cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue after issue after issue...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Issue after issue after issue...

Of course the best way to eliminate internal wiring issues, is to remove the internal wiring !
Fit a filtered faceplate (as shown) to your master phone socket, and don't reconnect the extension wires.

Plug your broadband modem directly into the "ADSL" socket - using the shortest RJ11 cable available.
Get some wireless telephones, and plug the DECT base-station into the "PHONE" socket.
Job done !  - your phone and broadband wiring is now as good as you can get  Cool

As a compromise, the filtered faceplate shown also allows you to reattach your original phone extension wiring, but it will now filter the extension wiring (including the "bell-wire") - but your extensions can now only be used for telephone (not your modem), however you no longer need all those nasty dangling filters to be attached to each phone.

As a compromise to the compromise,  the above faceplate has a second set of extension terminals intended for a separate extension cable for your unfiltered broadband signal, preferably connected using some decent cable like cat5, so your modem can be located further away.
I wouldn't recommend doing this, as broadband ALWAYS works best when the modem is plugged directly into the master socket.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: briarley17
Hi all, thanks for all the info and advice and generally taking the time to help a stranger!

Briarley17,
That's what the community is all about, especially in a situation such as yours.  You clearly have a REIN issue and an "interesting" internal wiring set up.  These issues are amongst the most difficult to address, are outside BTOR's scope and remit which until addressed you are wasting your time and effort chasing PlusNet / BTOR as there is next to nothing they can do.  Even if BTOR were to locate a source of REIN, the have no powers to make the owner of the source rectify the problem.  After you've got everything under your control into the best state you can make it, one can then return to looking at the state of the link at the "best" time of day to see if there is also a line issue which gives rise to a greater susceptibility to REIN.
Mitigating the effects of REIN is a journey - one that from experience requires hand holding as the impact of some of the things which can be done are unexpectedly good in spite of what logic might otherwise indicate.  Sorting out the internal wiring - standard, structure (star vs. daisy-chain vs mixed) and number of connected wires could deliver 50% improvement in some circumstances, even though the extensions are on the filtered side of a new VDSL faceplate.  Anotherone is a great guide...
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: purleigh
Of course the best way to eliminate internal wiring issues, is to remove the internal wiring !
Fit a filtered faceplate (as shown) to your master phone socket, and don't reconnect the extension wires.

We now have an NTE5 socket, newest version with phone and broadband plugs above and below the recessed line. And yes, the router is attached directly.

Purleigh,
Easy to miss details in a busy thread!!  Wink
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Embarrassed
Fortunately the jist of what I said still applies, particularly regarding the necessity to filter phone extension wiring, whether the extension wires are actually used or not.  It would still be optimal just to disconnect the extension wires from the back of the master socket faceplate.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Townman

We now have an NTE5 socket, newest version with phone and broadband plugs above and below the recessed line. And yes, the router is attached directly.

Purleigh,
Easy to miss details in a busy thread!!  Wink
Kevin

Oh dear, as you say Kevin, easy to miss details in a busy thread which I did as well Embarrassed
However, 1st question to briarley17, is the modem/router going to remain plugged in here at the master socket or do you wish to move it back to it's previous location?
2nd question, is it plugged directly into the top socket using the original short cable? Using "extension" cables can be as bad as the wrong standard wiring.
@purleigh
Plug your broadband modem directly into the "ADSL" socket - using the shortest RJ11 cable available.

Perfectly correct, and this always sounds like the perfect solution BUT it's not always convenient to locate a modem/router permanently at the "master" socket. There may not be a convenient physical location for the modem/router, nor a power socket nearby. Then there could be the issue of having an ugly Ethernet cable going to your computer(s) if you do not wish to use wireless, especially as it can give poorer performance.
Get some wireless telephones, and plug the DECT base-station into the "PHONE" socket.

I would not recommend this as a matter of course. Some DECT phones can play havoc with broadband and double filtering doesn't always cure the problems. Also unless the base station has battery back-up, they won't work in a power cut - think about the possibility of an emergency situation. Whatever solution, you should always keep a corded phone as a standby. (and for testing).
As a compromise, the filtered faceplate shown also allows you to reattach your original phone extension wiring, but it will now filter the extension wiring (including the "bell-wire") - but your extensions can now only be used for telephone (not your modem), however you no longer need all those nasty dangling filters to be attached to each phone.

That previous quote is of course correct.
As a compromise to the compromise,  the above faceplate has a second set of extension terminals intended for a separate extension cable for your unfiltered broadband signal, preferably connected using some decent cable like cat5, so your modem can be located further away.
I wouldn't recommend doing this, as broadband ALWAYS works best when the modem is plugged directly into the master socket.

Now, I'm afraid this is where some myths come into play.
You certainly need to use twisted pair cable (and not connect the bell wire), but using ugly Cat5 is totally unnecessary. CW1308 cable (as used by BT) is perfectly adequate for all ADSL. It is also UNTRUE that broadband always works best when plugged into the master socket. If CW1308 cable and filters are installed correctly broadband will work just as well at an extension socket.
briarley17
Grafter

"If a piece of wire in your phone extension circuit happens (by chance) to be the same length as the wavelength (or multiple) of a nearby interfering signal..."
That makes much more sense thank you Smiley
Thanks for all your replies, learning lots in the process of this!
Quote from: Townman
That's what the community is all about, especially in a situation such as yours.  You clearly have a REIN issue and an "interesting" internal wiring set up.

Well I appreciate the help. I'm unable to really contribute to this community (particularly when people like yourselves do such good jobs of it already), but I like to think I do my fair share elsewhere!
I'll go through the steps tomorrow when I have some time and post back with my findings. I'll also post my latest router stats.
Anotherone: It will remain in the master socket as this is its permanent location and yes it's in the top socket using the original short cable.
As you say, it's useful to have a phone when the power goes out. We have a corded phone on an extension socket for such occasions.
Anotherone
Champion

Then as far as your internal wiring goes, it should no longer be an issue. If using your cordless phone seems to have an effect on the SNRM, try double filtering it.
All you need to do now is track down any possible internal sources of interference (which can still be a problem even with no internal wiring).
Bear in mind also, that if you have an external line fault, or if one of your neighbours on the same DP has, hence on the same cable back to the cabinet, then their broadband signal can give considerable crosstalk interference to yours. Them switching off & on or rebooting their modem/router can easily cause the sort of steps seen on your SNRM graphs.
But you also have interference from something "warming up" after its switched on by the looks of the major decay in SNRM in a short timescale - the one circa 2000 IIRC. That could be discharge lighting, TV set or something similar. Not necessarily yours, it could be a neighbour's.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Anotherone
there could be the issue of having an ugly Ethernet cable going to your computer(s) if you do not wish to use wireless, especially as it can give poorer performance.

What ? I've never seen an 'ugly' ethernet cable !  Crazy
Look how pretty they are ! (even the pink one) -

I have used successfully used a star network of wireless bridges without performance issues,
but now run my network over the main wiring using homeplug adaptors.

Some DECT phones can play havoc with broadband and double filtering doesn't always cure the problems. Also unless the base station has battery back-up, they won't work in a power cut - think about the possibility of an emergency situation. Whatever solution, you should always keep a corded phone as a standby. (and for testing).

Cobblers !,  DECT phones DON'T interfere with broadband unless they are faulty, or don't comply with "CE" specifications.
There should be nothing in a DECT phone causing interference or operating on the same frequencies as ADSL broadband.
Regarding power cuts (and testing) I have a wired handset and multiple mobile phones, BUT my modem, router, and DECT base station are powered by a UPS, therefore it protects the equipment from conducted mains noise, maintains the mains power for about two hours in the event of power outages,  and protects my broadband IP profile from dropping after a series of mains brownouts.

You certainly need to use twisted pair cable (and not connect the bell wire), but using ugly Cat5 is totally unnecessary. CW1308 cable (as used by BT) is perfectly adequate for all ADSL. It is also UNTRUE that broadband always works best when plugged into the master socket. If CW1308 cable and filters are installed correctly broadband will work just as well at an extension socket.

What is it about cables that makes them ugly ?  Crazy
Does "Cat5 Girl" change your mind ? -

Being pedantic, ADSL will NEVER be BETTER on an extension than being directly in the master socket, although it may appear to be no worse.
Fortunately you have established that this is not an issue for 'briarley17'.
Anotherone
Champion

Well cobblers to your cobblers Wink   Whilst you are correct that DECT phones shouldn't cause any issue if they are compliant with CE specs, I've personally seen CE marked phones that do give a problem. I've also seen some Panasonics widely reported as causing issues, I've seen a BT set cause issues myself, so whether it's that they just aren't complying or are faulty from new, I don't know.
The fact is they can cause an issue, and if you are having problems with broadband and have DECTs one of the first things to do is turn the whole lot off, handsets and base station, to eliminate them from the problem. To pretend or claim otherwise is as good as sticking ones head in the sand.
Whilst pink Cat5's may look sexy, they are fat compared to CW1308 and I've seen several posts round these boards over the years where posters have commented that  their SWMBO has moaned about Cat5 cable - even mine does - mind you she moans about computers  Roll_eyes
But however, this should not detract from the fact that correctly installed extensions should NOT reduce broadband performance.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Perhaps they were the 'other' CE marked phones.
They should be compliant with "Conformité Européenne",  and NOT to be confused with "China Export" !  Crazy

Theoretically the electronics in DECT phones is so well filtered that you shouldn't need any filters when used along side broadband.

I don't have any problems with my SWMBO objecting to cables,  she earned pocket money as a child making industrial cable harnesses on a bed of nails and using waxed cable lacing tape,  so she really appreciates a good looking bunch of cables !
Grin