cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with new Thomson 585 v7

Snarf
Grafter

Issues with new Thomson 585 v7

Just got this through the post today, plugged it in and away we go. Thought I'd change the password to something more memorable for me, however it keeps reverting to its old password? It'll accept my new password maybe once, then revert. Also within the first 45mins whilst connected with 6dB SNR downstream, it suddenly disconnected, then reconnected. I'm struggling to see how this is an improvement over my Netgear DG834Gv3 that I was told didn't "officially" support ADSL2, so was sent out the Thomson by PN.
Is the interface on the Thomson supposed to be slow and clunky too, or is it just me?
Just looking at it again, it seems every time I reset the password, the router shuts itself down and factory reboots. Does this mean I can't actually change the password?
Also is it possible to change the SSID?
It's all very frustrating - grrrrrr!  Sad
20 REPLIES 20
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Issues with new Thomson 585 v7

They're not the best, Hope this link may help you.  http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/thomson_changepass.shtml
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Snarf
Grafter

Yup did that and after it's accepted the new password, it then seems to restart itself and lose the new password. I tried changing the SSID and the channel number with the same result. Almost seems like the router is locked down to the original PN settings and any change I try and make results in it factory resetting. Could it be a router issue or something else?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Strange, I don't know what  else to suggest, Hopefully a more knowledgeable member of the forum can help you out with this, I've used the Plusnet router before and managed to change a whole bunch of settings without any problem so It may well be a dodgy router or dodgy firmware.

Edit..Typo
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
MrT
Grafter

I've got exactly the same problem. See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,88256.0.html
I too would love to be able to change my password, SSID, etc.
I'm still waiting for someone from PN to reply. I know they've been a bit busy today so am waiting patiently.
Snarf
Grafter

Well I'll raise it as a ticket if I have no official response tonight. After all this was supposed to be an improvement on my Netgear router, so far it's proving to be anything but that!
Apprentice
Grafter

Quote from: Snarf
Just got this through the post today, plugged it in and away we go. Thought I'd change the password to something more memorable for me, however it keeps reverting to its old password? It'll accept my new password maybe once, then revert. Also within the first 45mins whilst connected with 6dB SNR downstream, it suddenly disconnected, then reconnected. I'm struggling to see how this is an improvement over my Netgear DG834Gv3 that I was told didn't "officially" support ADSL2, so was sent out the Thomson by PN.
Is the interface on the Thomson supposed to be slow and clunky too, or is it just me?
Just looking at it again, it seems every time I reset the password, the router shuts itself down and factory reboots. Does this mean I can't actually change the password?
Also is it possible to change the SSID?
It's all very frustrating - grrrrrr!  Sad

Have you upgraded the DG834G v3 with the most recent official UK firmware > link
Snarf
Grafter

Nope, was using the DGTeam firmware - http://dgteam.ilbello.com/
paxy
Grafter

I have had the same problem.  After pressing apply the router ssems to  crash, reboot and then go back to the original settings.  I have alos not been able to get it to work with sipgate and have had problems with connecting to Windows 7 via WPA2.
I am not sure if it is a poor router or poor firware.
jheenan
Grafter

They are terrible, terrible routers.
The web i/f has been slow and clunky on every firmware revision I've tried, and on 3 different sets of hardware.
If you look on ebay, you'll see them being sold for as little as £3.50 including P&P, which I think gives you an idea of how highly they're valued! A huge difference to the prices the BT 2wire routers go for.
I've had terrible issues with the Thomson's, including:

• Rebooting when used with a lenovo laptop (which did get fixed so at least it didn't reboot, thanks to a new build from Bob Pullen)

• Deciding to disable the internet connection in a way that can only be re-enabled using the CLI anytime you change anything in the web i/f

• Blocking PPTP VPNs, the only fix for which seems to be to reload the version that reboots with the lenovo's, and even that doesn't seem to fix the VPN (works fine with a netgear though)

plus.net have now told me mine is out of warranty, so if I want a fixed router then I'll need to pay - but the "fixed" new router will still be supplied with the same broken firmware. (!)
One has already gone in the bin and been replaced with a Vigor 2820n. I think the other ones are about to go the same way (though any suggestions for a good router welcome!).
Snarf
Grafter

Well I'll wait to see if PN respond to my ticket (it's been a few days now!), at least I've kept hold of my Netgear router. I've seen in other thread that the PN CS peeps have been saying they've not experienced any of the issues, I just couldn't figure out if the router had been tied down by PN or not (given the reboot on any setting change).
The only positive is that it is slightly more stable than my Netgear, though it has done a couple of random reboots whilst having a decent SNR.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Snarf ,
I have just replied to your ticket. Hope that helps.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@ paxy,
the issue with windows 7 is a well documented one and not just specific to thomson routers. However, if you have a look at this recent thread there may be something there that can help.
Jojo Smiley
Snarf
Grafter

Ta Jo, fingers crossed  Smiley
Snarf
Grafter

Jo - thanks v much. The new router seems to have accepted all the settings and is now working like a wonder  Grin