do!
Regards
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've just had a look at your support ticket it looks like you may have wanted us to investigate further but then closed the ticket.
If you need any further assistance we'd just need you to complete the speed tests here: http://www.speedtester.bt.com
and then let me know so I can raise a new ticket that refers back to the previously closed one.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
fotobits
Rising Star

Thank you so much Adam, very sharp of you to notice!
The Report from Plusnet Support appeared to record that all was OK with my connection and I asked them to pursue, because my speeds are so much slower than usual.  However, I later decided to let the matter drop.
I would like to carry out a speedtest using the BT Tester, but that has not worked for me since last January, when I changed from XP to Win 7 and at the same time changed from Firefox to I-Explorer.
Try as I can I can't get it to work.
Therefore, my recent tests have been by using Thinkbroadband.....always similar results to BT Tester.  Thinkbroadband Tester records 4.6Mbps / 0.4Mbps, when for years I've experienced 9.5Mbps / 0.9Mbps.
I would love for this problem to be pursued however, in order to do so I guess I need to get the BT Tester working, in order to pass the matter to BT.....Any clues, Adam?
Regards....Noel
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

RE the BT speed tester it may just be that you need to install or update a java client: http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp
What actually happens when you try to use the tester?
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Please try this BT speedtester and see if it works:  http://speedtest.btwholesale.com
This does a quick test after which it offers the option of 'Further Diagnostics', click on that and I think you get the full diagnostics but this one often seems to work when the normal speedtester.bt.com fails.  Not 100% certain that this 'reports back' officially in the same way that the normal BT diagnostics does but probably worth a try.
The normal BT speedtester should work OK with Windows 7 and IE - if you're on 64 bit it might be worth trying it on the 32 bit IE that is available in Windows 7, otherwise try uninstalling Java, checking that IE is fully updated then re-install Java direct from the official site: http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp
[Edit] Adam beat me to it with the Java install / update site  Smiley
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
fotobits
Rising Star

Many thanks, Adam.
I have re-installed Java....no change.
I have re-installed Firefox.....no difference, same response as I-Explorer.
Response from I-Explorer is : "Test Error The performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection.  Please try again later, however, if the problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider."
If you can help, Adam, that would be great!
In the past, It has been unnecessary to disable my anti-virus s/w, but I have done this and firewalls in my latest tests, without success.
Thanks w23, the BT Wholesale Tester works OK, poor speed results.  I've not tried an alternative I-Explorer.....I'll look at this if Adam is unable to progress the matter.
Thanks again.....Noel
fotobits
Rising Star

Adam, I'll raise the BT Tester problem with Plusnet Support.
Regards.....Noel
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No need to, if you can just use the thinkbroadband tester and get a screengrab for us (let me know if you need help with that) and I can get the fault investigation going again.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
fotobits
Rising Star

Many thanks again, Adrian.
I attach the latest speed test results from Thinkbroadband.
This morning, I raised the BT Tester problem with Plusnet Support and apologise if this was really unnecessary, however, I'll leave that for the moment!
Thanks again for pursuing this matter.
Regards.....Noel