Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining PN with a line fault

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Joining PN with a line fault

Hi
Firstly apologies if this post is in the wrong forum.
A friend who is with TalkTalk (on a market 1 exchange) has had their line speed drop from more than 2 mbps to 1 mbps (& can be a lot less).
As they are getting nowhere with TT (no surprise there), my suggestion was to transfer to PlusNet.
But.... I am wondering if the transfer process & 10 day training period would result in the lines max stable rate & fault threshold being lowered due to the pre existing fault?
If so BT Openreach may say that the line operating "within limits" etc
His current download stats are synch rate 1088 kbps, Noise margin 5.5 dB, attenuation 60 dB whilst connected to the test socket & two different routers have been tried.
Richard
7 REPLIES 7
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Joining PN with a line fault

Hi RichardB,
The values for the lines max stable rate & fault threshold could result in being lower due to the pre existing fault, this does not mean we wouldn't/couldn't rectify this though.
It may just require a little more attention that's all.
Chris
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Is the exchange 20CN only? If it is he may suffer at the hands of the coarse IP Profile ranges and the extended periods it takes to adjust. TalkTalk will dynamically change on each connection.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's 21CN enabled and RichardB is on the up to 20Mb service so hopefully shouldn't be too bad. We'll make sure to keep an eye on things though.
EDIT: Eep, sorry missed it was a different line. May not work with a TalkTalk number as it's probably LLU but you could check http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome with a postcode/house number and check if it's 21CN or fibre enabled there? Alternatively there's http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search which will also provide that information.
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi all thanks for the advice
Quote from: jelv
Is the exchange 20CN only? If it is he may suffer at the hands of the coarse IP Profile ranges and the extended periods it takes to adjust. TalkTalk will dynamically change on each connection.

Yes is 20CN only & no LLU  - http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/STBDWSR
I guess he already suffers from the 20CN IP profile ranges as he is not on LLU.
Quote from: chrispurvey
Hi RichardB,
The values for the lines max stable rate & fault threshold could result in being lower due to the pre existing fault, this does not mean we wouldn't/couldn't rectify this though.
It may just require a little more attention that's all.
Chris
Thanks I will send him a link to his thread Smiley
He is going to switch the router off then back on & report the stats  shortly after switch on to see if the target noise margin is the same as the "operating" margin after several hours use.
Richard
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

As he's not on LLU, other than TalkTalk being difficult and messing things up when he tries to leave, there's no way he's going to be worse off on Plusnet.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I left AOL (now TalkTalk) because of their appalling customer support & service. Plusnet have been a revelation & I've recommended them to several friends & relatives.
Estragon
Rising Star

Quote from: RichardB
A friend who is with TalkTalk (on a market 1 exchange) has had their line speed drop from more than 2 mbps to 1 mbps (& can be a lot less).
His current download stats are synch rate 1088 kbps, Noise margin 5.5 dB, attenuation 60 dB whilst connected to the test socket & two different routers have been tried.
Does he know what his sync rate used to be?  Your description of things implies 1088kbps is well below trhe current FTR.  (Unless there was trouble in the first 10 days of connection, because that is when it is set. In fact that is all the 10 days is for).