cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is speed restricted lifted automatically at midnight?

Zap
Grafter

Re: Is speed restricted lifted automatically at midnight?

Quote from: jelv
I bet he's not complaining about the delay putting him on to the restricted speeds when he goes over his allowance!

No because there was no delay, it happened in seconds.
Zap
Grafter

Quote from: paulh
@Zap I keep seeing this thread being relit and then seem to see you feeling entitled for extraordinary customer service in order to patch up a situation that you created and could easily have avoided; it may not be surprising therefore if other contributors to the thread seem unsympathetic
Criticise PN by all means when they are at fault (and there's been a few things to complain about recently), but when it's a problem of your own creation, maybe you just have to "suck it up" as my American friends say.

I was quite happy to accept my punishment for a simple oversight, I was even prepared to upgrade my package but then I was misinfomed on this forum, so I cancelled that on principle.
Now that I am aware of the issue I can avoid it, this was the first time I have over used my 15gb.
I made a simple request, I got a reply that placated me saying I would not need to do anything and the request was not serviced.
Now considering the situation, I think if they count the usage from midnight they should run the script from midnight.
As for the poor customer service, we all have a choice in business to do the best we can or the least we can get away with, this affects customer loyalty, it was a small request and they could have done it if they spent as much time thinking about how to help rather than think up reasons why they can't.  It's a mindset.
I know better for the future, you simply can't rely on Plusnet, that is why for me they are a Broadband only provider, I have over 100 domains hosted with 3 other providers, my primary email is with other providers because I have learnt from the past.  This means that their bundle has less value for me and that I have very little loyalty to them.  I don't ask much, I do a bit of email and browsing, I rarely download and I have been a customer for many years.  So when I do make a request it is important to me, that is why I thought ahead and asked for a little help and consideration. 
If I needed a lot of downloads all the time I would change my package, but this is not the case.

Mand
Grafter

I think it's clear that we could have handled this better from a customer service point of view, and I'm sorry that you weren't happy with the responses given.
Our systems do have limitations though, and much as we'd like to we cannot fulfill all customer requests.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Mand,
FWIW, my opinion is that you should concentrate you resources on delivering to the specification of you products and contracts. At the moment PlusNet have serious deficiencies in the performance to specification and that is where you need to concentrate your attention and resources.
Yes, it is nice to have a reputation for going the extra mile to help a customer who is having unique difficulties and whereas I applaud the occasional loaning of hardware and indulgence of neurotic customers who want to know exactly where on the road their Router is, you could leave it to the Bright Sparks and others here to explain your processes.
IMHO, PlusNet is a low cost operation offering economical pricing for products designed to suit a range of needs. These products may not suit everybody and for those who want PREMIUM service with Gold Plating, there are several niche providers offering this at PREMIUM cost.
For this Certified Project Manager,  delivery to specification and contract will do fine. I would rather pay for my own extras than have you spread the cost of the excessive demands of a minority of users. In this context, I am relieved to see that you have discontinued your Unlimited product which was a ridiculous return to your errors of the past.
From my perspective, your biggest operational weakness is your Change Control process which on many occasions, has let loose UNTESTED changes into the production environment. I can't help believing that the current performance problems are largely caused by experimentation with profiles and load balancing on the Production environment to attempt to compensate for inadequate capacity serving a growing customer base.
All of the above is only my opinion and like everybofy who comes here, I am entitled to that.
R
Zap
Grafter

Some valid points in Wheel_nuts post and of course everybofy is entitled to their opinion.
For me if you strive for excellence on the small things you generally end up delivering a great service, as I said before it is a mindset.  Don't get me wrong things have improved from the service before Plusnet became part of BT and I also feel that Mand has made a difference.  However, the culture of a company starts at the top, which is why there was a vast improvement when the old Plusnet directors shipped out.
I agree that there are premium products out there and if I needed them I would be happy to pay for them, but for the most part I don't.
Performance has been variable, I have posted speeds of 1.2mb when 6mb is my usual, the thing is when service is responsive I don't mind as long as I know that Plusnet is working on it and a quick check to these forums usually shows they are.
I have designed and built enough networks to know that sometimes things don't always work as expected, change control is important as is anticipation of customer needs, so having a script ready for one off requests would be useful for customers in future.
What I find strange about the performance issues is that I read somewhere that Plusnet had recently increased their capacity by a third in one part of their network. 
I hate the way the traffic shaping creates an initial pause when you browse, even when it is working normally.
However, with some of these profiles I imagine they have no choice but to try them out to see the impact, sometimes you can over design and the nature of traffic is such that you make things worse.

Mand
Grafter

Quote from: Wheel_nut
FWIW, my opinion is that you should concentrate you resources on delivering to the specification of you products and contracts. At the moment PlusNet have serious deficiencies in the performance to specification and that is where you need to concentrate your attention and resources.

That is indeed our main aim, and *all* the required resource has been routed to fixing the current issues.
Yes, it is nice to have a reputation for going the extra mile to help a customer who is having unique difficulties and whereas I applaud the occasional loaning of hardware and indulgence of neurotic customers who want to know exactly where on the road their Router is, you could leave it to the Bright Sparks and others here to explain your processes.

TBH, this is where I feel we (the comms team) can be at our most effective, we can go outside the standard procedures where it's necessary, and we often trigger changes in process where they're wrong or inefficient.
From my perspective, your biggest operational weakness is your Change Control process which on many occasions, has let loose UNTESTED changes into the production environment.

The only things that go out untested are things which cannot be tested accurately (live db changes for instance), or areas where we cannot reproduce the process on staging (some 3rd party processes for instance), or fixes for problems where an out of hours callout is made (these actually go through retrospective change control, and in some cases we revisit the fix and go for a more permanent solution).
I can't help believing that the current performance problems are largely caused by experimentation with profiles and load balancing on the Production environment to attempt to compensate for inadequate capacity serving a growing customer base.

I can see why you'd think that, but we're adding capacity at the fastest rate ever, and we've got more to come.

Mand
Grafter

Quote from: Zap
For me if you strive for excellence on the small things you generally end up delivering a great service, as I said before it is a mindset.  Don't get me wrong things have improved from the service before Plusnet became part of BT and I also feel that Mand has made a difference. 

From a personal point of view I agree, and thanks. Smiley
Quote from: Zap
However, with some of these profiles I imagine they have no choice but to try them out to see the impact, sometimes you can over design and the nature of traffic is such that you make things worse.

Things like queue weighting changes do need to be done on live. I'm sure you'd all rather we do that occasionally than have a full scale access platform to test on but that was redundant the rest of the time (far better for you guys to have that bandwidth to play with ;)).