cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is upgrading to Fibre a cure ?

ianbuck

Is upgrading to Fibre a cure ?

I have been with Plusnet for a long time now and have nothing but praise for the service I have received.
3 months ago I upgraded from 60GB to unlimited with a new Technicolor router and have had nothing but trouble ever since with my line dropping connections. I have now sussed out that the NTE5 face plate is faulty so am plugged directly into the master test socket until a new one arrives, this seems to have solved the drops, but last Saturday the exchange dropped my connection speed and I can only get 0.25Mbps download.
I was assured by Plusnet 2 days ago that it had been reset, I tested it and it was back up to 2.8Mbps, but this only lasted several hours before going back to 0.25Mbps again. In frustration I started looking at other providers and found on the BT site I was able to have Fibre. So I checked my account with Plusnet and it also states that fibre is available as an upgrade. Is there a site I can put in my phone number into to check for sure that I can get fibre as the openreach site says that there is a delay with the cabinet supplying my number.
If it is available, is upgrading to fibre going to cure my current problems.  Undecided  Undecided
12 REPLIES 12
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Is upgrading to Fibre a cure ?

welcome to the forums ianbuck Smiley
upgrading brought reliability to my line as well as a massive (10x) speed increase. ymmv though.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

As above, my line suffered from intermittent interference that dropped SNR margin significantly leading to sync speed drops FTTC (for me) is much more stable but it all depends whether the problem is on the exchange side of the cabinet (FTTC will probably cure this) or the local (distribution) side of the cabinet (FTTC may suffer badly in this case).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

My cab is 2.5 miles from the exchange & my ADSL service was abysmal. The change to fibre was a total revelation & the OR engineer told me that my original copper exchange side connection was truly terrible. I'm so glad that I made the change. My fibre is rock steady &  the recent BTOR upgrade to the modem's software has increased my speeds by another 15%. Smiley
ianbuck

I spoke to a nice guy at Plusnet who told me I was only 0.8 miles from the cabinet and could expect a min fibre speed of 28.9,  Cheesy  Cheesy so I went ahead and ordered it.
At best I only got 2.8Mbps but comparing it to the 0.25Mbps I am getting now,  its an astronomical improvement. I had thought to go over to BT but the deal I got today has made me stay.  Grin
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

At best I only got 2.8Mbps but comparing it to the 0.25Mbps I am getting now

I'm surprised the SNR reset didn't fix that, I've just submitted another for you, that should take affect soon but can take up to around 4 hours so do post back if you don't notice any change.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

yeah when you compare prices the PlusNet unlimited package is a lot cheaper than BT's, not to mention there forcing everyone into the cg-nat who doesn't have a static ip lease through them, which seems to be causing a lot of trouble with certain app's and services online......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
ianbuck

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
At best I only got 2.8Mbps but comparing it to the 0.25Mbps I am getting now

I'm surprised the SNR reset didn't fix that, I've just submitted another for you, that should take affect soon but can take up to around 4 hours so do post back if you don't notice any change.
Adam

Thanks for that, but, just checked and still the same 0.25Mbps.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Since two goes at a reset haven't worked I expect Plusnet's faults team will have to liaise directly with BT support to get them to intervene manually. I suspect that will have to wait until Monday. Sad
Do you have an ongoing fault ticket? (Sorry, don't know if one is needed for this.)
David
ianbuck

Yes I've had an ongoing ticket for almost a week now.  Cry  It feels like I have been forgotten.  (We'll do you proud), when???
[Moderator's note by Adie (dvorak):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rule]
ianbuck

Come on Plusnet, do something or at least talk to me. Its taking nearly 10 seconds to open google and by the time I get to the news, it's history. Where's the 24/7 ?

Note the comment  "Slower than 99% of GB" your ads say FAST !
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I'll get this picked up with our faults team, it looks like an engineer may be required.
ianbuck

Thanks Chris, just had a call from support,  BT engineer coming tomorrow morning.