cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a "Middle Ground" price range on Broadband only?

Mand
Grafter

Re: Is there a "Middle Ground" price range on Broadband only?

Quote from: shutter
So I was wondering.... startup is £6.40 fro 10 Gb....... then the next bracket is £11.49 for 60GB..... why can`t we have a "middle ground" bracket, say. £8.50 for 30Gb ?

The idea with just having Value and Extra and offering Pro as an add on was to simplify the product range. It was felt it was too complicated before.
Lots of people have been asking for a mid-range product though, and the feedback has been passed on.
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: Galaxy
Same here, I am on one of the old products - Broadband Premier Option 1 which I was put on after joining PlusNet in 2004 from BT onto the old Home 500 product at 21.99 a month. I get 13gb unrestricted between 4pm and Midnight, (and then the rest restricted upto 20gb between those times), but outside those hours unrestricted, and I've been upto 120gb a month and never found any limit!
I also pay line rental to BT at something crazy like £17 a month.
I'd like to go over to someting along the lines of the £11.49 (plus 9.95 line rental) product, but there's not an option for more bandwidth, such as 100gb which I could easily fit into now. After 8 years I dont want to move elsewhere as the Customer Service here is excellent.

Is most of your usage between midnight and 8am or 8am to 4pm?
If the former Extra would be great for you, as you still get unlimited usage overnight (between midnight and 8am) and traffic management is more relaxed on Extra.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Thanks Mand..... I hope it works out, so that there is a mid range product....
the comments above about different market s, and other supplier comparisons, are really irrelevant...
and I don`t understand how bringing in a lower Gb usage for a smaller price will make the 60Gb users more expensive....

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Is the unlimited BB still available?
If so, how much would it cost?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Galaxy
Grafter

Quote from: Mand

Is most of your usage between midnight and 8am or 8am to 4pm?
If the former Extra would be great for you, as you still get unlimited usage overnight (between midnight and 8am) and traffic management is more relaxed on Extra.

Most of it is between 8am and 4pm.
Looking at the way the products are managed, then yes the Extra looks like it isn't managed as much as the old Premier Option 1, but that 60gb limit is a bit low..its a pity that the Pro addon doesn't include another chunk of usage
Estragon
Rising Star

I don`t understand how bringing in a lower Gb usage for a smaller price will make the 60Gb users more expensive.

Taking what may not be an extreme case, if 300,000 people are paying £11.99, and 250,000 of those only use 20GB so downgrade to a 25GB product at £8.99, then PN need to find additional revenue of £750,000 from somewhere.
Customer growth due to the 25GB product is unlikely to compensate. 84,000 new ones on it would be needed just to break even.
jim:green correct quote tags added mod:end
shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: Estragon

Customer growth due to the 25GB product is unlikely to compensate. 84,000 new ones on it would be needed just to break even.

Thanks for the (estimated) maths solution.... however. I think that having a middle range product WOULD be more popular with new customers from "other ISP`s".... as there is probably quite a lot out there that are a) unhappy with their rate and charge, b) unhappy with their customer service, and c) would probably jump ship if they could see a middle range product on the tv promotion....as a  "New" product.... Marketing it would make all the difference,. 
84,000 should not be too difficult to achieve over the period of 6 to 12 months..... Wink
Estragon
Rising Star

But like I said earlier, the £11.99 is already cheaper than any other ISP's anything :). So I think that's a better marketing argument, or a short-term discount.
84,000 would be ~13% growth from the last PN figures I saw. That's a lot to ask for on top of whatever is already built into the forecasts.
Also the downgrades would probably take place quite quickly, but the new customers come in slowly.  So even if the income at the end of 12 months was as now, a lot of income would have vanished in the meantime.
Then there's the overheads of dealing with the new customers.
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: Estragon
Also the downgrades would probably take place quite quickly, but the new customers come in slowly.  So even if the income at the end of 12 months was as now, a lot of income would have vanished in the meantime.
Then there's the overheads of dealing with the new customers.

And the engineering cost of building, testing and deploying a new product.
Not saying it won't happen, but it's not as easy as picking a middle price point and usage and pressing a few buttons. Wink
shutter
Community Veteran

Well, you have got 6 weeks to April........  Roll_eyes
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: Mand
Quote from: 4C
I agree, shutter.
Fortunately I migrated to PN in July '08, when the choice was a bit like "pic 'n' mix" with the various flavours of 'Broadband Your Way', plus IIRC Pro, and maybe another one.
If starting from scratch today, with my usage pattern, I'd probably go elsewhere.   Sad

BBYW is more expensive than current products if you're in market 2 or 3.

Ah, if only.  Sad
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)