Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with content sharing ip address on TG582n

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Issue with content sharing ip address on TG582n

its was aimed at lotrjw
sorry I didn't see your post, I had the reply page up for about  an hour before I actually posted it (got side-tracked by something else) and used hot paste after hitting f5 to make the reply .....
it would depend on what sort of printer you were trying to share out, if its a USB one connected to the router, then you would need to assign the Thompson a static IP, before adding the printer to it, then enable lan access to the usb port (if this isn't a default service on the router) run printer discovery from the various pc's with both router and printer connected and switched on, and it should just work *of course most stuff never does*
if your router isn't setup to have a fixed IP address then it cant be used for network printing (long and convoluted address matching reasons),
if your attempting to use it for a wifi or lan based printer then that's a whole different ball game .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
lotrjw
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm
no,
you have to disable DHCP in the router (its a check box) or you will effectively have two servers competing against each other to offer a connection and nothing will work ....

I did mean with the DHCP off in the router! Now im using my windows server (which I wish I had used from day 1 now!), so I will only be using the routers as wireless access points switches and one of them will access the internet with PPPoE.
I might switch to just using my server as a router too and get the internet workin g as PPPoE to that then out to Switches wireless access points ect instead of the nonsense of the routers I have used!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

and it should just work *of course most stuff never does*
Exactly!. In reality I was just seeing if it would work. In the short term I just connected the printer directly to my PC.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

nanotm
Pro

@MisterW its often far simpler to just share the connected device from the pc across the network, but it can cause problems if your not using that pc all the time and need to print....I ended up getting a network printer when the one I wanted was on a sale 

Quote from: lotrjw
I did mean with the DHCP off in the router! Now im using my windows server (which I wish I had used from day 1 now!), so I will only be using the routers as wireless access points switches and one of them will access the internet with PPPoE.
I might switch to just using my server as a router too and get the internet workin g as PPPoE to that then out to Switches wireless access points ect instead of the nonsense of the routers I have used!

but then your missing the hardware firewall loop
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

.I ended up getting a network printer
I already have one, I was just 'playing' with a USB Laser one I'd 'acquired' to see if printer sharing would work via the TG582n

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

nanotm
Pro

ahh,
having looked into the matter a bit more it would appear the usb sharing only works with certain firmware on the 582 anyway so its rather a lame duck in that respect... some things do it by design and I have no doubt PlusNet work hard messing with config files to deliver other things through them but then it sacrifices things like usb sharing
as with all things though you only get what you need, I need a different product to suit my usage and setup so my 582 is sat in its box in a cupboard (in case of emergency) and will probably end up on ebay in another year having been used for less than a day ..
on the positive side the 582 is a £40 product and provides the same usage options as bt's home hub which costs  over £100  and still doesn't provide usb device sharing despite having a usb port.....
lotrjw
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm
but then your missing the hardware firewall loop

I know it was a moment of thought due to so much tech not working! I would have to set up a software firewall on my server to do the right stuff, I think I will try a third party router before I go down that route! I have seen one on Amazon for about £15 that has VDSL, so I might get that, as it would save too many things eating electricity too!
nanotm
Pro

i'd be carefull of anything purporting to offer vdsl below £100 , any chance you have a link to this marvel ?
your probably better off getting an ewan capable dual stack router (this means it can do both ipv4+6 at the same time independently of each other)  looking towards the future but then there going to cost a fair bit..... I almost bought a vdsl router a while ago  but in the end plumped for just replacing my old 7800 with a new one (its doing something that annoys me on the url filter) but then it was £100 cheaper than the vdsl version of the same router....
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: lotrjw
I have seen one on Amazon for about £15 that has VDSL

Check carefully - You can't get a VDSL router (ie one with a built in modem) for £15....
lotrjw
Grafter

I just checked I cant even find what I what I saw now ether I imagined it, or when searching for VDSL routers I saw an ADSL router that was about the £15 mark and mistaken it for VDSL. Never mind.
@nanotm a dual stacked ewan port router sounds like a good idea actually think that would be fine for what I need.
nanotm
Pro

then your looking for something like the billion bipac 7800 or newer stuff (wirered or wifi version available) or draytek new stuff but tis all between 100>200 £ most of the time sometimes theres offers at lower prices (just picked up a spare 7800 for £60 off amazon brand new Smiley )
lotrjw
Grafter

OK new router arrived today got it set up and still same issue with content sharing stuck at 192.168.56.102, Im wondering if the BT OR modem has a DHCP server on thats causing conflicts?
Edit: I have managed to rule out the BTOR modem as I tried the new router not connected to it but connected to my server and wifi enabled ect still no joy still 192.168.56.0 subnet is being given out! when my DHCP server is giving out 192.168.255.0 subnet! I have to say I dont tink its the new router ether though, as my new phone is doing exactly the same thing via DHCP when I was using a backup router (tg585v8), while waiting for my new tg582n to arrive! The problem has only existed since I have had FTTC though so Im none the wiser?
nanotm
Pro

it might have a fixed ip but 192.168.56.xxx would seem like an odd choice, have you tried reassigning the stuck device a different ip address ? you might need to manually assign a different ip on the device itself in the ipv4 protocol properties page to get it to change what it uses to what you want it to use and then configure the server to allow that ip address /mac combo, i'm not overly familiar with server routing setup
lotrjw
Grafter

@nanotm My new phone cant be assigned a static IP, I didnt know that when I brought it! I would like a way of assigning the content sharing a static IP if possible.
thus is some screen shots of my router:
http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/w639/lotrjw/routerscreenshots19-09-201323-28_zpsc5984691.png
nanotm
Pro

seeing your netdiagram
are all those devices on the same network and the routers being used for sharing the numbers of Ethernet ports and secondary as a wifi ap  or are they all on separate subnets that don't see/ping each other ?
if its the former then why bother with routes when unmanaged gigabit switches will do the job cheaper and better (5 and 8 port for instance)
as for the problem with the phone, you should be able to assign it a fixed ip address in the server based on its mac address so it will always get the same one (this used to be called mac locking and is largely frowned upon due to the problems that can arise from it needing to make changes)
you also need the dhcp server to be setup for manual assignments and assign every ip individually based on its mac address (which is why its frowned upon because hardware changes require excessive amounts of work)
your other option would be to change the server setup so that it provides the sharing based on user name and populate the user name field with mac addresses, of course it will require some form of database tie-in but its how a lot of businesses' provide shares (well the user name field is), and it allows dynamic ip's, but there might be some cost involved in getting that ability unless you have the full server licence