Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my connection banded?

lenseman
Grafter

Re: Is my connection banded?

Quote from: grahamt
It seems to be quite normal for banding to remain for much longer than three days, however stable your line is. Maybe you can get released after three days the first time you get banded, and then the interval increases thereafter.

Hi Grahamt,
I have never been banded before and its now day fourteen. The fact that I am paying for a product that a third party is restricting is the annoying part. The product is damaged enough by Plusnet's throttling and now we suffer with BT using a banding system they cant control. BT are using a flawed system and ISP's like Plusnet are letting them get away with it.
John B.
grahamt
Rising Star

It's hard to see what ISPs can do, other than keep badgering BT (which I'm sure Plusnet do - see James' messages). Even when an ISP voices its annoyance with BT publicly, as for instance Andrews & Arnold do on occasion, e.g. http://aaisp.blogspot.com/2009/09/sor-11107-disable-21cn-bras-rate-limit.html, it doesn't change much immediately.
(Edit: I included that link to A&A before I saw that Oldjim had already quoted it in another thread. Great minds... not that mine's that great.)
However, with enough badgering from enough other ISPs, I'm pretty sure BT will improve their DLM software eventually. I suspect their own customers will complain loudly once they are moved to the 21CN in large numbers and see that they should be getting the 'up to 20mb/s' speeds touted in the BT ads.
Admittedly, until that happens, it's a pain.
Graham
amjrobson
Grafter

I think that my line is Banded been stuck on 1152 download now since monday, its a long way off the 3500 + LLU was giving me.  It has been suggested that Perhaps BT should come out to take a look at my line.  Since being activated on 21CN on th 17th Sept, the line was constantly up and down , SNR jumping up and down from anything from 6db to 25db.  It seems set on about 19db now and stuck to 1152.
Would the advised BT visit sort this. Or does the line get banded because of an underline line fault somewhere.
James
Grafter

I've attached a picture of the various bands.
We have no control over which band is being applied nor do we have any control over whether or not it is turned on or off.  We can ask for it to be switched off though.
John - Leave it with me and I'll see what I can do.
lenseman
Grafter

Thanks James,
John B.
amjrobson
Grafter

James,
How do I get banding turned off then, I think I am being banded between 576-1152.  I have a ticket outstanding from trial request and am being advised to get a BT visit to sort the line. 
James
Grafter

@Lenseman
Banding has been turned off.
@amjrobson
We only remove banding in extenuating circumstances.  Lenseman is a 'special' customer.  You are currently on a 576K - 1M band, but this should be removed following a period of stability.
If it's still not removed after a week, then let us know and we can manually intervene.
lenseman
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Lenseman is a 'special' customer. 

Roughly translated = Damned Nuisance!

Thanks James
amjrobson
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh

We only remove banding in extenuating circumstances.  Lenseman is a 'special' customer.  You are currently on a 576K - 1M band, but this should be removed following a period of stability.
If it's still not removed after a week, then let us know and we can manually intervene.

Thanks for the response, it has been connecting at 1152 since last monday, how long does it need to remain stable for before it will remove the band.  Is it worth BT comming out to investigate a potential line issue then as being suggested on my support ticket.  I dont want to have to pay BT costs if there is nothing wrong with the line except for the Banding.
James
Grafter

It's generally 3-5 days.
Hang on - You seem to be syncing at 2670Kbps.
Has this just changed?
amjrobson
Grafter

James,
Yes you are correct, just checked my line and it resynced at 11:32am and is now at 2670 download.
Pehaps I spoke to soon and the Banding lifted automatically.
scootie
Grafter

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,79591.0.html
as you can see here james my banding got removed at last after many MONTHS of STABILTY.
James
Grafter

Yeah, I know.
I'm referring to ideal world situation.  Ie: the product actually does what it's meant to.
lenseman
Grafter

Thank You James.
My sync speed is nearly what it was before the problems in June.
On the BT test it is saying my profile should be 6000kbps so just got to wait for my Plusnet profile to catch up (hopefully before BT screw it up again).
John B.