cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this normal?

mistraal

Is this normal?

Hi guys,
Just got Plusnet Unlimited Fibre installed at my home today. I was a BT customer and had originally asked for Infinity but they screwed me around so I'm moving.
My question is this... I know that I'm supposed to wait 10 days for my line to 'stabilise' in speed, but at the moment my speedtests are pathetic. I ordered the 'up to' 76Mbs offer but currently I am getting 10-11Mb/s on btwholesale's speedtest. Should I expect these to improve and get much much closer to the promised 62Mb minimum or is this the expected range of speeds I should be getting? It seems strange that I start at the slowest speed possible rather than the highest.
On BT broadband I was getting 14 - 16Mb/s so if this is all I am going to get then I shall have to cancel as it is nothing like what is advertised and promised on your website.
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Is this normal?

Can you continue to the Further Diagnostics on the BT speed test and also post the current line speed from https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Razorback
Grafter

I migrated to Plusnet Unlimited Fibre last week from BT Infinity last week. At first I too was getting low speeds and was thinking much the same as you . A simple reboot of the router however did the trick and I am now getting expected speeds.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi and welcome to the forums.
At the moment, your broadband order is still showing as "committed" (i.e. it's not complete at the Openreach end). This means that at the current time, I'm unable to test it. I'm hoping the order will complete in the next few hours/tomorrow at which point we will be able to test the line and advise further.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi Mistraal,
Welcome to the forums and to PlusNet, sorry to read of your concerns.
Quote from: mistraal
I know that I'm supposed to wait 10 days for my line to 'stabilise' in speed, but at the moment my speedtests are pathetic.
I ordered the 'up to' 76Mbs offer but currently I am getting 10-11Mb/s on btwholesale's speedtest.
...get much much closer to the promised 62Mb minimum or is this the expected range of speeds I should be getting?
On BT broadband I was getting 14 - 16Mb/s so if this is all I am going to get then I shall have to cancel as it is nothing like what is advertised and promised on your website.

On fibre there is no 10 day training period - that applies to ADSL.  IIRC during the first 2 days of FTTC the line is unbanded and it will establish the fastest stable speed the line will support.  There after the DLM functions as designed - see http://community.plus.net/library/browsing/fttc-dlm-what-it-is-how-it-works/
The "up to 76Mbps" is the speed which the top 10% of users attain and is always dependent upon the condition of BTOR's equipment, which is the same regardless of which ISP you commercially contract with.
There is never a promise of speed, it is an estimate based on the information provided by BTOR from their knowledge of their equipment.  If this estimate is incorrect, this is entirely a BTOR failing, swapping to a different ISP will not alter the estimate, nor for that matter the actual speed.
Your current DATA speed is somewhat aligned to the BT ADSL synch speed you quoted.  I would guess that given that the switch to FTTC has not yet been marked as complete by BTOR, the line management systems (tied to your phone number) are still using the old ADSL profile figures.  Until these are confirmed to be updated in line with the FTTC service, you will not be able to run an objective speed test.
Quote from: http
If your FTTC Circuit has only just been provisioned, please allow 14 days to pass before attempting to run the BT Speedtester as it can take some time for your circuit information to show on all the relevant back end systems.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mistraal,
Sorry to see that you've been seeing issues with the speed of the fibre service.
I've just run through a few diagnostics tests and it seem that everything is now looking fine. Are you still seeing the speed issues or have you seen them improve since Friday?
mistraal

Yes thanks, all is good now.