cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my router done for?

root
Dabbler

Re: Is my router done for?

You could always buy another router from a online uk shop.
Try it out (from the master socket) if it does not work return  it under the distance selling act.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Job done.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Thought under the distance selling regs the item had to be in a saleable condition, i.e. in its original packing.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
brenda
Dabbler

Many thanks for all of your suggestions. My master socket is an old thing it looks nothing like the one pictured (thanks) it is not really a box but I will see if I can get into it when I get home. I don't want to give BT £140  Undecided
Yes I am sure that returning one will work as long as it is in its packaging and you just say it is no longer required. I will have a think.
root
Dabbler

The cooling off period and right to cancel do not apply to contracts for:
    • goods made to the customer's specification;
    • perishable goods (flowers, fresh food);
    • CDs, DVDs, and tapes with software, audio or video if unsealed;
    • newspapers and magazines;
    • betting, gaming and lotteries
James
Grafter

As far as I understand it, distance selling isn't applicable when we would incur a loss.  It doesn't apply to broadband sales as we incur costs from BT to set up the connection and so on.
root
Dabbler

@Jameseh
I think you find if he bought it from the plusnet shop he would be able to return it.
Does the plusnewt shop still exist.
James
Grafter

Unlikely though as the shops been defunct for at least a year.
I think it might even be longer than that!
root
Dabbler

Cry Cry Cry Cry
brenda
Dabbler

OK latest

My Master socket does not have a testing thingy in. I thought of someone who might be able to mail me a spare router to try, I am just waiting to see if they have one.
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

If your new router does not work as well, then you have tried everything you can.  You cant check in the test socket as you dont have one, so the best way forward then would be to raise a no sync fault to PlusNet, and arrange an engineer vist.  THey will also in all likelihood fit you an NTE5 master socket at no charge as well, particularly if you ask nicely, and keep then supplied with cups of tea ;).
Also, is your phone line quality OK??  DO you have cracking on voice calls etc. Try the quiet line test, dial 17070 and select option 2, and if you hear any popping/cracking then you can raise a voice fault directly to BT, and this may cure the sync fault at the same time.

If James is feeling nice, he may well sort an engineer vist out for you if it comes to it.  Crazy
zubel
Community Veteran

I'd agree with Penfold - If you don't have an NTE5 type socket, it's actually impossible for you to complete the required tests so an engineer visit is probably the best way forward.
Also, liberally applying tea and biscuits is a very good way to get an NTE5 installed - I've certainly found that the majority of BT engineers will work very well under these types of favourable conditions Wink
B.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

They don't all like tea though Shocked , so have some coffee handy Wink , but yes check for a noisy phone line, you could still get an NTE5 fitted if they come to fix a noisy phone line.
Lucy
Grafter

When I had an Open Reach engineer last year for a problem in the outside line, he just saw my Clarity plate (which was working perfectly well) and changed it for an NTE5 one. No tea changed hands  Grin
puddy
Grafter

I picked up 2 speedtouch 715wl v5 router from digi dave shop on eBay for less than £10 the cost before postage was £1.36 each.  Why get locked in to a contract by getting one from plusnet. The speedtouch 716wl v5 router has 4 ports, wireless and has 2 VoIP ports so make use of VoIP calls and plusnet support this router because they use to sell them
If plusnet raise an invoice then yes you can return it within 14 days plusnet are wrong by saying they sell them at a loss so 14day rules don't count.
example pcworld sell some computers as a loss leader they don’t say we made a loss so you can’t have a refund. Asda sell digital camera at a loss  leader and they don't say no refund
puddy
even digi dave selling routers at £1.36 said I am still covered by the distance selling rules
brenda
Dabbler

Hi
Just to let you know the problem is resolved. It was because I had pressed the reset button on the back of the router so i wiped out all of the settings and after the ISP problem was resolved, I could not get back online. Thanks to all who offered advice.