cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a pattern (another user with broadband dropouts and speed issues)?

FIXED
eccles
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Is there a pattern (another user with broadband dropouts and speed issues)?

I also have had a number of problems with my (non-fibre) broadband this last week. Started dropping out and restarting every so often since Tuesday (14th Aug 2018). Router logs reporting "PPP Closed : Remote Terminating (PPPoA)".

However, today it was dropping out about every 5 minutes or so between 1200hrs (noon) and 1530hrs, also seemed to be dropping out whenever I tried to access a new URL in my (Firefox) browser.

Ran through the checks recommended by Plus Net with no obvious issues, the last check being to connect into the "test" socket in my Master Socket. At first it didn't appear to make any difference, but having had to go out for a couple of hours I came back and my router logs are saying it has stayed "up" for around 2 hours, but has swapped from ADSL2+ to using G.DMT modulation and reporting that the "ADSL Down Speed" is "1152000" (which I believe is about right for G.DMT?).

Anyone know if something is happen in the Milton Keynes area? I've heard BT are 'working' in the area?

If I still have problems in the morning (after rebooting modem /router to use ADSL2+ modulation again) I intend raising a "ticket" with Plus Net.  Meantime, appreciate any comments or suggestions for further testing.

Tags (1)
27 REPLIES 27
deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Re: Is there a pattern (another user with broadband dropouts and speed issues)?

Hi @eccles

I have checked your account and I can still see drops on the line. Can you confirm that you are currently plugged into the test socket so that we can progress this further for you.

eccles
Dabbler

Yes, still plugged into "test" socket.

Reset modulation to ADSL2+ late last night after ~10 hours "stable" connection using G.DMT but only at ~1Mb.  This morning logs showed was dropping out pretty frequently and only had ~0.6Mb.

Changed modulation to ADSL and rebooted modem/router, seems to be dropping still but not as often as on ADSL2+, but still onlt ~0.6Mb.

I will be out the rest of today (and most of tomorrow), but will be able to check logs and adjust any configs in the (Sunday) morning, else will have to wait until Monday.

Regards,

Eccles.

eccles
Dabbler

When I got home last night (Sat 18th Aug 2018), it had last dropped and restarted at around 1800hrs and was 'stable' but modem/router still reporting "Down Speed" as only ~0.6Mb.

This morning (Sun 19th Aug), logs reporting dropped and restarted ~0545hrs but now "Down Speed" is only "286300" (~0.3Mb), I used to get a faster speed when I had a dial up connection?

Looking at the ADSL Spectrum Analysis, for the "Downstream" only getting a maximum of 2 bits (but most only 1 bit) on each BIN, and no BIN above approx #142 seems to be in use. Upstream BINS are between 6 and 8 bits.

I have swapped the microfilter, so unless both have problems? I have one more filter which I have swapped to now and I'll see if that makes a difference. Will update either tonight when I get back home (about to go out again) or tomorrow morning if late back.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @eccles,

Thank you for confirming that you're currently connected to the test socket. I'm sorry that this issue is still ongoing and for any inconvenience that it's causing you.

I can see from your connection log that the connection is still extremely intermittent:

However, testing your line isn't picking up the cause of this issue. For reference, today's test result is as follows.

xDSL Status Check
Circuit ID: CBUK80929785 Service ID: BBEUXXXXXXX
Telephone NO.: NA Test Executed On: 20-08-2018 09:41:32
xDSL Status Test Summary
Sync Status: Circuit In Sync
General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: PowerOn Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 10.8 17.6
SNR Margin: 10.0 33.0
Errored Seconds: 0 1
HEC Errors: 9  
Cell Count: 558249 1209619
Speed: 619 285

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 11360 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 9088
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 195 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 2812
Indicative Line Quality: R Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 1308
Custom Thresholds
MTBR_RED: MTBE_RED:
MTBR_GREEN: MTBE_GREEN:

Please can you run through our troubleshooting guides here and let us know how you get on. If the issue persists once you've done the troubleshooting checks, please report it  here and let us know when you've completed it - we'll then be able to investigate this further for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
eccles
Dabbler

Thanks for replying and the test information.

Ran through troubleshooting guides as requested (had done this previously, which is why I'm plugged into the "test" socket), nothing obvious to report.

Just before you replied I switched modulation from ADSL2+ to ADSL and rebooted my modem.  After a couple of reconnection attempts it has connected and is currently showing a "Down Speed" of "5012900" and the ADSL Spectrum is showing all BINs up to #255 appear to be in use with 6-8 bits (apart from one around #62 which is 2 bits). Also showing connection been "up" for ~38 minutes (the most for a while).

Intend leaving "as is" for now as I need to enter some results into a cricket club web site.

Once completed that task I will change modulation back to ADSL2+ "Auto(G.992.5)" to see what happens.

Regards

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Hi @eccles,

Glad to hear it's performing better for you now. Please let us know how it goes.

eccles
Dabbler

After a few hours stable operations using "ADSL Auto(G992.3)" I recently changed the modulation to "ADSL2+ Auto(G.992.5)" and the modem initially was reporting an ADSL "Down Speed" of almost 9Mb. Modem's "ADSL Spectrum Analysis" was showing all BINs in use, BINs up to #255 are mostly 6-8 bits, BINs #256-#511 start at 7 bits and step down in stages to 1 bit at around #496 (which is what I seem to recall it was like before I started having problems).

However, it has dropped out a couple of times, but as modem keeps reporting "Training" this just may be both ends learning what speed they can operate at?

Modem currently reporting ADSL "Down Speed" of "8468500" so has dropped a little from initial value after a couple of drop-outs.

I'll leave it an hour or two to see how it behaves (or misbehaves).

However, still think it strange that there was a sudden improvement earlier today immediately without me changing any hardware at my end, only change I had made was to drop to ADSL2 (992.3) modulation, which had made little or no difference over the weekend.

eccles
Dabbler

Using "ADSL2+ Auto(G.992.5)" modulation yesterday evening it was dropping out regularly (seemed like every 10 minutes or so). As I had some online work and it had previously been "stable" using "ADSL Auto(G.992.3)" modulation I chnaged to use that (ADSL) around 1900hrs last night. It was "stable" while I was using it and I got my work done without drop-outs, the modem was reporting an ADSL "Down Speed" of around 5.5Mb.

Log this morning report that dropped out and restarted around 0530hrs, and the "Down Speed" is reported as around 4.5Mb, but has been up since the restart (almost 4 hours).

As I have some more work to do today, I will leave on "ADSL Auto(G.992.3)" modulation for now as it appears stable and I can work with ~4.5Mb (work I need to do is not bandwidth nor speed intensive), mainly entering a few bits of data and descriptive text into a web page or two).

I have decided to buy a new ADLS Microfilter as the ones I have are all of the same age and will have been exposed to the same environement and any 'spikes'.  If that does not make a difference I will log an official fault with Plus Net.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

If the issue persists with the new filter, report the fault here. If you let us know once you have done this we will get it picked up for you. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

What is the quiet line test like? Dial 17070 option 2.

Swapping modulation methods back and forth is not going to overly helpful with for the DLM.

The DS snrm of 33dB is not going to be overly helpful. Is the line banded?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

eccles
Dabbler

Quiet line test seems fine to me, I can hear a very faint 50Hz like buz in the background, but very faint.

Was unable to get new ADSL filetr as poped into PC World in Tescos only to be told they didn't have any. Will order from Amazon!

Whether line is banded or not, I'm not sure, that is a new term to me, confess my networking experience has been more concerned with Enterprise LANs and WANs, but using 3rd party backbone (yes, often BT) which was contractually a "no go area" so left well alone for fear of having my wrists slapped.

How do I check if it is "banded"?

Won't be able to do much this afternoon as I have to "go out" again.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

The banding question was aimed at Plusnet staff - sorry I was clear there.

@LaurenB

@deank

@EmilyD

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

BT Wholesale diagnostics are down for emergency maintenance at present so I can't find out if the line is banded but if you can drop us a reply @eccles once you've reported the fault we should be able to look into things like that by then. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
eccles
Dabbler

Thanks for clarifying Townman. Smiley