cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a 12 device limit to connected devices.

FIXED
Bripnet777
Grafter

Is there a 12 device limit to connected devices.

Hi,
First of all, no problems with broadband speeds and been normal good service..

But after connecting a few `Alexa` devices recently, I had problems using a computer or tablet. Eventually, found by disconnecting the wifi on ANY device. Then I am able to connect any device that originally would not connect.

So, I can have 12 devices ( Alexa stuff/PC/tablet etc ) but if try to connect to wifi on another device. Then cannot have 13 connected, must disconnect wifi on some other one and then will connect straight away.

Does Plusnet or the router have a restriction in place of 12 devices????

Or what to do as the days on one PC and maybe one mobile phone connected are well in the past.
I thought the `theoretical` number connected was 255 ,,, but ony 12 now seems unusable as cannot connect more.

regards

129 REPLIES 129
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Is there a 12 device limit to connected devices.

I've counted 18 devices that I've currently got connected and the wife and kids aren't home at the moment with their phones and tablets pushing that number up.  I'm not currently using a HubOne, but do at times and never had an issue.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @Bripnet777,

There is no limit to how many devices can be connected to the router. Could you try factory resetting the router by holding a pin in the reset hole until the broadband light goes out. Once complete allow up to 15 minutes for the service to reconnect then try connecting your devices.

Let us know how you get on.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Bripnet777
Grafter

Hi,

Thanks for reply.    I have tried the reset trick ( previously and just now as a check )   but still the same thing, 12 devices and thats it.  

Note, never changed any settings of router, always been as sent.

Messing about with the Alexa lightbulbs etc was frustrating,  but by luck I was opening wifi on my phone and saw a message about being unable to connect for IP address.   My wife was on the way out of front door and few seconds later my phone connected.   Then had a possible thought  if problem was of restricted numbers of devices.

I thought routers went up to 255 connections etc, but ,,,  switched on a tablet and no wifi possible.  Turn off my phone wifi and without touching tablet, it connected successfully.   I repeated this `test` a couple of times, just so would not sound too stupid when posted here for any ideas or advice..

for info,,  I`m not too far from exchange, so speeds are top end of maximum rates and router management page shows a tiny drop from max figures.  I live in a Virgin media controlled area, so fibre not an option unless with them and rather stay with Plusnet if possible,

Worse case scenario !!!  might have to go back to the stone ages and remove wifi light bulbs and actually use a wall switch.

Unless,, a good idea of how to solve 12 devices and no more comes up.

cheers

Bripnet777
Grafter

Hi,

Appreciate you taking time to reply.

I`ve done a few `tests` and definately seems 12 is the limit.   I can have a phone unable to get an IP address and simply by disconnecting something else.  It will connect immediatly and the one just disconnected, then will not connect again till I cut something else off. 

I did think up to 255 devices where possible in theory and even my IP numbers ( when looking on listing )  go up 50 and 70 on 2 things.    I think a security camera went on IP 225 or so..      definately not just the range of 1 to 12 for example.

Just 12 devices no matter what the IP address is  ( last number only obviously )

cheers

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note

Duplicate post removed.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Bripnet777

Talking about the stone age, from your last post I assume that you are on ADSL and probably have a 2704n (Plusnet Hub Zero) router.

The wireless performance of these is very poor at the best of times although being limited to 12 devices is a new one on me. My advice is to go onto Ebay or another auction site and buy a BT Smarthub 6. You can get them for about £20. These are far superior. The setting up instructions are here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

You need the FTTC model (most are). These are easily identified as they have four yellow LAN sockets on the back. The other FTTP model has a red WAN sticker fixed to one of the LAN sockets. If you want to go down this route and need more advice do come back here, there's many of us successfully using them.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi again @Bripnet777,

It sounds like DHCP (protocol responsible for assigning IP addresses to devices) is not assigning IP addresses to devices as they join the network past 12 devices. A quick test to confirm if this is the case would be to manually assign a device an IP address for example 192.168.1.90 and if this works, we would look towards sending you a new router under the manufacturers warranty.

You are correct in stating that a large portion of IP addresses will be available and these are up to 253. This excludes IP addresses that are already in use or reserved, such as the router.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Bripnet777
Grafter

Hi,

That sounds a good idea as I do have the 2704n and although has been working very well in my circumstances upto now. 

Maybe my post might help some others who have strange connections problems with more devices been added to households. 

cheers

Bripnet777
Grafter

Hi Jubby,

Using a Raspberry pi ,,  I know dont ask ...   set the IP in the fixed  end code setting of  8, 14  24 ,44, 55, 70, 90, 140,  getting sick now, so bigger jumps ,,  180, 190 ,210 and 234 and all worked perfectly ..    with 9 other devices in home also attached..  I just picked random numbers and made a note of them.   So router definately can use any address already not in use.

You mention a new router, would this be the same as present, the 270n or different type.   If a different type, then hopefully will cure problem.  Another user suggested buying a BT ( spit ! )  router but a free option seems nicer.

Thanks for help and not laughing at original question,   It seemed nuts to me but test after test proved it..

cheers

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Bripnet777

Given the circumstances, I'd be happy to send you a different model of router.

I've ordered this for you now and it should be with you within 3-5 working days.

Best wishes

Dave

Bripnet777
Grafter

Hi,

Thank you for a new different router.   Strange for such a specific fault as otherwise performance has been perfect.  Also that Plusnet has the cost of new router and not me.  😉   

I will have household setup the same when changing over the router.  Then after entering details ( if not already entered in new router ) and checking if connected OK.   I will try to see if number 13 device will connect and a couple more if I can find stuff to add as a test.   That way should prove was the `old` router afterall.

Again, thanks for your help with this problem     ( and other users, who posted in )

I will mark this message  tomorrow night ( saturday ) as been fixed and completed unless get reply to say keep it open.

But either way, I way send again after installing new router of outcome.

regards

Brian

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Fix

That's great, Brian and you're welcome - just let us know how you get on.

Take care

Dave

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Bripnet777 wrote:

Another user suggested buying a BT ( spit ! )  router 

The alternative router will be a Plusnet Hub One, otherwise known as an obsolete BT Home Hub 5A in a different case and Plusnet flaky firmware.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Bripnet777
Grafter

Hi,
You guys took the time to send new router etc,, so update ..

Problem ,, 12 devices would connect to wifi, but no more. Disconnect one and waiting device will connect.. Then no more till another is switched off.

New router (plus one) arrived and now tested with  the Alexa gadgets plus anything I can find. Have had 26 devices connected.. So hopefully bizarre problem fixed.

Thanks to Plusnet help team for help and new equipment also others who replied to original question.
Also to Baldrick1 for his Ebay BT6 router suggestion if Plusnets router plan didn't work.

Cheers.