Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is that my nearby FTTC cabinet ?

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Is that my nearby FTTC cabinet ?

I went to the local BP petrol station to get pint of milk because my local spar shop is shut for holiday. I never walk to my BP petrol for a month. Until today, I notice a new box was installed outside the main road. This box is only nearby my house, just up the footpath about a minute walk away from it.
So, is that a new FTTC green cabinet ? My FTTC expecting go live next spring 2014.
17 REPLIES 17
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Re: Is that my nearby FTTC cabinet ?

That looks like a Huawei cabinet, with capacity for 288 users.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Do u mean for 288 houses only ?
AndyH
Grafter

Techincally, yes.
It's not unheard of for someone with two separate BT lines to have fibre on each.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

My house is only up the footpath (a minute walk away from this new box) does this mean I am within 100 metre of FTTC to get a maximum 80/20 on FTTC ?
AndyH
Grafter

If you put your number here https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/adslchecker.welcome it should give you an estimated speed.
BT's wiring is known to take some very strange loops to cabinets at times!
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I had attached both photo's. You can see before (top) and after (bottom).
AndyH I had checked it, but no metion of FTTC there yet. Maybe BTW won't put on the database until it goes live first ?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You need to make sure that the original cabinet says number 8 on it to be certain that is your cabinet.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

There is no number on that box but I am pretty sure this my green box as there is no other box up the footpath
AndyH
Grafter

I'd put money on the cabinet you've posted is connected to a different exchange.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I found it now: It was Cabinet 6!!!!
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I found my cabinet 8, disappointed it wasn't FTTC box. I hope BT will installing a new Huawei FTTC cabinet to replaced this. I think I stand no chance! Sad
I found from samknows put my house number and post code and it come up with 80/20 FTTC but no dates is given.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I have been told by one of my family member of son who work for BT Openreach had say to me that BT only installing FTTC on the local street by the side of the road only. Elsewhere no chance. He have a look at my cabinet number 8 photo above and sadly it will not replaced by  Huawei cabinet. So, BT FTTC roll out is pretty pointless and unfair really. It about winner and loser, luck of the draw of where u live by the street cabinet by the road.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Got a email reply from BT Openreach
Mr ***********
Afraid I am currently on holiday so don't have access to anything more than the same web access as yourself. That said, all dates are uploaded and if currently your cabinet isn't showing as planned I am afraid it means it hasn't thus far been commercially viable. To be 100 percent fair to all in the UK we run the rules over fibre eligibility at a cabinet level so the most commercially viable cabinets covering two thirds of the population are being upgraded at our cost. This is a 2.5bn pound programme, the largest private investment in the world with no government support or regulatory holidays, but nonetheless there are still disappointed people like yourself. I am sorry. All I can recommend is to lobby your local council. For cabinets that aren't commercially viable for us, the Government has put aside funds to assist.
Regards
Olivia Garfield
Chief Executive
Sound very disappointed that my FTTC won't be coming and never will be. Sad
AndyH
Grafter

Try  nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk
They will take 4-6 weeks to get back to you, but will tell you about the plans for your cabinet etc.
Other things you can do - contact your council. There will be someone involved with BT and they should be able to shed some light on exactly why your cabinet isn't upgradable.