cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a pattern (another user with broadband dropouts and speed issues)?

FIXED
eccles
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Re: Is there a pattern (another user with broadband dropouts and speed issues)?

Amazon due to deliver new filter tomorrow, I'm out during the day and most of the evening so may be Thursday before I can check if new filter makes a difference or not. Will report fault (if appropriate) once I have checked, so probably on Thursday now.

eccles
Dabbler

Just formally raised fault on my PlusNet account as the new filter made no difference when trying to use "ADSL2+ Auto(G.992.5)" or "ADSL2+ annex M" modulation.  Currently trying to use "...annex M" (since approx 1945hrs) and my broadband is up and down like a YoYo (approx every 10 minutes or so as a worse case).

Unfortunately can't try anouther router as only other one I have is a ZyXel P-630-S1 which Plus Net supplied years ago when I first signed up and it is no longer supported with no driver software post Windows XP.

Perhaps I should consider buying a cheap ADSL2+ modem/router to test my end? Any suggestions folks?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

it is no longer supported with no driver software post Windows XP

Not sure how the OS version has any bearing here … beyond that at the time of the last firmware update for that device XP was the prevalent OS from which it would have been loaded.

This is not the same as a device such as a printer where there needs to be OS resident software to use the device at all.

You might consider doing a full factory resent (to remove any modulation setting changes you've made) and leave the router to freely negotiate the modulation with the DSLAM … and see what happens.  Tinkering with the modulation settings ought not to be thought of as a resolution method for a problem such as this and doing so could well cloud any diagnostic process.

Did you do the QLT?

As for a recommendation, well that would depend on what the issue is.  Personally I've found a TG582n router (with the latest firmware) to be darned good at hanging on to a bad ADSL line … but that is well old in the tooth!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

eccles
Dabbler

Townman, "yes" did QLT and nothing of note other than a very faint 50Hz-like buzz, but very faint.

Issue with driver (if I remember correctly) is that Microsoft changed the driver interface/model/architecture (I think for Win7 onwards) and old drivers will not work with a newer OS.

Confess did try to install initially and "Bluescreened" my Win7 PC, tried on an even older Win Vista PC and while it did not Blue-screen it dropped out of the installation process with errors and would not work.

ZyXel just does not work without hardware drivers being installed, at least all my OS does is say it is an "unknown" device and other than showing some "properties" refuses to do anything with it.

Will do a factory reset on my DrayTek and see what happens.

At present have left modulation on "ADSL2+..." since tried new filter ~1000hrs last night, but difficult to do anything as bouncing up and down like a yoyo and more down than up. Have left alone as thought 'fiddling' whilst Plus Net investigating could 'cloud' the issue - done some fault-finding myself in the past (systems not specifically comms) and remember nothing more 'irrating' than 'helpful' users changing things in the background just when you thought you'd found the problem). Other than that will leave alone until Plus Net ask me to do something.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi eccles, I've reported the fault to our supplier so we should have an update for you over the next few days. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@eccles,

Wow that ZyXel P-630-S1 sure is old!!  Had not realised it was a USB modem … cannot remember when I last came across one of those in use … possibly never!

Found this when Googling it … http://www.plus.net/support/hardware/zyxel_setup_guide.pdf … I though there had been activity to make sure that such ancient stuff could not be found on Google any more!

Any ADSL modem / router ought to be better than this device.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

eccles
Dabbler

Sorry for tardy reply Townman, combination of me being "out" and when "in" unable to get a stable connection for enough time to reply.

ZyXel USB devicenot actually in use, just pulled it out the cupboard to try as only alternative to DrayTek Vigor 2800 I am actually using (yes also "old"). ZyXel was supplied by Plus Net when I first signed up with them in 2006 (checked my records).  Perhaps should have taken their offer of a "new" router when I last changed my package, but at the time thought "don't need another bit of kit I don't use just sat in the cupboard". Oh the joys of hindsight?

As recent events have forced me to check various things, realise Vigor no longer supported, so decided to buy a new router anyway. Now need a stable Internet connection to do some research, or perhaps just "trust" reviews in latest Computer Shopper or some such?.

As you may have guessed, my normal approach is "if it ain't bust, don't fix it"!

Regards.

eccles
Dabbler

Got and installed new router today. Reports that using ADSL2+ Annex A, and has been stable (no drop outs) for around 4.5 hours. So looks like problem was caused by my router failing bit by bit.

Only problem now is "Down Speed" seems to be "stuck" at "2,271,000".

Moral of the story? When offered a free router take it and keep it somewhere safe as you never know when you'll need it?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@staff,

Would a DLM reset be appropriate here please?

eccles
Dabbler

I got a mesage from Plus Net support team (yesterday) that they had requested "their supplier" turns on interleaving as they thought this would help. New router reports interleave is on and it is using ADSL2+ Annex A, but speed this morning has dropped to ~1.15Mb, there was a drop out and restart around 0545hrs this morning (isn't that in the time slot that normally would expect DLM to "tweak" speeds?).

Also ADSL Spectrum (new router reports under "Tone Information", so took me a little time to find it) shows only using BINs below #480, so like ADSL rather than ADSL2+. However, suspect (hope) this is just due to being throttled back by DLM rather than still having issues on the line at higher frequencies(?).

At least with it being stable I can get done the tasks I need to, all be it slower than I would like or am used to (speed test run locally on a tablet reporting 0.95Mbps when previously it would report 5 to 6Mbps), not surprising really as previously router used to report ADSL Down Speeds of around 11 to 13 Mbps and speed at the tablet affected by my "paranoid" AV and security settings, which at today's lower ADSL speed have less of an effect on the final speed seen at the tablet (more time between packets for scanning etc. so has less of an overall effect).

eccles
Dabbler

Sorry just re-read my last reply and realised mention of BINs and ADSL2+ versus ADSL not too clear.

Facts are above BIN #358 only using 1 or 2 bits in a BIN, and above BIN #472 they are not currently in use. On the plus side BINs #38 to #90 are now using 9 or 10 bits, which is double what they were a couple of days ago.

So what I was trying to say, but failed, was that "lower" frequencies are looking a lot better, but "higher" frequencies still don't look "good".

Hope that is clearer and my apologies for any confusion.

eccles
Dabbler

Fix

Plus Net support just phoned to say they tested my line and it seems fine; my new router appears to have fixed the problem. There was a cap on the line due to all the errors I have had the last few days, but they have removed that (reset error counts etc.?) and I should notice an improvement in the line speed shortly.

To be honest, I had just connected a Linux PC when they phoned and was downloading updates and confess to thinking "looks faster than I expected". Checked router and it is now reporting a Down Speed of almost 17.3Mbps and all BINs now seem to be in use with lower frequencies (up to BIN #106) reporting use of 15 bits, number of bits drops after that but only gradually with BIN #454 using 8 bits. Even the tablet is reporting a download speed of 14.24Mbps.

So currently I'm a happy chappy.

My thanks to all, in particular Townman and the Plus Net support team.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Glad to hear things are looking better!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team