cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a 12 device limit to connected devices.

FIXED
cindycchan
Hooked

Re: Is there a 12 device limit to connected devices.

I have to say that I am surprised that Brian was sent a hub one router to resolve exactly the same issues that I reported earlier on this forum and was told that the router I had was working as per the vendor spec. And no more help was offered. I have since sourced my own Hub one and I no longer have problems connecting my devices to the router.
Disappointed with the customer service so will be switching to another provider when my year is up.
Bripnet777
Grafter

Hi,

I think you may have the timeline wrong, as I reported the problem in early  Febuary. 

However, I see your point, but at the time the device limit was not widely known  ( I think! ) and a dodgy router seemed a plausible reason.  The  Plusnet folks checked with their suppliers which took ages but  my searching through A LOT of gadget pdf files.  I realised that the troubleshooting comments of "some routers have a limit of 12-15 device" was mentioned occassionally and then the penny dropped.

Moving suppliers is every ones option, but would have too make sure you get a 2 dual band router or else will have same problem.  A quicker method would be a dual band router from Ebay etc..   a quick search and a few for a tenner or less.  Which I take was the method you decided on.  But it is our choice if want to  wait till out of contract and move supplier or shell out for another router and play with your extra gadgets now which likely cost a whole deal more than a tenner.

Hope you did get all your stuff working properly after that hassle..

Out of interest did you get a BT5 or BT6 hub that some folks had recommened?

regards

Brian

Brian

cindycchan
Hooked

Hi Brian
Thank you for reply and for correcting my misunderstanding. I actually ended up getting a Plusnet Hub One. The router that was giving me the problem was the Plusnet Hub Zero. Ideally Plusnet would supply the Hub One as standard or at least note on their website that the Hub zero is limited. It’s just been frustrating to deal with but your comments are fair. Thankfully all my devices are working now!

Cindy
Bripnet777
Grafter

Hi Cindy,

I certainly was not being sarky or to pull you up on here.  I would also leave Plusnet in a heartbeat if price and service better elsewhere when my contract time due.  Sorry guys  😉     Just too tight fisted...   no comments required,, thank you..

At first I thought the problem was some dodgy Alexa connect stuff from overseas and thankfully did not bin the gear.  But by sheer chance and luck the wife left the house ( bad luck ,, she came back later! ) as I was trying to connect my laptop.  As her wifi signal dropped, the laptop became available... It gave me the hunch to test again with other devices and discovered the routers connection limit..

The dual band routers have been around for a while and at least will double the number of connected devices.  But will be fun and games for anyone getting a single band router ( from any supplier ) and wanting to connect 20 odd devices without realising the upcoming struggle.

No idea how many 270n single band routers that Plusnet have left in warehouse, hopefully none and then problem goes away.... until someone writes in to ask why on their dual band router, they cannot connect 30 devices.!

Thanks for your router info, I just wondered if you had followed the BT5 or BT6 path as some topics have suggested.  But at the moment, everything works fine and no point in my messing it up.

regards

Brian

Mr_Ade

Hi All,

Is Plusnet customer support able to change my 2704 router to one which will be able to deal with more devices than the existing one ? 

Thanks to all the forum readers who have contributed to the 'fault finding', this is going to be an issue for more plusnet customers as more and more gadgets are added to our networks.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for your post @Mr_Ade.

I've just had one dispatched for you and it should arrive within the next 5 working days.

Mr_Ade

Many Thanks to Plusnet- New router received , setup and working very well Smiley  (ok it took a whole day to do it!)

Happy to report that all my devices can all connect simultaneously.

Added bonus that WIFI range seems slightly better

Well done plusnet

Tags (1)
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Glad to hear it @Mr_Ade.

Please give us a nudge should you need owt else.

Thanks,

dls666

hate to do a mee tooo but I struggle with this on a daily basis, usually just put up with it and cycle off WiFi on phone but getting bored of doing that.

Can you resolve this for me?

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @dls666,

I am sorry to hear this is happening, I have checked your connection from this side just to make sure it is fine to the router and can confirm it is looking spot on.

I have picked up your ticket here and replied with our resolution here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
SuperRob

I have the same issue. I have the Plusnet Hub One and can only connect 12 devices. 

What am I doing wrong?

SuperRob

Hi

I can only connect 12 devices too. Can you help?

I have a Plusnet Hub One

Thanks

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@SuperRob,

The 'issue' on this thread was only affecting Hub Zero's (2704n model), not the Hub One router you currently have. You should have no problems connecting more than 12 devices, please factory reset the router try and reconnect your devices again. If you're still having issues can you give us a list of all the devices you're trying to connect (make, model, OS)

Bripnet777
Grafter

Hi,

You are not doing anything wrong.  I nearly chucked some of my stuff out as thought must be dodgy, cheap rubbish.   I think the design/manufacture of routers did not expect the massive increase in number of gadgets we now want to add to our lives.  I have noticed a few recent released routers proudly state they allow 32 ( and 1 case up tp 64) devices, so at least might trickle down to all makers in a few years time???

A comment states that you have a hub one router??    The other 270n thing is 2.4ghz only,, but the hub one is dual band, ie 2.4 and 5ghz.    Presuming all your 12 devices are filling the 2.4 band..  Some gadgets will only work with 2.4, so you have no choice with them.  But suggest you move as many as possible to the 5ghz band, to free up spaces.   Alexa dot and a lot of mobile phones use the 5ghz band..    try each one and see.

The `newer` band at 5ghz, does not penetrate as well as 2.4 band, so if thick walls or some distance from router, it might not be a strong signal.  I live in newish build house.. ie paper thin walls and chipboard, so no problem, but your place may differ.. Try and see!

So,,,,  go to router settings for wifi ... make sure both channels are `on` ... and separate ....  So each SSID has a different name   (SSID  the name of signal you see )   normally its just a figure 5 at end.

Go to your stuff and check for wifi signals, if you see your  XYZ  and XYZ-5  router then connect to  XYZ-5 ..

I found easier to reset Alexa dots and just set up again with the 5 ghz signal. 

Set as much as can to the 5ghz wifi .. Depends how many devices you have already bought or want, but can buy a USB dongle with dual channels for about  a fiver. If  your desktop or laptop does not have 5 ghz in built in.

Depending on your stuff, hopefully the above idea will let you add a few more devices, using both channels.

Good luck

Brian

Bripnet777
Grafter

Hi,

Did you get anywhere with router problems ?