Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my line in training?

FIXED
Doorman
Grafter

Is my line in training?

I've just re-joined plusnet (service went live about 6 days ago) and wondered if there's a way to check if my line is in training? I thought I would have seen some speed/sync variations and reboots in the router stats but the only changes I've seen is on the two occasions I had to do a forced reboot while having some teething problems with local network connections. Speeds are around 2mb slower than last time I was with plusnet so wondering if they will improve on there own

15 REPLIES 15
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Is my line in training?

I believe that the training time is 10 days. The important thing is not to reboot it during this time in case it's assumed to be a line limitation.

With the uptake of broadband use, especially streaming, in recent years crosstalk is increasing, adding to background noise on telephone lines. This causes a slow down in sync speed. Over the past few years I have lost 9Mbps from my fibre sync speed.

All you can do at the moment is give it time.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Speeds are around 2mb slower than last time I was with plusnet so wondering if they will improve on there own

Is that the synch speed or the actual throughput that's reduced?  The training period won't generally improve the synch speed, but depending on what profile was applied in the first instance it's possible that either the BT profile or Plusnet's is applying a restriction. 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting in touch @Doorman

As advised above your line's training period is 10 day and this starts from when the order is completed.

I've tested your line and I can see that your router is currently in sync with the exchange at a rate of 14.9Mbps which means you should be seeing download speeds around the 13mbps mark.

This is well within the estimates for your line of 7 to 12.5mbps at this moment in time. It may be that when you were with us previously your line was put on a 3db target which offers slightly faster speeds.

The DLM (Dynamic Line Management) software at the exchange may move you onto this after your training period is over but this ultimately depends on how well your line performs.

If there's anything else we can help with let us know

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Doorman
Grafter

Thanks for the replies. It resynched at a higher speed, presumably when you tested it and a speed test result is now roughly what I would expect.  The only reason I posted is that the router stats suggested it hadn't resynched at all during line training apart from the two occasions I forced it to and I had expected to see it do it a few times.  All seems fine though.

Just one more thing. I'm using an old router (Plusnet branded 2704N)  and the firmware is showing as 7.275.2. Does this need updating?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting back to us @Doorman.

Generally speaking, your router should only resync during the training period if DLM wants to make any changes to your line.

Currently, your line quality is Amber which means as it stands DLM won't make any positive or negative changes.

With regards to the router firmware, it appears you're using an older version. This likely won't cause you any issues but I've asked the relevant team to push out an update.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Doorman
Grafter

Thanks @MatthewWheeler 

Any idea how long it will take for them to do the firmware update? Just checked and no change.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @Doorman,

Looks like the products team have tried to push a new firmware down but the router isn't showing online in the tool to update. We've removed it from the account and re-added it. Can you please perform a full factory reset and let us know when you're back online so we can let them know to try again. 

Doorman
Grafter

@JOLO 

OK I can do that but before I do, can you tell me what login details I will need to use after the reset as I assume my current user chosen ones will no longer work. Is there a default username/password?

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Doorman

The factory reset will change all of the logins back to the ones on the base/back of the router.

If the reset reverts your username and password back to default in the router's hub, you can update them by following the information I've raised on a ticket for you here.

Best wishes

Dave

Doorman
Grafter

@RandallFlagg 

Thanks for the info. Factory reset now completed so can you try again with the firmware upgrade now? Thanks.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Doorman 

I've requested this to be done for you now 

Thanks, 

MoR

Doorman
Grafter

@MasterOfReality 

Still no firmware update. Is there still a problem even after the factory reset?

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Fix

Thanks for your post @Doorman.

I've just updated the task that we'd raised as I can see that the products team has asked us for further information.

We should receive an update within the next couple of days and will update you directly here as soon as we do.

Doorman
Grafter

@OskarPapa 

Just got home and looks like the router updated to newer firmware about 12 hours ago.  All seems to be working fine so thanks to all of you for the help.