cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with SSL sites

ch166erd
Dabbler

Issues with SSL sites

I'm having big trouble with websites that require SSL. It started this morning I think, or late last night.
The only clue I'm getting is in Firefox, I get the message:
Secure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to (insert site here).
SSL peer reports incorrect Message Authentication Code.
(Error code: ssl_error_bad_mac_alert)
And sometimes, I'm seeing pages just showing 'Bad Request'
I've tried Chrome and IE and still get similar error messages from all. I've also tried my laptop and even my HTC Sensation (using the PN internet via wireless), nothing is happy with secure sites!
Any ideas what might be going wrong?
I'm not convinced it's a problem with PN, but 3 different devices all having problems with the same internet connection seems fishy.
31 REPLIES 31
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Issues with SSL sites

Have you a spare router you could try?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ch166erd
Dabbler

Afraid not. I've got the standard one PN sent with fibre broadband. I've already tried rebooting that, but no improvement.
I've also googled around a little and had people mention system clock and other petty things which don't help me.
At a bit of a loss.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Try setting the MTU to 1458 in your router.
ch166erd
Dabbler

I tried the MTU thing, didn't work for me.
I found an old router, but from Canada. And I blew up the transformer, it wasn't happy with 240V, oops!
Think I'll go and buy a new one and try and rule that out.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I know somebody that moved house and got the transformer bricks mixed up. Their DG834 router that wanted 9V wasn't happy with the 24V supplied by the printer's transformer!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
VOD
Grafter

Are you on Fibre to Cabinet ? or 21CN
I have the same problem on two sites in Sheffield. Connections to banks and remote desktops are problematic and did not manage to get any where with support. I tried a 21cn connection (spare connection in case of disaster) and all is well so there is a definite problem on the network somewhere...
David M
ch166erd
Dabbler

David, I'm on Fibre to Cabinet I think.
It seems to be getting worse.
Normal http browsing I now see 'The connection was reset' in Firefox intermittently. Also, quite a few sites load with images and stylesheets missing.
Https is very hit and miss. Half the time I get:
Secure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to portal.plus.net.
SSL peer reports incorrect Message Authentication Code.
(Error code: ssl_error_bad_mac_alert)
I've tested it now on my main machine, 2 laptops and a smart phone. All the same (depending on their respective browsers)
Clicking retry of refresh in most cases means it will work eventually.
Sounds like instability to me? Could be line speed/profile be set too high? It's currently 37MB I think?Huh
I think it's fair to say that up until a day or 2 ago, the connection was flying. Waaaaay better than anything Sky could provide this century. It's just the last couple of days I've had these issues. And it's quite important I get to the bottom of it ASAP as I work from home and all this is adding up to a nightmare trying to connect to the office over VPN and using SSH for SVN.
I'm going out to source a transformer for the old router. Hope I didn't blow that up too....
Any suggestions/help in the meantime is welcome!
Thanks
VOD
Grafter

I think you have the same problem as me / us, getting 37mb means you are on fibre to cabinet...  another test is to try mybroadbandspeed.co.uk .. I can do a download but not an upload ... this fails ... Does yours ? I spoke to +net at length but they seem a little hesitant to believe it is not a site problem and told me to install some network traffic stuff which I am not prepared to mess with something I don’t know anything about...So I really need someone on the 2nd line of support to get in touch..... 
David M..
ch166erd
Dabbler

@VOD - yes exactly the same. Download speed is fine, but it can't seem to even start an upload test.
To me it makes sense that if upload is the problem it would interrupt the SSL handshaking? Just a thought, I'm no real expert.
mcg
Dabbler

I'm experiencing the same. Very slow response but normal page loading speed when it does happen.
Speedtest.net & Mybroadband speed show my normal download speed (28m) but will not do upload test.
This started about lunchtime yesterday (tuesday 17th)
I have powered down, left off for about 60 mins and rebooted the BT modem & the WNR1000  twice but no difference.
This is all sites - not just SSL
Now so slow that it is more or less unusable.
Mike
ch166erd
Dabbler

Unfortunately the spare router is dead.
Browsing is still bad. I've turned off all firewalls and anything I can think of that might !ffect it. I've !lso raised a fa5lts ticket.
An9one from PN with anymore ideas?
VOD
Grafter

I still think it is a plusnet problem...  I am going to raise anothert ticket on my other account now...  tried posting here for the last few hours but keep getting kicked off ...
Let hope they realise there is a real issue
David
They have told me to run wireshark and send them the results... Looks like a piece of kit to monitor traffic... let you know if I get anywhere with it...
ch166erd
Dabbler

I can run Wireshark, but interpretting the results is beyond me  Sad
Let me know how you get on.
Just out of curiosity, is everyone with this problem in Sheffield? I'm on the beauchief exchange.
mcg
Dabbler

I'm on the Beauchief exchange too. (FTTC) Dore