cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is speed restricted lifted automatically at midnight?

Zap
Grafter

Is speed restricted lifted automatically at midnight?

Well I thought I would post a ticket before coming on here but it seems that at current response time (Current average response time:50 hours 22 minutes 18 seconds) my request will be futile, unless perhaps there is a bored Plusnet tech hanging around here in His/er tea break.

I had my wrists slapped for downloading the Win7 ISO and my service was cut back to 128k, it is due to go back on the 22nd (tomorrow), so I was wondering if there was any chance this could be done at midnight tonight so I can take advantage of the unmetered download overnight?
Does anyone here know if this is done automatically or does it require a member of staff to do it?
21 REPLIES 21
Emma
Grafter

Re: Is speed restricted lifted automatically at midnight?

A script is run to reset bandwidth, then another is done to do the billing, these are done at slightly different times.
I'm not sure if someone can sit there and do it at midnight for you, as if i remember correctly its done manually.
Someone from comms can confirm this i'm sure
Zap
Grafter

Looks like you were right Emma.  I raised a ticket so that I could avoid having to chase this, got this reply:

My speed was cut back because I went over my 15gb allowance, it is due to be restored back on the 22nd November. Can you please advise whether this will happen automatically and whether it can be set to happen at midnight tonight so I can finish downloading the ISO I need and avoid futher restrictions (I gather there is no limit to downloads overnight).
Many thanks

CSC Analyst 1:56pm, Saturday 21st November 2009
Thanks for contacting us. This will happen automatically on your billing date and there is nothing further that you need to do.

The usage screen has been reset but I am still stuck on

Why is it so hard to get a proactive service, could thye not have run this script ealier as they knew it was important to me?

Zap
Grafter

This example of customer service or lack of it shows that Plusnet still has so much to learn about keeping customers happy.
I waited till 1am and my speed did not return

Would it really have been so difficult to run the script earlier if they knew they could not deliver at midnight?
The impact is that I now have to wait until tonight to download the ISO I need and so I am another day behind.
It is no wonder there is no loyalty and the forums still have people leaving or pleading with Plusnet for reasons to stay.
I won't forget this lack of service in a long time, especially when the ticket was raised suggesting it would be done.
paulh
Rising Star

hmm well the ticket you posted seems to indicate that the script would be run automatically (as it would normally) and not necessarily specially at your request.
I think PN have around 200000 customers. It might be quite hard to provide individualised service to that many people for the amounts we pay ...
it's worth bearing in mind that the reason you're a day behind is that you didn't keep an eye on your usage and so ran into throttling.
one way round this is to use one of the excellent download managers like FDM and FlashGet to run http or ftp downloads in offpeak, of course.
Zap
Grafter

Yes but that is my point, it is the can't be bothered attitude of "well the script will be run as and when", clearly having got their attention the 200k number is irrelevant, it would have taken 30 seconds to run the script yesterday afternoon and it would have made a BIG difference to me as a customer.  This kind of attitude makes the difference and affects customer loyalty, I have been customer for many years.
Thanks for info on download managers, problem is the ISO's I need come from Microsoft and need to be launched from their gold partner secure login so not sure if they can be scheduled but will investigate.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re:Is speed restricted lifted automatically at midnight?

Checking your account now it's showing no restrictions in place, this should have been reset in the early hours of the morning on your billing date.
it would have taken 30 seconds to run the script yesterday afternoon

That's not the case, as the script is written to pick up *all* customers who need restrictions lifting on that day changing it to run for one customer would require a developer to tailor the script, raise a change control (not a small task), get a code review, go through testing on beta and then gamma and then finally get a rollout window.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Zap
Grafter

I am a project manager and this is what I say to my staff:
“The art of great customer service is exemplified by a ‘can do’ attitude, don’t tell me the reasons why you can’t do something, without showing me how you are going to overcome those reasons.”
Perhaps you can learn from this, that it would be useful to have a script to lift a speed restrictions for a single customer.
Besides, I had a ticket saying that a CSC could get the restriction lifted, so clearly he did not think it was a big deal.
Mand
Grafter

We *can* get this done, but to do it for one customer would need the script to be run manually by a network engineer, and there's not too many of those around at midnight I'm afraid. The reset scripts themselves usually run around 2-3am, so if you schedule downloads the speeds would automatically lift partway through, if that's any good as a solution in future?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: paulh
I think PN have around 200000 customers.

PN had around that number when BT bought them. Going by the way the number of gateways has increased I think you could probably double that figure and then you might be getting close.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Zap
Grafter

Quote from: Mand
We *can* get this done, but to do it for one customer would need the script to be run manually by a network engineer, and there's not too many of those around at midnight I'm afraid. The reset scripts themselves usually run around 2-3am, so if you schedule downloads the speeds would automatically lift partway through, if that's any good as a solution in future?

You guy's really don don't get it do you?  Customer Service I mean, we can all do the average, follow the rules and be lemmings.
A long standing customer makes a special request, one that is likely to be requested again and you don't do it.  I am really not interested in the reasons why you CAN'T and DIDN'T, I just want it done.
THAT is how you buy customer loyalty.  This was important to me which is why I contacted EARLIER during the day to request the speed be lifted earlier.  Strictly speaking if my contract runs from the 22nd and your counter starts from the 22nd at midnight then the script should be run at midnight NOT 3 hours later.

Wheel_nut
Grafter

Zap, You claim to be a Project Manager and therefore should know that one of the fundamental principles of Project Management is that you deliver what is contracted - no more, no less.
You are suggesting that PlusNet CS Staff should make extraordinary script runs to satisfy the demands of a moaning customer. Is this really what you are suggesting or have I misunderstood you?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I bet he's not complaining about the delay putting him on to the restricted speeds when he goes over his allowance!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
paulh
Rising Star

@Zap I keep seeing this thread being relit and then seem to see you feeling entitled for extraordinary customer service in order to patch up a situation that you created and could easily have avoided; it may not be surprising therefore if other contributors to the thread seem unsympathetic
Criticise PN by all means when they are at fault (and there's been a few things to complain about recently), but when it's a problem of your own creation, maybe you just have to "suck it up" as my American friends say.
Zap
Grafter

Quote from: Wheel_nut
Zap, You claim to be a Project Manager and therefore should know that one of the fundamental principles of Project Management is that you deliver what is contracted - no more, no less.
You are suggesting that PlusNet CS Staff should make extraordinary script runs to satisfy the demands of a moaning customer. Is this really what you are suggesting or have I misunderstood you?

I don't just CLAIM to be a project manager I am a member of AMP, am AMPM, Prince2 Practitioner and PMI accredited, clearly you know NOTHING about project management or you would know about stakeholder management which is closely aligned with customer service.  We certainly do not have this "no more no less" attitude, sure we try to keep scope tight but we are dynamic and recognise when a small change can make a big difference to our stakeholders.
I was not MOANING, I made a simple polite request for customer SERVICE, as a customer I don't want to know about HOW it is done or that it requires a script or that they have to stand on one leg balancing a peg on their nose, I just want it done.  The use of the word MOANING when referring to a customer shows you too have no idea about customer service.
They offered to do it when I was upgrading even though the upgrade was weeks away so they clearly have the means to do so..
So yes you have misunderstood.