cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a 12 device limit to connected devices.

FIXED
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Is there a 12 device limit to connected devices.

Thanks for getting back to us @cindycchan

We've passed that information onto the relevant team 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Mr_Ade

Hi, I posted on here a while back about a device limit on my plusnet router 2704.

Is anyone from customer services able to sort this out for me?

Getting fed up with it now !

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I'm aware Bob has tested this and has been able to add more than 13 devices to a 2704n, however we have a query open with the vendor to find out a definitive answer.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
cindycchan
Hooked

Id like to clarify that I have been able to connect 15 devices but I’m unable to add a 16th. There is definitely a limit to the number of devices I’m able to use with this router. I am constantly having to disconnect a device to be able to use another and I’m getting fed up with this too. Can I please have a new router? Or at least suggest a reasonable solution.
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @cindycchan, I'm sorry that you're having issues connecting the amount of devices that you'd like to however, to be honest I don't think a replacement router will resolve the issue. As mentioned, we've an open query with the vendor to find out more on this and we'll be able to update this thread when we know more. I'm really sorry for any inconvenience caused in the meantime.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

In way of an update: the vendor has been unable to replicate the reported 12 device limit either. They have however confirmed that the platform configuration is limited to 16 devices on the Wi-Fi interface. This limitation is not at the DHCP layer.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Bluebaron

So what you are saying it that a Plusnet one hub can only have 15 devices connected to it and if you attempt to connect a 16 it will dump a previously connected device at random?

If this is correct it is a serious flaw as many homes now will have 20+ devices. I am a new customer and might have to cancel my contract if I can't fix this issue. 

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Really sorry to hear this @Bluebaron 

I'm unsure if there is a fix for this as it doesn't seem to be an 'problem' (as in, the router performing incorrectly) - the router is performing in line with the vendor information. 

I understand this could be a cause of frustration and will ask if there is any further detail which may be helpful.

Kind Regards, 

MoR

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@Bluebaron I’d just like to add that it’s the Hub Zero(Sagemcom 2704n) being discussed here not the Hub One for a fibre connection. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Bluebaron

Well I have the hub1 but following a call to service centre Ive changed the settings on the router to channel 1 and the agent made some adjustments his end so hopefully should work fine now ill keep an eye on it. Thanks.

robertcowling

Having exactly the same issue as Brian above. Very frustrating. Any ideas yet in how to resolve?

Thanks
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @robertcowling, thanks for your post.

As @Bripnet777 confirmed that a Hub One has resolved his issues, I've just dispatched you one which will be with you within the next 3-5 working days.

Please let us all know how you get on.

Bripnet777
Grafter

Hi,

( and to Help Team maybe useful, quote/delete use as required. )

I asked the original question and apologise for not logging in and reading or replying to some of the posts that followed.  But I spent a fair bit of time on the subject, ( in case the problem was me! ) .  So if it might help others from wondering why adding one more device causes hassle. I have made a few notes.

Briefly.. 

a) speed/connection/line etc was all fine and no problems

b) using original router (240 or 270?? forgoton now,)  but with Alexa toys and stuff, easy to add 12 devices but number 13 will not connect.

c) remove a device,any will do and the last one will be able to work.  But only ever 12 things connected.

d) couple of  messages later and Plusnet guys sent out a later router,Hub one.

e) worked perfectly, even `borrowed` devices and adding up to 21 devices,  ( then thought thats enough playing)

f) a couple of folks recommended alternative router, BT6 etc  But Plusnet has kindly already posted a new unit out to me.

My thoughts on further searching online for info on routers, Alexa stuff  and connections.

1)   I think the new router `worked` because also had 5gHz band as well as normal 2.4gHz, so devices were not all loaded onto one channel.

2)   Later I found online, in some manuals or instructions for Alexa stuff and routers, it mentions some routers have a limit of 12-16 device connections and to check with manufacturer!   So an known limit with routers as possible fault cause.

3) Some routers, (tend to be very recent and more expensive one`s) state they can handle 32 devices.

I do not know the lead time from designing the router circuit boards to being in a box to post out at Plusnet office, but likely to be several or more years   But the explosion of gadgets and toys for Alexa stuff and others, is fairly new.  Even a handful of years ago, the home was more likely to be 1 desktop computer, maybe laptop and mobile phone.  With the posh folks having also Ipads and smart tv`s!

Maybe half a dozen devices which any router could cope with at that time.

I doubt this `connection problem` is confined to Plusnet and lucky they sent me a free new router ( PS  I am not paying for it now ) but I now do not think the problem rests at their door.   As I was the one who bunged in remote lights, speakers and `overloaded` the working at the time router.  But at the time did not realise what was the effect going to be.

I am sure some will disagree, so please, thats fine, you really dont have to tell me or troll.

Also as mentioned another alternative is to swap out your own router, with one that has dual channels.  A friend/mate, someone who has an old one or even the many pages of Ebay ( or other online seller site!)

So for me having a dual band router and making sure you select the 5ghz band where possible, as some Alexa devices will only use the 2.4ghz band.  Will spread the number of connections and maybe double your number of devices possible to connect.   Or check the specs on some other routers.

regards

Brian

Bripnet777
Grafter

Hi,

Just typed a long message concerning what I found out later..   But saw you have a reply saying they have posted a new router out to you.

So as a tip, just try to set as many devices as possible to the 5ghz band and it will leave the other band less cluttered for devices that will only use the 2.4ghz band.

regards

Brian

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi Brian,

Thanks for that little nugget of information, I'm sure it'll come in real handy for anyone who's reading this.

Let us know if you need anything further.

Thanks - LF