cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with repeaters from main technicolour 852n - help please

dworrall

Issues with repeaters from main technicolour 852n - help please

To start with I would class myself fairly IT savvy, having been in IT for 20+ years and also completed a Cisco CCNA course (although a few years ago now)
This set up has worked on with the previous BT broadband (home hub router) but changing ISP to Plusnet I am having endless problems.
I have the main router in the lounge, a repeater (TP LINK WA701ND) in the back room and one in the bedroom (again TP LINK WA701ND)
I assinged a static IP address from the repeaters (set to universal repeat) (192.168.1.252 and 192.168.1.251)
When I log onto the main router (192.168.1.254) I can see the MAC addresses of the routers but they have been allocated IP addresses from the DHCP scope (well in devices it shows them as having different IP addresses i.e. 192.168.1.80)  Yet actually I can still access them from their actual address of 192.168.1.252.
I have issues when devices access the repeaters access points as they seem to get allocated a DHCP address the same as the repeaters IP address in the 'devices'.  For an example would be the TP link rpeater in the back room is allocated a static IP of 192.168.1.252 but in the devices table on the router is shows as 192.168.1.80, if my iphone access the internet via that repeater it seems to be allocated the same 192.168.1.80 address and cannot access the internet as there is an IP clash on the network.
I am very very frustrated with this, I have factory reset all the repeaters and the main router twice now but still the same problem.  I have reduced the DHCP scope of the main router to remove high end IP's yet it still does not seem to accept the static IP's I assign to the repeaters, they always seem to show within the DHCP allocated IP's and this is causing an issue
Can someone please offer some advise if I have missed a setting on the router or the repeaters
12 REPLIES 12
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: Issues with repeaters from main technicolour 852n - help please

If I read correctly you may have more than one DHCP server. Try turning all but one off.
Dan.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I assinged a static IP address from the repeaters (set to universal repeat) (192.168.1.252 and 192.168.1.251)

I'm not sure, but I thought the default DHCP range of the TG582n was .64 to .252 so you really need to assign static ips ( for the repeaters ) outside of the DHCP range, say .62 and .63. Then as Dan says, make sure that DHCP is disabled on the repeaters.
See how that goes...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dworrall

I have changed the static IPs to be 192.168.1.1 and .1.2 (although I have changed the DHCP scope of the router to be reduced to 192.168.1.50 - 192.168.1.150 after I factory reset it last time) and ensured both have DHCP disabled (which they were already)
On the devices tab on the main router both devices show as having a DHCP given address of 192.168.1.52
Appreciate the help but still very frustrated.
I can still access the GUI interfaces of the repeaters on their statically assigned addresses of 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 but the main router does not show them in the devices table under those addresses argh!!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

On the devices tab on the main router both devices show as having a DHCP given address of 192.168.1.52
I wonder...
Is that IP one that's been allocated to a device connecting through the repeater ? maybe the DHCP server in the TG582n is confused about where the request came from i.e it thinks it was the repeater rather than the device connecting through it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

I can still access the GUI interfaces of the repeaters on their statically assigned addresses of 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 but the main router does not show them in the devices table under those addresses argh!!

Well it won't as you've assigned static IP's to the repeaters, the main router only displays devices DHCP has allocated IP to.
Dan.
dworrall

Hi dan
Thanks, what frustrates me is even though i have assigned static ip addresses the MAC address of the repeaters show up in the devices assigned against dhcp ip addresses, these are also the ip addresses that are allocated to devices that access that repeater. So the repeater MAC address has a dhcp address assigned to it in the routers device table, this IP address is also assigned to the MAC address of a laptop or phone which is causing ip conflicts and the devices fail to connect to the Internet.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

That does seem somewhat strange  Huh
Just to check, my configuration works as expected [ laptop -> Edimax as universal repeater -> TP-Link router (DHCP server) ] with the laptop MAC in the DHCP client table.
I did have a problem a while ago where I could not connect through the Edimax via the ethernet connection, though I never checked if an address was being allocated. The solution was to replace a cheap switch with one that didn't cause UPnP problems  Smiley
Do you know if the HH registered the correct MAC addresses? Can you configure the HH username/password for Plusnet access?
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

What would happen if you didn't set static IP addresses for the repeaters?
pengbo
Grafter

Forgive me for asking this but why would you want to use access points as repeaters?  Using wifi to forward a signal to hard to reach areas has always seemed like a dogs dinner to me and I would much rather set-up the access point on a powerline plug and the same SSID and password but a different channel to the main wifi router.  You do it right and your wifi devices move seamlessly around your house with you none the wiser.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

This is what I'm doing, I am using TP-Link devices.
TL-PA211 Homeplug with switch for TV, DVD and Humax HDR
TL-PA211 Homeplug for DeskPC
TL-WPA281 as a Wireless access point for mobile devices.
Dan.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: pengbo
Forgive me for asking this but why would you want to use access points as repeaters?  Using wifi to forward a signal to hard to reach areas has always seemed like a dogs dinner to me and I would much rather set-up the access point on a powerline plug and the same SSID and password but a different channel to the main wifi router.  You do it right and your wifi devices move seamlessly around your house with you none the wiser.

Perhaps because it does not require the purchase of powerline plugs.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
pengbo
Grafter

£25 to £30 for a pair of these tl-pa211kit = very much less frustration is money well spent but I can see your point if you have the time to nurse it and keep it running